• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowboarding in serious decline?

C-Rex

Can't we all just get along?
I really don't understand why there seems to be segregation in ski/snowboard videos. This does not seem to me to be an accurate representation of what I see on the hills. OK I guess no one wants to watch a video of a bunch of shmos running amok around there local ski hill. But for the most part I think everyone does ride the lift and play together nicely. Does that change when you start jet setting around the world and take the heli to your favorite peak? Idk, stupid media...

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

I hear you, but I gotta say, no matter how out going and friendly I try to be when on the lift or hanging with skiers, I often get this vibe that I have to say something to gain their respect before they'll talk to me. Most of the time they will not initiate a conversation. I almost always have to be the first to say hello and ask how their day is going. It does suck that so many boarders give us all a bad name, especially when in reality a D-bag is a D-bag, and a lot of them ski as well. Skiers need to realize that a lot of our attitude toward skiers comes from their attitude toward us. It's not like we were welcomed with open arms when the sport was new. In the end, respect gets respect. Ski or ride well, and with common courtesy, be friendly, and people will be surprised at how far it goes to make the whole experience better.

Smellytele

I hear you, but I gotta say, no matter how out going and friendly I try to be when on the lift or hanging with skiers, I often get this vibe that I have to say something to gain their respect before they'll talk to me. Most of the time they will not initiate a conversation. I almost always have to be the first to say hello and ask how their day is going. It does suck that so many boarders give us all a bad name, especially when in reality a D-bag is a D-bag, and a lot of them ski as well. Skiers need to realize that a lot of our attitude toward skiers comes from their attitude toward us. It's not like we were welcomed with open arms when the sport was new. In the end, respect gets respect. Ski or ride well, and with common courtesy, be friendly, and people will be surprised at how far it goes to make the whole experience better.

Maybe its that jacket? :lol:

thetrailboss

Staff member

Agree with the "D-bags are D-bags" comment. They exist in all walks of life.

dmc

My point is - snowboarding is still popular and thriving.. Maybe not the way it used to but everythings changing and fluid these days..
I bought my first new board in a few years this year... Frankly I wanted all the rocker bs to settle down.. :) Ended up with a Never Summer with rocker underfoot... Pretty sick.

I love movies with a mix of riders skiers and telemarkers. but they are few and far between..
I like it all... wtf... why not...?

This thread winded through areas rarely touched in a ski forum! lol

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

twinplanx

I love movies with a mix of riders skiers and telemarkers. but they are few and far between..
I like it all... wtf... why not...?

I wish this type of movie was more the norm, instead of the exception...

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

BenedictGomez

Some parents of kids on my son's soccer team when we were told of a tournament they were playing in actually said "we do not want to play in that tournament we'll get beat".

Same parents that go for the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality. I believe I am of the age that I was one of the first kids to experience this phenomena. I played on a team that was probably something like 5th place in an 8 team league, and I can vividly remember being confused. Nowadays, kids probably EXPECT a trophy for a 5th (or last) place finish.

Smellytele

Same parents that go for the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality. I believe I am of the age that I was one of the first kids to experience this phenomena. I played on a team that was probably something like 5th place in an 8 team league, and I can vividly remember being confused. Nowadays, kids probably EXPECT a trophy for a 5th (or last) place finish.

I run the baseball program in my town and we only give out trophies for 1st and 2nd place that is it. I think it is actually turning back in the other direction now where people were getting frustrated with the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality.