• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dope-slap things I have done when skiing

twinplanx

You have to put your foot in the brake. Inadvertent starts should be a non-issue. Inadvertent drive offs with no way to restart the car after shutting it off though is another story! It is a nice feature to have when getting into the car at the end if the day. No fishing around for the key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So this is NOT a remote start?

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

Savemeasammy

So this is NOT a remote start?

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

No. Where there would normally be a keyed ignition there is only a push button. When you press the brake and push the ignition button, the car starts as long as the key is in range. Sadly I don't think remote start is a possibility for this car...!

Savemeasammy

I'm surprised it will let you put it in drive and move the vehicle without the key being in range...

Me too! The alert system for this is actually pretty lame. There is a chime and the on-dash display says "key out of range" for a moment. It's very easy to miss. It should be more annoying the way a seatbelt warning is. It's kind of a big deal!

Savemeasammy

The jackass who left the cargo carrier open all day at sugarbush - with the key right in it? This guy right here. If it were a powder day, this might be completely excusable. It was drizzling. I've got nothing....

HD333

The jackass who left the cargo carrier open all day at sugarbush - with the key right in it? This guy right here. If it were a powder day, this might be completely excusable. It was drizzling. I've got nothing....

That could be looked at as a good move, you didn't loose the key, right?!?!?! And I bet it was much easier to just throw the gear in rather than have to put all the gear down and find the key and open up the box....efficiency.

Dickc

That could be looked at as a good move, you didn't loose the key, right?!?!?! And I bet it was much easier to just throw the gear in rather than have to put all the gear down and find the key and open up the box....efficiency.

And those new skis you absolutely hate are now an insurance claim..........

dlague

Several years ago, we were parked pretty deep in the parking lot at Pats Peak. We knew we were going to be staying around for Après Ski so I actually skied down to my truck at the end of the day and parked it closer. When I went back inside, we had a great time with friends in the Sled Pub , but when I went to start the truck it was clicking - left my lights on! :sadwalk:

Same place different day. Skied all over the place! When we went to leave - could not find my keys. Earlier, I had remembered that my keys were in my outer pocket. Well, when searching for my keys I realized that the pocket became unstitched. I misplaced my backup set. a few days later, it cost me $350 for a mobile locksmith to come to make a new set of keys. About three weeks later, I got a call from Pats Peak - they found my keys. The date on the paper work the day after I lost them! :evil:

Pats Peak has bad luck for me!

I now have a truck with auto shut off lights and I keep a valet key in my wallet, I have an extra set at home and I never bring my keys with me skiing!

In my teens (age 14) at Sunapee;

I was with a bunch of buddies and we were knocking around on the terrain park (A place where I wouldn't dare be caught in now!). After lunch, the park crew debuted a bunch of new features and I was pretty stoked. They had this thing called a Whale Rail which was way out my league (The demonic thing goes up, down, then back up again!). I got peer-pressured by my buddies to go try it out.

My first attempt I had way too much speed and when the rail dived down I went airborne. I almost cleared the little rise at the end of the rail, but my tips slammed into metal and it quickly devolved into a full out yardsale. I was *this* close to breaking my collarbone.

Despite this horrifying experience, I tried it again. This time I approached too slow and got stuck at the top of the rail. I did the splits and came *this* close to losing my manhood. I hurt like a motherf****r and the mock cheers from the lift didn't help. The worst pain I have ever experienced in my life. Needless to say, my adventures in the terrain park will no longer include the demonic Whale Rail!

Fortunately all injuries were *this* close to occurring, but did not happen. I did deserve a dope-slap for trying the rail a second time.

Last edited:

Rowsdower

The first year I started snowboarding (I was 12 to put this into perspective) I met up with some of my friends at our local hill, Bear Creek. Now, at school I had bullshitted way too hard on how good I was. It was only my third time up and I could barely get halfway down without falling or long stretches of slowly sliding down sideways. Anyway, I was deep into my lies of how I had been "hitting these mad kickers" in the terrain park, and didn't want to fess up, so for our first run we all went up to the terrain park. I didn't even make it to the park entrance. There was a snowmaking whale part of the way down the run to the park. I went up and over it at speed, freaked out and windmilling my arms like a champ landed flat on my back. Once we got to the bottom I admitted it was only the third time I'd ever been on a snowboard and I wasn't that good. No hard feelings were had, and I even got complemented by my one friend saying I was actually pretty good for having just started out. We ended up just cruising easier trails and having a great time in the end, so it worked out for the best.

emmaurice2

Bump...

Went to Catamount yesterday (1/20/14), excited to ski for free with a pass I got for Christmas. Getting dressed at the car and realized I packed two left-handed gloves. Tried one of them on backward but the way the glove is sewn made it impossible. Ended up paying $30 for new gloves... Had a great time, anyway!

Cornhead

Bump...

Went to Catamount yesterday (1/20/14), excited to ski for free with a pass I got for Christmas. Getting dressed at the car and realized I packed two left-handed gloves. Tried one of them on backward but the way the glove is sewn made it impossible. Ended up paying $30 for new gloves... Had a great time, anyway!

Enjoy your new gloves, I started walking to the lodge Saturday with my skis still on top of the car, DOH! I didn't get far, I had this feeling I was forgetting something. After what I did to them, I should have left them there.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

emmaurice2

Enjoy your new gloves, I started walking to the lodge Saturday with my skis still on top of the car, DOH! I didn't get far, I had this feeling I was forgetting something. After what I did to them, I should have left them there.

Have you found out if they're fixable yet?

Thanks, they're actually the nicest pair of gloves I own, now.

Cornhead

Yep, sheepishly brought them in today. They all got a good laugh over it. They're not going to replace the edge, just secure it back in place. That edge will never be an inside edge again. Oh yeah, only $20, I just bought boots from them, and they know I'm in the market for skis. I was thinking of going narrower for a daily driver, the Mantras are 98mm under foot. Someone suggested Blizzard Brahmas, similar ski, metal in the ski, which I like, 88mm under foot. My shop doesn't have any for demo, but I can demo them at Sugarloaf during the AZ Summit. The Mantras will live on as my powder/rock skis, they've served me well.
uploadfromtaptalk1390353311632.jpg
The nasty gouge across from the broken edge was done on my last run of the day, at that point, I didn't give a shit, I figured they were toast, oops, again.

MadMadWorld

Yep, sheepishly brought them in today. They all got a good laugh over it. They're not going to replace the edge, just secure it back in place. That edge will never be an inside edge again. Oh yeah, only $20, I just bought boots from them, and they know I'm in the market for skis. I was thinking of going narrower for a daily driver, the Mantras are 98mm under foot. Someone suggested Blizzard Brahmas, similar ski, metal in the ski, which I like, 88mm under foot. My shop doesn't have any for demo, but I can demo them at Sugarloaf during the AZ Summit. The Mantras will live on as my powder/rock skis, they've served me well.
View attachment 10498
The nasty gouge across from the broken edge was done on my last run of the day, at that point, I didn't give a shit, I figured they were toast, oops, again.

Wow was that a stump or log? Usually that's what causes damage like that.

Aren't the Blizzard Bonafide closer in size to the Mantras?

Cornhead

^Wow. Those are some SERIOUS battle scars!

Yep, I guess it belongs in this thread!:D I just got them back from the shop, I got a day and about 3 runs on them before I blew the edge out. Like I said, the other core shot was almost intentional, I thought the skis were irreparable, double dope slap.