Dope-slap things I have done when skiing - Page 13

AlpineZone

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

When I was 10 or 11, I was at Windham and rode the lift with 2 hot chicks in their 20's. For some reason I thought it would be cool to let them get off first. I ended up having to jump off the lift from 10 feet. (The lift all the way to the right with the bullwheel up the hill a bit) It gave me a nose bleed and everyone was panicking from the bloody snow. Once the bleeding stopped, I was outa there. The next run was funny because everyone was talking about the kid that fell off the lift.

Well this is a pseudo skiing story. On Saturday we dropped my Mother off at my sisters place. While we were there my son asked to sleep over to spend time with his cousins. Now we had talked about skiing on Sunday at Bretton Woods for their free day. Before we left, we were told that two of the cousins were going to paintball on Sunday. My wife asked our son if he wanted to go and of course he was all over it. I asked my wife "what about skiing?" and she came back with - we can be there by noon and our son will go to the cousins after paintball. So I am still stoked. Then we find out that Wildcat will be open. Even more stoke! The next morning we get a call and find out there is no after paintball plan option so we were going to have to pick him up by 4. Now skiing was out and I was depressed, literally sadden by that fact.

Here is the kicker. Later Sunday night I was showing my son some opening day video from Wildcat and my son asks "Why didn't we go?". I then told him that his Mom said that you wanted to go paintball. He then said "She asked about paintball, but never asked about skiing! I would have gone skiing!". Dohhhhh!

Moral of the story - lay all the options out there!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

For the second year in a row, I forgot to throw poles in my car for my first day out on the hill for the season.

This time, I was forced to buy a pair because the rental shop wasn't open. Last year Killington just let me use a pair for free.

Worked in my favor though. Only $25 and I like them better than the other two sets I own.

Driving three hours to Killington and finding out I left my jacket at home. DOH. Found out Killington actually rents jackets!

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    For the second year in a row, I forgot to throw poles in my car for my first day out on the hill for the season.

This time, I was forced to buy a pair because the rental shop wasn't open. Last year Killington just let me use a pair for free.

Worked in my favor though. Only $25 and I like them better than the other two sets I own.
    I would have skied without them!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Not happening. I hate skiing without poles. Plus $25 for a set of decent poles is a steal

As a kid, went off trail to pee and sank really deeply into the snow. Didn't notice that I had some snow get inside the top part of my boot. At the end of the day I got the boots off and my shins slowly thawed, had bad and very painful frostbite on both.

More recently very near the end of the season I left my board on the rack and KBL at the end of the day, forgot about it and drove home. Contacted guest services after I got home and realized it was missing and they checked, but there wasn't anything on the rack. I really liked the board, so bought another of the same thing. Then about a few weeks later after they were closed for the season got a call from guest services saying that the board was found. Ended up doing a non-skiing round trip just to pick it up.
    "man you make it look so fluid"

That time I tried to follow my GF down the K-12

"man you make it look so fluid"

When I was in college was ripping the bumps on Millers Mile at Ascutney on my primo Rossi SM GS boards hit a rock and did a major face plant. Eventually got up found about 6 inches of edge missing and the corisponding P-tex. It was later in the afternoon so I decided that it was enough and while still seeing double loaded the boards into the bag and onto the back of my VW Bug. Got home and found no skis. Forgot to close the rack. Called no one turned them in. Somebody probably thought they got a sweet pair of skis until they looked at the bottoms.

I'm sure most of the people here have had this happen to them.

I was known among one group of friends as an expert on the trails (as in I know the trail maps really well and can show off my favorite cruising runs) at a couple of different mountains. One day I was asked to show a larger group of intermediate skiers around and ended up getting everyone stuck on a very treacherously icy slope. I had lapped the trails in the morning but the trail was all scraped off and frozen solid by 2 pm. Just the view from the top of the trail freaked a few people out in the group.

There was 4-5 falls, at least one person crying, and a group full of tired angry people by the time we navigated down the slope. It took at least 45 minutes to get down to the base.

Anyhow, now I make sure to never push anyone's limit when skiing with a group. Also, its a good idea to stay up hill from your least aggressive skier so you can ski down to them and give encouragement if needed. Walking back up the hill to help a friend avoid giant patches of ice sucks.

Edit: I forgot the best part! A kindly ski instructor took a giant group picture at the top of the lift on this run and everyone is all smiles. It was a cool and crisp day with nice visibility and everyone was stoked. I also have a picture of the group at the bottom and its funny how exhausted everyone looks. We called it a day then and I bought a few rounds at a local bar.

Thread Information