• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best southern vermont option for Dec 14-15?

FRITOLAYGUY

Heading up to Ct for a baby shower for that weekend. I know the weather could be hit or miss and i dont wanna drive the extra hour to Killington which would likely have better conditions, so what resort in S Vermont would be the best option at that time of year for best conditions/open terrain do you think based on the past?

ScottySkis

Depends on weather I like Mountain snow more then Stratton or Okemo but in the past year the North helped Okemo have more terrain then MT snow because when it was 29 at Okemo and Stratton it was 33 at Mountainsnow so the other had more open. I say just wait and see who what open a week before you go.

trackbiker

I would agree with Scotty. Play it by ear. Two years ago around that time Kmart was the only thing open and they were blowing snow on the one top-to-bottom trail. Last year Stratton was great and I don't like Stratton. If it gets cold Mt. Snow has the best snowmaking with those fan guns if it's a cold December. I will be skiing around the same time and will check the conditions and reports and likely go with a Liftopia ticket. But be aware if you choose Mt. Snow, they usually require you to buy the ticket 2 days in advance as opposed to one. But most areas have good deals that time of year. Can't remember what it was but Stratton had a good deal last year and that's one of the reasons I chose it. If you can squeeze it in, Mt. Snow has $12 tickets on December 12th on their website and Liftopia.

steamboat1

Forget what year it was, it was awhile ago. Skied VT. on Nov. 28-29 & most of the areas that had already opened were close to 100% open on the lifts they had running. It was a good early snow year. Skied K & all of K-peak was open in addition to Snowdon & Ramshead. Next day skied Okemo & everything was open off the Northstar (name?) lift. Let's hope history can repeat itself.

ScottySkis

Forget what year it was, it was awhile ago. Skied VT. on Nov. 28-29 & most of the areas that had already opened were close to 100% open on the lifts they had running. It was a good early snow year. Skied K & all of K-peak was open in addition to Snowdon & Ramshead. Next day skied Okemo & everything was open off the Northstar (name?) lift. Let's hope history can repeat itself.

2001? The year it just snowed from Thanksgiving to April it was epic.:):):)

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Mount Snow will give you the best terrain and variety, if there's enough snow. Some of the naturals on the North Face can be really good with enough snow. Plus they don't groom the whole darn mountain. Stratton and Okemo are able to open much more terrain faster than Mt. Snow, but all the trails are groomed and pretty easy.
If naturals are open, go to Snow.
If it's a "typical" Southern Vermont December, and places are still relying on the man-made, go to Stratton or okemo.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Mount Snow will give you the best terrain and variety, if there's enough snow. Some of the naturals on the North Face can be really good with enough snow. Plus they don't groom the whole darn mountain. Stratton and Okemo are able to open much more terrain faster than Mt. Snow, but all the trails are groomed and pretty easy.
If naturals are open, go to Snow.
If it's a "typical" Southern Vermont December, and places are still relying on the man-made, go to Stratton or okemo.
Agree on this. Blast from the past...You moved to FL?

4aprice

Fall 2007. Cold snap in mid-late November allowed for major snowmaking (maybe some snow up north too). Camelback Pa opened thanksgiving weekend with over 1/2 the mountain open and was at 100% by Christmas.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

slatham

Don't rule out Bromley. Yes, smaller mountain, but in the early season the difference between what they will have open vs the other areas(save Killington) will not be significant. But on a "terrian to crowd ratio", Bromley will beat them all!!!

steamboat1

Fall 2007. Cold snap in mid-late November allowed for major snowmaking (maybe some snow up north too). Camelback Pa opened thanksgiving weekend with over 1/2 the mountain open and was at 100% by Christmas.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
It was longer ago than 2007. My daughter was with me & she was very young (now 24). I'm sure there was man made but for the most part it was all natural snow. We've had several good days late Nov. early Dec. One year I remember having a major snowstorm the first week of Dec. (couple of feet maybe). Even NYC got hit with that storm.