• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington Nov 17 2013 ... Springish... and now I can prove my speed

bdfreetuna

I have yet to see a video that does that trail/course justice. Very intimidating

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

On the sharp turns, no way. On the straightaways, yeah that looks about right. That's a wide open slope on clear conditions and perfect snow. If you guys can't pull that speed at least on the straighter areas... well where's the snail animated smiley face then.

bdfreetuna

Random question: So how many of you have actually even felt the tips of your skis lift up off the ground and chatter on a straightaway or long arc from speed?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Alright guys. I know everyone wants to pile on Tuna and give him an internet wedgie for his epic claim, but keep it clean.

And Tuna; two things.

A. You HAD to know this was coming after what happened the last time you made claims of setting land speed records on skis

B. If you do wish to try to set speed skiing records in spring conditions, have the shop texture your ski bases in addition to having wax applied. Texturing helps channel water away from the base of the ski and reduce the "suction" high water content snow can put on your bases; enabling you to go faster.

bdfreetuna

I don't mind it's funny this got 12 pages of replies. Of course the topic was flame bait. Some people take themselves kind of seriously thougth.

Yeah I never bothered to texture bases except on XC skis.

Puck it

I don't mind it's funny this got 12 pages of replies.

Yeah I never bothered to texture bases except on XC skis.

• Like treads on a tire, ski bases need structure reduce drag (see below).
  • Your skis need to ride on a film of water produced from the friction of your base and edges cutting through the snow.
  • In cold, dry snow the structure should be fine and shaped to hold water a little longer under your ski since so little is available under these conditions.
  • On cold crystalline snow, the ski base should be as smooth as possible so the points of friction are minimized.
  • On amorphous, wet snow, a coarser structured ski base is better to minimize the points of friction. Pockets of air between the ski base and the snow means that water is repelled from the ski base reducing the braking effect (like a beer glass sliding on a bar -if your below 21, watch a cowboy movie- a flat-bottomed glass won't slide as well as one with an air pocket).
  • In warm, wet snow the idea is to move the water away from the base and reduce suction.
i_fine_base_dry_snow.jpg
i_coarse_base_wet_snow.jpg

Puck it

Wow. At the beginning, it was funny. Now I just feel a great sadness and hopelessness for the future of the human race. Please, bdfreetuna, do the world a favor and never procreate.

He could father the next Steve McKinney though.

Puck it

I got close to the "Tuna" speed yesterday on Great Northern between Killink and Upper Bunny Buster!!

speed.jpg

MadMadWorld

Random question: So how many of you have actually even felt the tips of your skis lift up off the ground and chatter on a straightaway or long arc from speed?

I'm not a racer but knowing what I know about skiing, this is probably not a good thing at really high rates of speed. You want a lot of contact with the snow on straightaway and you want as much edge contact as possible on turns. Watch the video linked above and you see little if any chatter from that racers skis.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app