• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington Nov 17 2013 ... Springish... and now I can prove my speed

bdfreetuna

I'm not a racer but knowing what I know about skiing, this is probably not a good thing at really high rates of speed. You want a lot of contact with the snow on straightaway and you want as much edge contact as possible on turns. Watch the video linked above and you see little if any chatter from that racers skis.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

Yeah of course you want to minimize chatter. I was just wondering if the people in this thread thinking they ski fast and I can't have even experienced it before.

High tuned GS/alpine skis are of course going to chatter less at speed than a pair of all mountain skis though.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I don't mind it's funny this got 12 pages of replies. Of course the topic was flame bait. Some people take themselves kind of seriously thougth..

Ignore the people that take themselves to seriously. These kind of threads are what make forums so much fun. It's totally awesome and all in good jest. Hopefully you feel the same way :)

bdfreetuna

Yeah I'm glad to provide a little entertainment. Saw that video last year. Ooof.. coulda been a lot worse though.

Thank God for the age of helmets.

bdfreetuna

Yeah I'm glad to provide a little entertainment. Saw that video last year. Ooof.. coulda been a lot worse though.

Thank God for the age of helmets.

Madroch

Nick- I remember that magic report from last year- great day and ouch that had to hurt.... unfortunately I think the guy in the vid I am referencing is no longer with is...

steamboat1

Believe me hitting a tree is no laughing matter. Hit one at Pico about 10 years ago. A few busted ribs & two broken wrists. Thankfully I wasn't going fast at the time. If I were I don't think I'd be here posting right now. It happens so fast you really don't have time to react.

dlague

Believe me hitting a tree is no laughing matter. Hit one at Pico about 10 years ago. A few busted ribs & two broken wrists. Thankfully I wasn't going fast at the time. If I were I don't think I'd be here posting right now. It happens so fast you really don't have time to react.

That's true! Yet how many here have arc'd a hard turn at good speed and thought - edges don't fail me now!

steamboat1

That's true! Yet how many here have arc'd a hard turn at good speed and thought - edges don't fail me now!

I've never been a speed skier or liked racing, not that I ski slow. I prefer quick, short turns enjoying every vertical foot of the mountain, but I understand what you mean.

I guess you've never hugged a tree even at moderate speed.

Tree's still there, I say hello to it every time I ski Pico.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
:lol::lol::lol::lol: :popcorn: Trying to keep my shit together reading this thread! That was fun. For the record I have been radar gunned at Burke on Lower Warrens way from the CCC road down to where it starts to level out. I made two runs in the smooth fast and wet spring corn conditions. The first run I hit 57. I then stripped off my jacket to reduce drag. Second run I hit 63. I was in a full tuck. At that speed my non-racing helmet was being sucked off my head and stopping was somewhat dicey and difficult. I have MAY have approached those speeds a few other times on steeper sections of the mountain under ideal, but I guarantee I've never hit 70. 70 is plaid fast. Here is a video of me skiing Burke's Willoughby trail. On the section of Lower Willoughby starting around the 1:11 mark, I maybe hit 45. That seems to be closer to Tunaspeed :razz:. Anything over 60 is hauling ass and you need to reduce drag to do get there.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
70 is plaid fast. Here is a video of me skiing Burke's Willoughby trail. On the section of Lower Willoughby starting around the 1:11 mark, I maybe hit 45. That seems to be closer to Tunaspeed :razz:. Anything over 60 is hauling ass and you need to reduce drag to do get there.
I rewatched Tuna's Berkshire East video and I wouldn't put over 40 anywhere on that run. And yes I did mean 70+mph is "plaid" fast :grin:.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Further analysis of the B.East video indicates a run length of about 3700'. Minnie Dole top to bottom with 400ft of extra length added to account for turning on skis. Divide that by the runtime of the video and you get an average of 27 mph. As far I as can tell the fastest speed on that run was near the bottom on the last pitch of the groomed Lower Minnie Dole. The 610 feet of that are covered in 10 seconds or 41 mph after doing the math :-D.
In my Willoughby trail video, I cover about 850’ in 13 seconds at my fastest section, or 44mph. I’m sure I’ve approached the 60mph on that trail with no one on it but I couldn’t go any faster due to wind drag. You can ask those that have skied with me and they will tell you that I ski pretty slow :eek:

Last edited:

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Now these guys are going fast.
I estimate I've cracked 55 on the lower half of Haines. I could have reached the 60 mark but the blind rollers in the bottom 3rd force some speed conservation. Since it is a closed course the guys above don't have to worry about that and they are in speed suits with racing skis reducing drag to a low value.