• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dope-slap things I have done when skiing

deadheadskier

Staff member
For the second year in a row, I forgot to throw poles in my car for my first day out on the hill for the season.

This time, I was forced to buy a pair because the rental shop wasn't open. Last year Killington just let me use a pair for free.

Worked in my favor though. Only $25 and I like them better than the other two sets I own.

Dickc

Driving three hours to Killington and finding out I left my jacket at home. DOH. Found out Killington actually rents jackets!

dlague

For the second year in a row, I forgot to throw poles in my car for my first day out on the hill for the season.

This time, I was forced to buy a pair because the rental shop wasn't open. Last year Killington just let me use a pair for free.

Worked in my favor though. Only $25 and I like them better than the other two sets I own.

I would have skied without them!

bobbutts

As a kid, went off trail to pee and sank really deeply into the snow. Didn't notice that I had some snow get inside the top part of my boot. At the end of the day I got the boots off and my shins slowly thawed, had bad and very painful frostbite on both.

More recently very near the end of the season I left my board on the rack and KBL at the end of the day, forgot about it and drove home. Contacted guest services after I got home and realized it was missing and they checked, but there wasn't anything on the rack. I really liked the board, so bought another of the same thing. Then about a few weeks later after they were closed for the season got a call from guest services saying that the board was found. Ended up doing a non-skiing round trip just to pick it up.

tree_skier

When I was in college was ripping the bumps on Millers Mile at Ascutney on my primo Rossi SM GS boards hit a rock and did a major face plant. Eventually got up found about 6 inches of edge missing and the corisponding P-tex. It was later in the afternoon so I decided that it was enough and while still seeing double loaded the boards into the bag and onto the back of my VW Bug. Got home and found no skis. Forgot to close the rack. Called no one turned them in. Somebody probably thought they got a sweet pair of skis until they looked at the bottoms.

CoolMike

I'm sure most of the people here have had this happen to them.

I was known among one group of friends as an expert on the trails (as in I know the trail maps really well and can show off my favorite cruising runs) at a couple of different mountains. One day I was asked to show a larger group of intermediate skiers around and ended up getting everyone stuck on a very treacherously icy slope. I had lapped the trails in the morning but the trail was all scraped off and frozen solid by 2 pm. Just the view from the top of the trail freaked a few people out in the group.

There was 4-5 falls, at least one person crying, and a group full of tired angry people by the time we navigated down the slope. It took at least 45 minutes to get down to the base.

Anyhow, now I make sure to never push anyone's limit when skiing with a group. Also, its a good idea to stay up hill from your least aggressive skier so you can ski down to them and give encouragement if needed. Walking back up the hill to help a friend avoid giant patches of ice sucks.

Edit: I forgot the best part! A kindly ski instructor took a giant group picture at the top of the lift on this run and everyone is all smiles. It was a cool and crisp day with nice visibility and everyone was stoked. I also have a picture of the group at the bottom and its funny how exhausted everyone looks. We called it a day then and I bought a few rounds at a local bar.

ceo

About 15 years ago, I'm at Stowe for an annual gathering of the SKIVT-L mailing list, and one of the longstanding traditions of this shindig (and by "longstanding" I might mean "someone came up with the idea the previous year") was the Mass Poach Of A Closed Trail. So the lot of us ducked the rope across Chin Clip. This is where we learn that sometimes they close trails for a really good reason, in this case that being that the trail was icy frozen-solid moguls from top to bottom. We somehow managed to scrape and flail our way down this unskiable mess without anyone getting hurt, though afterwards someone remarked on the list that they'd seen me ski parts of it really well and that was inspiring, to which I replied "I can only conclude that you must have taken some of those icy frozen moguls upside the head."

skiNEwhere

I was skiing at Sunday River with one of my friends, who brought along one of his friends that I didn't know very well, but I had always thought of as being kind of cocky. Well he challenged us to a race from the top of the Quantum Leap triple to the bottom of Quantum Leap. We were on the triple, and he was positioning himself to get off of the lift as fast as possible.
We were a couple of feet from the top terminal when we tried the launch himself from the chair to the unloading area so that he could get a head start.

Only problem was that when he tried to push off of the lift, it swung back slightly, causing him to hit the lip of the unloading area, slide back, and fall into the safety net!! They stopped the lift right after we got off while he flailed around like a swordfish caught in a net. We were practically holding our sides from laughing so hard. He finally kicked off his skis and was able to crawl out, but not before we skied to the bottom to be declared the winner :)

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I get the award for last week. Didn't realize I'd left my ski bag at home until I was 50 miles down the road. Went back and got it. Lost precious time on the slopes. But hell, I wasn't going to miss a day of skiing.

How did I forget it? I left the bag in the dark living room. At 5 AM, out of sight, out of mind.

Wouldn't leave them in the car overnight. I want my boots warm and toasty.

C-Rex

I broke out the GoPro at Berkshire East on Monday to try and get some good shots since I never take pictures. I was filming my FWB when she rode off the side of a feature that just dropped straight down like 2-3 feet. She fell and I was laughing so hard at her that I did the same thing. At least I got it all on video.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I broke out the GoPro at Berkshire East on Monday to try and get some good shots since I never take pictures. I was filming my FWB when she rode off the side of a feature that just dropped straight down like 2-3 feet. She fell and I was laughing so hard at her that I did the same thing. At least I got it all on video.

YES! I love pictures of the sky , clouds, trees, closeup snow and bloody noses. When can we see it! :p:p

Domeskier

Sounds like a surefire what to lose those benefits...

Abubob

Website
tee.pub

YES! I love pictures of the sky , clouds, trees, closeup snow and bloody noses. When can we see it! :p:p

Yes! We wanna see!!