• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington Nov 17 2013 ... Springish... and now I can prove my speed

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
I guess you guys don't know I used to be a (not really that good) racer. Sucked at slalom but super G seemed more up my alley.

You skied 19 times last year, you raced a couple of times, and you're a "fairly expert skier" who thinks it's cool to try to set speed records on a crowded early season Killington fog day?

Let me know what ski areas you are skiing in advance so I can avoid those places at all costs.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I know I said this in the other thread (haha) but I can regularly hit mid 50's on steeper stuff. That's with a few turns. I do start to get a bit nervous at that speed.

I wish we had some video or a screenshot of your app ;)

GPS can have errors but usually they are pretty close for me.

bdfreetuna

It was the upper middle part before trails merge.

I watched the app while skiing a couple times there was never a weird speed spike. Guess we'll see.

I never said it wasn't slightly dangerous but the trail was wide open so no one else in danger

I posted a video from Berkshire east last year slaying the whole mountain you could see I was probably faster but not dangerous at all

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AlpineZone mobile app

Madroch

Maybe you were on kmh- not mph? I use both ski tracks and alpine replay- and ski tracks almost always gives me a higher speed- but it isn't by too much- 2-3 mph

bdfreetuna

Nope mph.

Anyway so how many of you think this is dangerous skiing? This is me at Berkshire East last year. I think the speeds I hit were similar to at Killington, probably a little faster in this video actually.

Puck it

Nope mph.

Anyway so how many of you think this is dangerous skiing? This is me at Berkshire East last year. I think the speeds I hit were similar to at Killington, probably a little faster in this video actually.

I will give you maybe 40mph in that video. What run was that? We have the time it took to get to the bottom and we can get the distance from google earth and give you an average speed.

BTW.

Bullshit!!!!!!!

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
GPS can have errors but usually they are pretty close for me.

You guys need to read that epicski thread that was linked to. Consistent >20 mph difference btwn actual speed (by radar gun) and app - at low speeds. The skew is probably even greater at higher speeds. Plus, that guy posted 130mph. That alone should be enough to prove that the app is garbage.

If you really want to settle it, though, I'm sure someone going to the AZ Sugarloaf thing is a cop. Just have him bring a radar gun and then you can measure your dicks with it.

WWF-VT

I will give you maybe 40mph in that video. What run was that? We have the time it took to get to the bottom and we can get the distance from google earth and give you an average speed.

BTW.

Bullshit!!!!!!!

Looking at that video - if that is 70+ MPH - then I regularly must hit about 100 MPH on some of the steeper runs at Sugarbush

Puck it

After watching that video, I've decided that not only are his speed claims ridiculously bullshit, the above quote is the biggest lie in this thread.

Nobody is complementing your shitty turns.

You are right. The turns are not anyhting close to a super G turn even from this view. Also not even in a tuck and doing 70mph.

Bullshit yet again!!!!!!

moguler6

This guy is funny. In a speed suit full tuck on DH skis you'd be lucky to hit 50 on Chute. If you hit 70 on those skis in that video you'd crap your pants as they'd be so unstable it's ridiculous. From that video I don't think you even hit 30.

bdfreetuna

skitrack.jpg

Maybe the app is totally bogus. I'm not trying to out race anyone I just like to rip down the hill and see if there's some way I can find out how fast I'm going.

Thanks for all the kind words anyway. Guess I'll take the speed thing out of my sig.

Puck it

View attachment 9544

Maybe the app is totally bogus. I'm not trying to out race anyone I just like to rip down the hill and see if there's some way I can find out how fast I'm going.

Thanks for all the kind words anyway. Guess I'll take the speed thing out of my sig.

I have tucked Avalanche at Cannon from the cat track trail racing the Tram on my gs skis a few years ago.

And I did not even come close to 70mph. 50mph tops.

Get a new app. Cell phone service plays a key role in the calculation also. Try sticking your head out of your car window at 76mph and see if felt the same as yesterday.

BTW. Bullshit!!!!!!

Bene288

It's weird that the top speed clocks high yet the average speed clocks low at18.3 mph. I wonder what makes it spike in the max but not the average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bdfreetuna

Half the time the app was on, I was riding up a chairlift. As you can see from the graph.

Well I figured this would be somewhat controversial. Didn't expect so much hateraide. I'm not a liar about anything just posting my experience. I'll stop posting app results and try not to plow into you guys on the slopes.

Puck it

Half the time the app was on, I was riding up a chairlift. As you can see from the graph.

Well I figured this would be somewhat controversial. Didn't expect so much hateraide. I'm not a liar about anything just posting my experience. I'll stop posting app results and try not to plow into you guys on the slopes.

Did it feel like this?