• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Guns for Cannon

thetrailboss

Staff member
Ok,I'll be Dougie downer.I don't think these guns are a great choice for a lot of Cannon terrain.They are really great in wide open and more importantly,calm wind situations.This eliminates a lot of Cannon.The wide and open slopes of most Zoomer trails is a great example.The tower guns they have switched to the last 10 years don't cover 1/2 the trails in calm conditions.As most of us know calm and Cannon are not words that are generally synonomys.I've watched too many times in windy conditions these tower guns blowing snow down to I-93 instead of on the trails or most commonly right back in the woods.IMO the ground mounted whale making guns have always looked like the most effective way to make snow at Cannon.JMO

Agree.

Cannonball

I agree with SIKSKIER on this. But I don't consider it a downer. Cannon builds a base in the tress faster than any other Mtn. This additionsal capacity should fill in Kinsman nicely!

bobbutts

From what I remember Rocket was arguing for expenditure on snowmaking instead of the Mittersill chair
Don't let the facts get in the way of the personal attacks though.

Cannonball

From what I remember Rocket was arguing for expenditure on snowmaking instead of the Mittersill chair

I don't think he'd like to be characterized as arguing FOR any expenditures at Cannon. He may have pointed out that snowmaking would be a better investment than the Mittersill lift IF you were going to spend money anyway.

But I agree, no point beating him up if he isn't even in the conversation.

JDMRoma

Excellent......Cant wait to Ski Cannon......Its been MANY years since Ive been there !!

AdironRider

What still amazes me is that he called his website taxpayersFORcannon.com. Odd use of words there compared to his overall point.

witch hobble

Hey Bob......go back and read the thread. There were no personal attacks. Tongue in cheek references to a board member's agenda that is so overt he created a website and Facebook group to support his position? Yes.

Fair Game IMHO.

Last edited:

Puck it

Info from the website on the new guns

$1Million invested this season in snowmaking, grooming and trail improvements. Over 130 new high efficiency snowguns targeting the Front5, plus snowmaking for the first time on Jaspers and key areas on the summit. We also added a new Prinoth BISON to our fleet of state-of-the-art groomers.

guns.jpgOver 130 NEW high efficiency snowguns, spread across the Front5 and in key areas on the main mountain!

1bison.jpgNEW Prinoth Bison Grooming machine to add to our fleet!

bobbutts

Hey Bob......go back and read the thread. There were no personal attacks. Tongue in cheek references to a board member's agenda that is so overt he created a website and Facebook group to support his position? Yes.

Fair Game IMHO.
Whatever, call it what you want. Most of his opponents (who put words in his mouth when they don't have anything to actually disagree on) are either friends with current management, people who want Cannon to continue to be poorly managed so it has shorter lift lines than it's competitors, or group thinkers joining in and slapping virtual high-fives.
Clearly Cannon can't even be discussed here without the thread turning to crap.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Nice pic from Facebook:

995886_711039462256886_1192192210_n.jpg

witch hobble

Whatever, call it what you want. Most of his opponents (who put words in his mouth when they don't have anything to actually disagree on) are either friends with current management, people who want Cannon to continue to be poorly managed so it has shorter lift lines than it's competitors, or group thinkers joining in and slapping virtual high-fives.
Clearly Cannon can't even be discussed here without the thread turning to crap.

Bob.....not trying to pick on you here.....BUT......it was you who put words in his mouth in this thread by implying that he was in any way "for" a snowmaking expenditure. We all know that is malarkey. And "personal attacks" are real things, and he has been the victim of them both here and at snowjournal. BUT that is not what was happening in this thread. So I think you were a bit off base, and contributing to the crapification of the thread as much as anyone. He is a member here who (at least on this board) has evolved into a one trick pony......easy to caricature.....like highwaystar.......or OkemoMountain :) ........he can jump in and clarify his position if he wishes.

bobbutts

Bob.....not trying to pick on you here.....BUT......it was you who put words in his mouth in this thread by implying that he was in any way "for" a snowmaking expenditure. We all know that is malarkey. And "personal attacks" are real things, and he has been the victim of them both here and at snowjournal. BUT that is not what was happening in this thread. So I think you were a bit off base, and contributing to the crapification of the thread as much as anyone. He is a member here who (at least on this board) has evolved into a one trick pony......easy to caricature.....like highwaystar.......or OkemoMountain :) ........he can jump in and clarify his position if he wishes.

I hear you and we're not too far apart on this.