• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak vs. Sugarbush?

canobie#1

The bush is better. There's a lot more to do after hours when the sun goes down in mad river, better variety of trails and faster lifts. Jay is going to far with their expansion crap, sugarbush cut of at a great time. Nice base but not overwhelming. Jay is annoying me with the expansion. They act like they still care about the locals and die bards but in the end, all they want is the stupid tourists money.

As for trails, don't miss:
Middle earth (most underrated trail IMO)
And everything else on castle rock
Ripcord
Spillsville
Paradise
The mall
lower fis
FIS
All their glades (they're awesome)

steamboat1

From the map, I really like the look of the trail "Lower F.I.S." which seems to go all the way off into nowhere (my kind of trail!). Is this one natural snow only? How is it?

Lower FIS is natural snow only. I wouldn't rate it as a black trail but it is a long beautiful intermediate run when it has good snow. One pitfall is that it's a long traverse with walking/skating involved back to the base area at the bottom. Otherwise it's one of my favorite trails on Mt. Ellen. I'd ski it more often if it weren't for the long traverse back to the base area. I've always hoped they'd put a lift in & develop that side of the mountain more but who knows it'll probably ruin what's there now.

edit: In addition to the trails mentioned above I would also recommend Tumbler & Hammerhead which start at mid- mountain just to the right & left at the summit of the lower GMX chair at Mt. Ellen. Very rarely hear people mention them but I happen to think they are two of the best trails at Mt. Ellen. They are bumped up naturally (no seeded bumps here) & never see grooming. Once again they are natural snow only trails.

Last edited:
But....it's the type of trail that offers a full range of variety. Secluded, steep in parts, bumped up in some areas but always a way around of that's not your style. Natural snow makes it one of the best choices for late pow and if you know where the runout is you can get enough speed to knock off a good portion of the traverse. I'm still trying to find a way to cutoff the angle to the traverse through the woods, but haven't been really successful so far. All in all a great trail!

xwhaler

Rumble and Middle Earth for sure...Cotillion is also great. Egan's woods on LP is also really fun.
Enjoy....Sugarbush is an incredible mtn

steamboat1

If it's crowded at Lincoln Peak don't be afraid to use the Valley House chair which rarely has a long lift line. Lot's of good terrain off of this lift. I have spent a whole day just skiing terrain off this lift alone. Trails previously mentioned such as the Mall & Egan's Woods are off this chair. In addition you have Steins Run & Twist which are expert runs not previously mentioned. Moonshine is also another good trail that's rated intermediate but skis more like an expert trail. If you want cruisers you have Spring Fling & the trail to the outside of that (forget the name) which offer some of the best intermediate cruising terrain at Sugarbush. Just a suggestion.

edit: (forget the name) = lower Snowball.

Last edited:

Lostone

Trouble with Sugarbush is there is never any snow!

Made the turn on Murphy's, last March and saw the pic from October.

The pic from March 29:

DSCN3486r   .JPG

And from October:

DSCN3486r  DSCN5638a,r .JPG

HowieT2

Lower FIS is natural snow only. I wouldn't rate it as a black trail but it is a long beautiful intermediate run when it has good snow. One pitfall is that it's a long traverse with walking/skating involved back to the base area at the bottom. Otherwise it's one of my favorite trails on Mt. Ellen. I'd ski it more often if it weren't for the long traverse back to the base area. I've always hoped they'd put a lift in & develop that side of the mountain more but who knows it'll probably ruin what's there now.

edit: In addition to the trails mentioned above I would also recommend Tumbler & Hammerhead which start at mid- mountain just to the right & left at the summit of the lower GMX chair at Mt. Ellen. Very rarely hear people mention them but I happen to think they are two of the best trails at Mt. Ellen. They are bumped up naturally (no seeded bumps here) & never see grooming. Once again they are natural snow only trails.

Lower fis has good woods leading into it and through it. The trail and woods are obviously conditions dependent. The run out is long and and exerting, so I like to do it as my last run heading into lunch.

how many days are u skiing?

HowieT2

2 days this season so far, planning 3 more this week. Non at the Bush planned yet but I'm sure I'll get in a few before the season's out.

Sorry, I was asking the guy coming up for mlk weekend.

So I'm a bit biased, but hitting Slide Brook, Exterminator Woods (area), North Lynx (don't overlook the great vert and expansive terrain) and finding stashes on Castelrock is tops in my book. Lots of skiing, little crowds and a great vibe in the Mad River Valley makes it tops for me.

canobie#1

How is exterminator and the exterminator in the woods? Never explored it

skifree

I'm actually debating $40 jay peak tickets vs cheap lodging at the bush with full price tix the weekend after mlk
. Probably let weather dictate my decision.

thetrailboss

Staff member
How is exterminator and the exterminator in the woods? Never explored it

Exterminator tends to get good snow in it...thanks to drifting and its elevation and exposure. A fun run. Nice and long. It has a few steep drops, but overall good pitch. Exterminator Woods: it's OK. I never got too excited about it personally. Just don't go over the backside.

thetrailboss

Staff member
...and I see talk about Lower FIS. A real gem for sure. As is Spinout. Au naturale experience. Nice consistent pitch, great narrow trail feel, seclusion, and a nice long run. When Win took over they used to do early season at North, and they did a good job maintaining that trail so that they could open it ASAP. That was a nice treat. Yes, the runout is a pisser, but that's what makes it special and so secluded. And it's not THAT bad. I wish that there were more trails like Lower FIS personally.