• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington Nov 17 2013 ... Springish... and now I can prove my speed

Bene288

Everything else on that app shot seems pretty accurate to Killington. It's weird just the speed is out of whack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C-Rex

:popcorn:

I love these threads.

The app is more accurate in things besides max speed because it has more date points with which to calculate those things. Max speed is probably calculated by finding the most distance you covered between data points. If it takes a data point, say for example, once every half second, and you cover 50 feet between the two, you're doing 100ft/sec. Now, a phone GPS is only accurate to around 10 yards, if that, it certainly could be less accurate, and almost certainly will not be more accurate than that. For the sake of this post we'll say it accurate to within 10 yards. So that gives you +/- 20 yards of error in the distance calculation since we're talking about 2 data points. This means if you actually traveled 50 ft between data points, the phone may think you traveled anywhere between 30 and 70 ft. That will throw off your max speed quite a bit but average speed and all the rest will be ok because with more data points comes more accuracy.

dlague

View attachment 9544

Maybe the app is totally bogus. I'm not trying to out race anyone I just like to rip down the hill and see if there's some way I can find out how fast I'm going.

Thanks for all the kind words anyway. Guess I'll take the speed thing out of my sig.

I think this is where everyone starts to develop doubt

Since the fasted speed recorded in world cup ski racing is 100.6 MPH (very brief) and average speeds (full run) of the best world cup skiers are around 79 MPH and the average speed going through the finish line is around 47 MPH under world cup skiing conditions with no fog, I have to say your story becomes a little hard to believe. Remember they have skin tight race suits on! The wind resistance alone on you jacket and ski pants makes this story tough!

Plus what if a deer jumped out on the trail - you would have scared the shit out of it! Sorry dude - I think skiing fast is fun but no mater what anyone says - it is dangerous no matter how good someone is.

bdfreetuna

Well I guess I wasn't going 76 since the app seems unreliable, so dontcha worry too much

Trust I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the numbers on the app. I figured I was doing more like 60-something but I believed what the app said.

Puck it

Well I guess I wasn't going 76 since the app seems unreliable, so dontcha worry too much

Trust I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the numbers on the app. I figured I was doing more like 60-something but I believed what the app said.

Free apps are never right, you should have paid the $0.99 for the full version.

dlague

That's ok - you are not the first to make such claims and you will not be the last! Funny thing is - the result is always the same!

dlague

Do you have a better choice? HS is the real deal!!!!!!!

Na! Skiing is chill - everyone will do their own stuff and just enjoy the season for what it is worth! The best challenge is within yourself!

Everyone has a story - take them with a grain of salt! If you see it - great - you are a witness! If not - it is a story!

Puck it

Na! Skiing is chill - everyone will do their own stuff and just enjoy the season for what it is worth! The best challenge is within yourself!

Everyone has a story - take them with a grain of salt! If you see it - great - you are a witness! If not - it is a story!

You doubt the "Highway Star". Sacrilege!!! I say.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
:popcorn:

I love these threads.

The app is more accurate in things besides max speed because it has more date points with which to calculate those things. Max speed is probably calculated by finding the most distance you covered between data points. If it takes a data point, say for example, once every half second, and you cover 50 feet between the two, you're doing 100ft/sec. Now, a phone GPS is only accurate to around 10 yards, if that, it certainly could be less accurate, and almost certainly will not be more accurate than that. For the sake of this post we'll say it accurate to within 10 yards. So that gives you +/- 20 yards of error in the distance calculation since we're talking about 2 data points. This means if you actually traveled 50 ft between data points, the phone may think you traveled anywhere between 30 and 70 ft. That will throw off your max speed quite a bit but average speed and all the rest will be ok because with more data points comes more accuracy.

That was a good explanation. I would add that probably more accurate speed sensors use more than 2 data points and place them on a curve so it averages out, so your max speed is really the max speed you had over, say, at least a few seconds as opposed to that microsecond top speed.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

60 sounds totally reasonable and doable. It's a significant difference to nearly 80.