• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hermitage club

Angus

the Jordanelle Gondola doesn't really service any ski terrain but just the private homes that have been developed along that side of resort. drjeff - how much of the terrain do you think is covered (or planned to be) by snowmaking and is there enough H2O to support near full coverage in a lean snow year?

jaytrem

BTW, the most exclusive ski club, yellowstone, does not have a gondolla anywhere on their massive mountain. All HSQ's for the most part.

Yeah, and most of the lifts are 1/2 bubble 1/2 open chair. The best of both worlds. Big Sky also has one like that now that they aquired Spanish Peaks. The best of both worlds.

gmcunni

a comfy bubble with no lift line for a relatively short ride would be my preference, if i were well off enough to belong to such a place.

Jcb890

700 memberships sold now. They just sold about 16 million of property in 1 day, about a month ago the day they they put units in their about to break ground and scheduled for occupancy for the '16-'17 ski season, base area hotel up for sale (24 units sold during the kick off event for members they had) - As I have heard from members, they have passed the "critical mass" point of memberships sold so that the dues income will cover annual estimated operating expenses. They are expecting to reach their "maximum capacity" membership point in the next 12-18 months. It is off the ground for sure.

Agree with the gondola thing - the only possible exception that I've experienced is the Jordanelle Gondola at Deer Valley where they took a cabin designed for 6 people and put only 4, very comfortable, leather seats in it, along with heat - not your typical plastic seat gondola there ;)

Here is one:

Those are what I was referring to with a classy/luxurious gondola. With the money The Heritage Club is charging (and getting), one would think they could afford to make a pretty comfortable and luxurious gondola setup. Though, like others have mentioned, for the distance and time it is traveling, a gondola may not be the best idea and/or worth it.

Domeskier

Those are what I was referring to with a classy/luxurious gondola. With the money The Heritage Club is charging (and getting), one would think they could afford to make a pretty comfortable and luxurious gondola setup. Though, like others have mentioned, for the distance and time it is traveling, a gondola may not be the best idea and/or worth it.

the sauna gondola might be pushing it:

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2013/06/worlds-outrageous-gondolas

drjeff

the Jordanelle Gondola doesn't really service any ski terrain but just the private homes that have been developed along that side of resort. drjeff - how much of the terrain do you think is covered (or planned to be) by snowmaking and is there enough H2O to support near full coverage in a lean snow year?

I have to disagree a bit here. Sure there are many, high priced mansions in the Deercrest section of Deer Valley where the Jordanelle Gondola is one of the 2 main lifts on that peak, but to say that it doesn't really service any ski terrain isn't correct, as there's some solid cruisers over there as well as some decent pitched bump runs. And that's just the terrain that the public gets to ski, and doesn't even include the private ski to/from trails that service houses over there that aren't on a major, public ski run.

Water won't be an issue for the Hermitage Club, right now they can cover about 90% of their terrain with snowmaking, and they did a solid job from what I experienced the day my daughter had a race there in March. And in the '16-'17 season when Mount Snow gets their snowmaking reservoir on line, the Hermitage will have about double the water that they have now available as under a current agreement that Mount Snow/Peak Resorts/the old ASC made when the sold off the Haystack, they (Mount Snow) has access to now half, and at one point when Haystack wasn't operating, pre Hermitage days, about 90% of the water in the Hermitage's snowmaking pond which has an aggressive refill rate - Mount Snow used that water essentially just for all the terrain features for the parks at Carinthia, so we're not talking about a small amount of water here that the Hermitage will soon have access too - Water is a non issue for the Hermitage and their snowmaking capabilities

Angus

Really haven't read this thread but it got me thinking about this thing. Haystack has quicker access to home - I'm assuming this is a fairfield - westchester county/NYC type of clientele. Looks like there is a golf club. You can let your kids loose - don't need to worry, work a bit on Saturday/Sunday, take a few runs, nice shared amenities, et cetera.

I looked at the website at the membership fees - lot of $$ for the avg. joe but not crazy (comp. to higher end CC). Not sure about real estate but I can see there is definitely a segment of the ski market that would go for this. I don't ski a lot in soVT but I'm always amazed by NY plated cars - hi-end SUVs - tearing down 91 on Sunday nite trying to get home...always think it would grow old.

Talisman

Yeah, and most of the lifts are 1/2 bubble 1/2 open chair. The best of both worlds. Big Sky also has one like that now that they aquired Spanish Peaks. The best of both worlds.

Oddly the Yellowstone Club also has a Poma, so not all the lifts are deluxe. The many time I have skied at Big Sky, I have only seen people actually skiing at the YC a few times.

machski

Oddly the Yellowstone Club also has a Poma, so not all the lifts are deluxe. The many time I have skied at Big Sky, I have only seen people actually skiing at the YC a few times.

Yes, Yellowstone club has several surface lifts and fixed grip chairs that connect it to Big Sky. I have never seen these run (I assume owners may have a key to run when needed similar to Loon's south peak double from the river). I have seen the lifts on Yellowstone proper running with very few skiers on that huge terrain. Must be nice.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Loon's South Peak Double is key operated? No kidding! I did not know that. I would figure there'd be some liability issues in allowing that.

drjeff

wonder what color the Hermitage bubble will be? green?

i prefer the Mt Snow blue.

attachment.php

attachment.php

It's supposed to be orange, with heated seats, but made by Dopplmayr, not Leitner-Poma. L-P made both the Bluebird and Sunburst 6, Dopplmayr made the orange bubble quad at The Canyons in Utah

I'm partial to the blue colored bubbles too ;)

deadheadskier

Staff member
why don't they do clear? The colors just seem so fake/plastic/unnatural. Yes, I recognize that a ski area with lifts, RE and mountainsides carved up is about as unnatural as it gets, it's just to me the colors make it look like a Disney ride, not a chair.

drjeff

why don't they do clear? The colors just seem so fake/plastic/unnatural. Yes, I recognize that a ski area with lifts, RE and mountainsides carved up is about as unnatural as it gets, it's just to me the colors make it look like a Disney ride, not a chair.

My favorite color bubble that I sat in, was 4 years ago when Mount Snow announced they were going to put the Bluebird in, they had a single "demo bubble" chair, mounted on a wheeled assembly, that was in the base area. It had a smoke gray tint to it. Just enough tint so that folks like myself with blue eyes who are sensitive to bright light had some tint, but not too much to make it look too out of place.

As much as I enjoy the fun of getting chair #50 on the Bluebird (the golden bubble), my eyes, especially if it's on a sunny day, appreciate the greater degree of tint that the blue bubbles give. Same thing with both the Orange Bubble at The Canyons and Sunburst 6, the orange is a bit bright for my eyes comfort, especially when it's sunny out

drjeff

First world problems :lol:

Yup!!

Because of all these colored bubbles now we actually have to think about how the color of our goggle lenses will interact with the color of the bubble, rather than just will the color of our goggle lens make us look cool! :lol:

First world problems indeed! :))