• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dope-slap things I have done when skiing

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Enough for dissing others. Time to dis ourselves!

True story. Put my boots on the wrong feet. Hurt like hell. Didn't realize it until I went to buckle them. Yes, it was a powder day.

You?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Hitting a tree.

In college - driving up to Mount Snow in a snowstorm only to find everything was on wind hold and I drove back home. 6 hrs driving, no skiing.

In college - thinking I could teach my girlfriend (now wife) how to ski :lol: big mistake.

hammer

Driving all the way to Pats Peak and realizing our son left his jacket at home...and then driving home, getting the jacket, and going back (almost 2 additional hours).
Leaving demo skis on the rack at PCMR and getting them stolen.
Sure I can think of others...

Huck_It_Baby

1. I've skied into countless creeks that have proved themselves not to be frozen yet.

2. Drinking Whiskey the night before a big storm only to ruin the following powder day.

Live and learn.

Edd

Standing in the lift line at Heavenly on a 1 foot pow day. Waiting for the lifts to start. Realized I don't have my goggles and had to give up a sweet spot in line to trudge back to the rental car to grab them. Just the anticipation of skiing pow turns me into a moron.

MadMadWorld

In high school, my brother and I went to Sugarbush after a big early season storm. He kept ejecting out of his bindings for no reason. Because I knew everything about skiing at the time, I deduced it might be the boot. So instead of me trying my boots in his skis. We decided we would switch boots mid trail. Little did we realize it would be impossible to do this with both of our boots frozen. We both ended up having to ski on 1 ski to the bottom while each of us carrying a ski boot and ski. I learned quickly that skiing on 1 ski sucks when your in powder and wearing cotton socks. Needless to say, we didn't talk the rest of the day.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

steamboat1

Not me but my father once separated his skis to reduce the risk of theft. Went out later & couldn't find one of his skis. After waiting past the time the area closed he found another ski that was the same model as his but wasn't his ski. Evidently another person had separated their skis also & took the wrong one by accident. Wouldn't have mattered much but the skis weren't the same length.

Savemeasammy

In college, at Alpine Meadows off the Scott chair. Scoping out a cliff below me. While standing there, my feet get tangled up in some saplings. I fall forward, onto the ground, and proceed over cliff. Head first. Suffered serious injury to my pride in front of my buddies. All else was fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Not me but my father once separated his skis to reduce the risk of theft. Went out later & couldn't find one of his skis. After waiting past the time the area closed he found another ski that was the same model as his but wasn't his ski. Evidently another person had separated their skis also & took the wrong one by accident. Wouldn't have mattered much but the skis weren't the same length.

This is funny.

Cheese

Poaching powder, on an employee pass, under the chair.

Plan: Don't fall

Result: Nailed a buried main snow making supply line and double ejected into a superman face plant. Rushed to snap back in and didn't get the heal fully latched. Gained speed and pre-released for a second double eject superman face plant.

Lesson: Ski patrol closes trails for a reason

4aprice

I had this happen to me at Vernon Valley. I don't think it was a Dope-slap thing because we found out that the thieves came in with a van and just grabbed skis willy-nilly. Needless to say that was about 20 years ago and I haven't skied in NJ since.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Smellytele

Went to go night skiing at the original crotched with my girlfriend in High school. Drank too much vodka on the way up and was too drunk to get my boots on. Spent the evening in the car while my girlfriend skied with our friends. She stopped by the car a few times but I was useless.

AdironRider

Instead of taking the 20 minutes to run home and get my forgotten pair of gloves, I decided I could man up and go without on that spring day. Yeah, knuckledraggers and no gloves equals incredible bloddy, and numb hands, and blood stained ski gear.

bigbog

..But you filmed that collision with tree very well Nick...

About the same type of no-ski morning....early Feb 2002...timely scheduling for a morning up @Loon with a few ex-workmates from the 90s. Of course the Arctic is now bringing us a frigid early February. Once on rte #3 (MA/NH), ~5am, ~ -30F...hood latch to my Jeep Cherokee disengages, flies up masking windshield view. So for a few seconds I'm sticking my head out the window to see the road, slowing down asap. Hood locks back down fine...but get up to Loon parking lot and advertised temp is -63F (@summit). We're looking at this..and at each other = Ugh Ugh, don't ski well enough to enjoy this...so over to the ??_Inn(parked off the main st..in the back, in community to the west of Lincoln) for expected quiet/warm breakfast. We get in the door and must've been well over 100 people in the place...eating and drinking! Don't ask me how they got around opening up the bar, but it was enjoyed that morning, but about the loudest breakfast crowd/mob I've ever witnessed...but the morning ended up a lot better than it started out as....
Not anything sensational....

Last edited:

jimk

In college, at Alpine Meadows off the Scott chair. Scoping out a cliff below me. While standing there, my feet get tangled up in some saplings. I fall forward, onto the ground, and proceed over cliff. Head first. Suffered serious injury to my pride in front of my buddies. All else was fine.

That Scott Chair terrain is steep and cliffy, from Jan 2013 visit: scott chair AM.jpg

Dope-slap: When I was a kid I was fooling around on the night before my dad was going to take us on a family ski trip and put my foot through the window of the trailer/RV we were going to sleep in the next two nights. We tried to fix the window with cardboard and duct tape. It was super cold and windy on that trip and the broken window made that trailer even colder than it had to be. I messed up, but my Dad (RIP) was pretty tolerant and I didn't get dope-slapped:dontknow:
482614ae3d9e6.jpg

Savemeasammy

That Scott Chair terrain is steep and cliffy, from Jan 2013 visit: View attachment 9623

Luckily I wasn't in view of the chair! Earlier that season, however, I did lose my ski under the roundhouse (I think it was a triple at the time) chair, for the enjoyment of the riders. It must have taken me a half hour to find. Dumb kid from New England jumps a cliff and doesn't know how to land in deep powder.... Doh!

ScottySkis

In SLC temps were in 0 degrees powder day coat zipper broke on chair lift I wasn't spending 300 on a coat at Mountain shop so I bought shoe lace and put my coat on backwards and ties the laces and luckily had very warm sweater under my coat it worked and I had a great day.

mriceyman

In SLC temps were in 0 degrees powder day coat zipper broke on chair lift I wasn't spending 300 on a coat at Mountain shop so I bought shoe lace and put my coat on backwards and ties the laces and luckily had very warm sweater under my coat it worked and I had a great day.

lmao that's great