• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Customer Service Stories (good or bad)

steamboat1

Chances are, the policy is so strict because they experienced some abuse of it in the past. For example, somebody buying up a whole ton of quad packs, then reselling the tickets for price higher than he paid, but lower than the individual ticket price. As a general rule, mountains bend over backwards to keep their guests happy. If they refuse to work with you, there's for sure very good reason why they aren't. Sucks, but it is what it is.

I'm pretty sure last year was the first year they sold quad packs so it wasn't from experience with them but you're absolutely right anyhow. Up until a few years ago Sugarbush ski club bulk tickets you could buy from clubs was your actual lift ticket. No need to go to the ticket window to redeem a coupon, just get on the lift & go. People were buying these things & then selling them on e-bay for a profit since there was no identification required. This is the reason they are so strict with ID now. The only problem I had with ID was because I couldn't physically get there to redeem them in person. I am the purchaser. Giving/selling them to friends/anyone is perfectly fine by them but I had to be there. I could do whatever I wanted with the tickets after I had the tickets. Kinda hard to drive up there with a hard cast on my driving leg. I would of had no problem selling them to friends otherwise. I wasn't looking to make a profit, just recoup some or all of the cost.

Last edited:

snowmonster

I have too many good stories to share about Sunday River's customer service that I don't even know where to begin. From helping me to find parking, to pitching a tent in the parking lot to help my friends have a barbecue to listening to (and doing something about) our suggestions, they go the extra mile for me all the time. SR insiders would like to take credit for pushing management to open early. To a lot of them, it was SR listening to its customer base and delivering what it wanted. There's a reason that SR regulars don't normally come on this board to blast SR management. I think it's really because of the good rapport between management and customers. We feel like they listen and try to deliver what they can. There were times when I was on the fence about renewing my season pass then I would remember how well I was treated the year before and it became automatic. I am across the planet right now walking around in a Boston Red Sox/Sunday River cap. That was in itself a customer service moment.

I am no insider at the River (some of my friends are but I just sort of pop in and out of the resort). One day, some guy was randomly talking to me about stuff. I mentioned some thoughts about having more variety in the food court. I told him to take a look at the variety of people in the lodge. It was no longer a very homogenous crowd. Lots of non-western Maine residents patronized the resort. A year later, there were new concessionaires at South Ridge including an Asian-themed restaurant. Turns out the guy I was randomly talking to was the GM (or someone who worked closely with the GM).

Another time, I mentioned to the lifty that I thought the hats they wore were pretty neat. She asked if I wanted one. I said yes but didn't want to be any trouble to her. She said she'll just head in to the lodge and told me to come back after my run. Next run, she handed me a nice new SR lifty's hat and told me to be quiet.

I miss the people at SR already!