• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Favorite Early Season Trail?

MadMadWorld

Most mountains start their season with same trail year after year....which one is at the top of your list and why?

xwhaler

Grey Ghost is the 1st trail to open every season at Saddleback---great continuous pitch to let em rip.

jimmywilson69

Lord > North Slope at Stowe. 2100 vert; over a mile and a half long.

THIS!

I have started my season at Stowe in December the last 5 years and this run is really such a great run. It's very good intermediate terrain that covers a lot of vertical and length. It is not only great early season, its great intermediate terrain all season long.

Stowe is blowing snow on lift line and anticipates that it will open with their official opening this weekend. They have never been able to make snow on Lift line this early.

jimmywilson69

Stowe has invested something like $8 million the last 2 years to modernize their snowmaking equipment. I know that in the last 5 years Liftline was only open once in Decemeber when I go. in December I agree that at is a choice, but November they are working to get the Lord>Northslope route open.

MadMadWorld

THIS!

I have started my season at Stowe in December the last 5 years and this run is really such a great run. It's very good intermediate terrain that covers a lot of vertical and length. It is not only great early season, its great intermediate terrain all season long.

Stowe is blowing snow on lift line and anticipates that it will open with their official opening this weekend. They have never been able to make snow on Lift line this early.

Why wouldn't they be able to blow snow on that versus something else? The same lift would be used for Lord or Liftline

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

Domeskier

There is no early season in the snow dome. Only pristine mid-winter conditions year round.

CoolMike

Count me as a second vote for Flying Yankee at Ragged Mountain. That trail is wicked fun.

I use the flatter section at the end of that trail to practice carving while riding switch. In a few weeks If you see someone take a nose dive on the run-out there with a huge smile on his face it may be me!

drjeff

Fully biased here, but the Cascade to Canyon route at Mount Snow keeps me happy at the beginning of the season for sure. 1600+ feet of verts, about 1.5 miles with a mix of narrow and wide and with early season base depths, plenty of natural terrain still in play before it gets burried and "smoothed" out under a few feet of base. Make a run, hop on the Bluebird Express, and repeat about 7 minutes later! Worked for me last weekend, and I fully expect that it will bring a few smiles to my face this weekend too :)