• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington Nov 17 2013 ... Springish... and now I can prove my speed

bdfreetuna

Got up there like 9:45.. exceptionally fast drive cuz I put 91 octane in the Impreza Outback and my car was like trying to do wheelies the whole way, roads were clear.

Hit K1, skied some stuff of the north ridge. It was kinda slushy but nice. Springy. Visiblity was horrible, a really foggy day with some light drizzle. Nothing to get bummed out about but made it hard to see.

Interesting moments..

Meeting a group of kids from VT in the Gondi and apparently K has a new sign that says there may be law enforcement at the top of the Gondi so no smoking weed in the Gondi. We all thought that was stupid.

Meeting a bunch of guys from Columbia and Ecuador..

Eating lunch with a group from Quebec..

It's always something different at Killington.

So I got the Ski Tracker App and all you who said no way I hit 80mph+ at Sunnapee a couple years ago can now kiss my buttox because I got confirmed 76.4mph just going down Snowdon today. I took another faster run probably 82mph but I had the GPS off and I had to stop for ski patrol. And that's in low visability. Anyway. Proof's in the app!

Here's some pix.

IMG_20131117_120027.jpg1452548_629358637131942_21600774_n.jpg1455923_629315020469637_750938275_n.jpg1457516_629315053802967_467715441_n.jpg

WWF-VT

So I got the Ski Tracker App and all you who said no way I hit 80mph+ at Sunnapee a couple years ago can now kiss my buttox because I got confirmed 76.4mph just going down Snowdon today. I took another faster run probably 82mph but I had the GPS off and I had to stop for ski patrol. And that's in low visability. Anyway. Proof's in the app!

Thanks for the comedy. Those GPS apps are highly inaccurate and it's very unlikely that you can hit 75+ MPH in those conditions.

bdfreetuna

Seemed accurate to me, I was monitoring it all day. Several other runs I came in around 70 so it wasn't a fluke.

I guess some like to ski fast and some don't!

Puck it

There is no section on Snowdon you could hit 60 and not plow into someone. I call "Bullshit".

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
There is no section on Snowdon you could hit 60 and not plow into someone. I call "Bullshit".

I completely agree, and if you did hit 76mph in the FOG today, with hundreds of people divided onto 10 trails, I call you crazy. No wonder ski patrol stopped you. There's a time for speeding, but not in the fog with tons of people.

bdfreetuna

Ski patrol didn't stop me. I slowed down and he said nice skiing and I told him id probably slow down I was just trying out the new app.
Haters gotta go get some turns in n relax. I'm a fairly expert skier and not out of control even once today.

Can't deny being a little crazy but I'm probably one of the safer skiers around esp when it comes to other people. Killington was not crowded today, there were several clear shot opportunities. This was one of those days you could stop on a dime.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

wakenbacon

76 mph on early season crowded slopes with low visibility, you are definitely one of the safer skiers on the mountain.

Savemeasammy

I use an app called Alpine Replay. I'm not sure about it's accuracy, either, but since I don't think I've ever seen it log me in at over 40 mph (except when I forgot to log off before driving home!), I tend to believe it. Maybe you could run a few apps while you ski and compare notes? 70+ mph is a crazy fast sort of speed downhill racers reach.

Puck it

Ski patrol didn't stop me. I slowed down and he said nice skiing and I told him id probably slow down I was just trying out the new app.
Haters gotta go get some turns in n relax. I'm a fairly expert skier and not out of control even once today.

Can't deny being a little crazy but I'm probably one of the safer skiers around esp when it comes to other people. Killington was not crowded today, there were several clear shot opportunities. This was one of those days you could stop on a dime.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AlpineZone mobile app

if a ski patrol saw you do this and did not do anything then that patroller should be fired immediately.

Where on Snowdon was this speed achieved?

bdfreetuna

Chute was the trail. Uncrowded and straight. The patrol saw me skiing fast but also there was nobody around and I was carving the turns not like in a full tuck.

tt431.. nice! haha

If the ski tracker ever gives me a number over like 90... which is like probably the max I could go in a full tuck down Berkshire East in perfect conditions.. I wouldn't believe it. Until then, seems legit. I guess you guys don't know I used to be a (not really that good) racer. Sucked at slalom but super G seemed more up my alley.

Puck it

Chute was the trail. Uncrowded and straight. The patrol saw me skiing fast but also there was nobody around and I was carving the turns not like in a full tuck.

tt431.. nice! haha

If the ski tracker ever gives me a number over like 90... which is like probably the max I could go in a full tuck down Berkshire East in perfect conditions.. I wouldn't believe it. Until then, seems legit. I guess you guys don't know I used to be a (not really that good) racer. Sucked at slalom but super G seemed more up my alley.

The pitch of Chute with the snow conditions yesterday, there is no way that was real. What part of Chute? The lower section has a lot of traffic and fences to slow traffic also. I was there until 2PM yesterday.

Also, I would not refer to myself as a safe skier. I call bullshit again.

Madroch

No dog in this spat-- but having skied Okemo in the fog/mist/soft snow yesterday... seems unlikely-- I have gotten some really crazy readings from my GPS also-- I maxed out upper 30's (if that-again the science is imperfect) yesterday and with the vis it was as fast as I felt I could responsibly go...but if you did it good for you... glad I wasnt anywhere near ya though....and 90 ain't happening... that is les arcs fast

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
If the ski tracker ever gives me a number over like 90... which is like probably the max I could go in a full tuck down Berkshire East in perfect conditions.. I wouldn't believe it. Until then, seems legit.

Dude just posted 139 mph, well more than any downhiller and approaching the all time record of 156 mph (set with ridiculous speed suits on ridiculously safe courses), and YOU need to get over 90 to believe that these apps don't actually measure your speed correctly?

Wow.