Snowboarding in serious decline?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Snowboarding in serious decline?

Saw this in the Globe a few days ago and I was intrigued.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...2uL/story.html

One interesting quote: “Our ski sales have just hammered our snowboards,” said Mike Murphy, Sanchez’s boss at Sportworks in Duxbury, which he manages. “For every 25 pair of skis we sell, there’s maybe one snowboard. It used to be 50-50.”

I really don't know what to think of this because from what I see on the slopes leads me to think that Snowboarding is still on the rise.

Days on the Snow:

Pre 2011:~20 per year
    2011-2012: 19
    2012-2013: 34
    2013-2014: 25
    2014-2015: 23
    2015-2015: 17

I don't know much about the technology in snowboards. But all my friends that ride with me have had their boards for 7 or more years it seems. Meanwhile my skiing buddies and I are getting new skis every 2-4 years. I've been told that snowboards don't change as much as skis do, so maybe that has to do with the sales.

I still see plenty of people riding. I'd say its almost 50/50 depending on where you go.

I saw some onslope rental shop stats for one area. This year they stock 33% boards, 66% skis.

It's not fair to judge the ski population on how much they purchase. Perhaps boarders, as a group are more frugal, or maybe they don't trash their boards like skiers do, lessening the need for new purchases.

Regarding the overall participation, the other industry wide stat is that the number of boarders have stagnated, while skier numbers are up.
    Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

Though I agree with the suggestion that snowboarding is on a decline (at the moment), I think the methodology here is a bit skewed because their data (sales of boards) has more to do with the demographics of the buyers than the amount of participants. Sure, lower snowboard sales might be indicative of a decrease, but snowboarders tend to be younger folks with less disposable income to buy new gear every year.

A fairer assessment might be to ask areas the breakdown of skiers vs. boarders.

And, FWIW, I did post an article a while back that did suggest that the number of snowboarders was declining with twin tips and rockers being a possible reason why.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Could you dig out that article Trailboss?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app
    Days on the Snow:

Not the one I was thinking of, but here is one: http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthr...t=snowboarding

I think this is it: http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthr...ight=snowboard

They also based their conclusions, in part, on equipment sales.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Here are the numbers for 2012/13

Snowboarding. Snowboarding trended down for the third consecutive season, declining to under 30 percent of total visits. This figure is down gradually from 32.0 percent four seasons ago (2009/10). ...snowboarding appears to be leveling off, if not declining slightly, as it matures as a sport. Snowboarding is not the growth engine it once was, which has implications related to business volumes and spending for the industry.

Snowboarding has declined the most in the Pacific South region, though it remains the region with the highest share of visits attributable to snowboarders (42 percent). The mix of people on the hill who are on a snowboard is lowest in the Rocky Mountain and Northeast regions (24 and 26 percent, respectively). You just don’t see as many snowboarders in Vermont or Colorado as you do in California or Michigan.

Source:
    Kottke End of Season Study
    National Ski Areas Association (NSAA)

reportage:
    http://www.liftopia.com/blog/201213-ski-season-wrapup/

http://www.liftopia.com/blog/snowboarding-stall/

Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

Bingo:

“I snowboarded for four seasons,” said Sanchez. “The skis then were pretty traditional, and the technology was not advancing. But the past couple of years, the new designs have made skiing much easier, especially in powder and the woods. So I went back into skiing.”

The new technology?
    It’s called rocker, or reverse camber (tech details later), and it allows skiers to take advantage of another of the sport’s trends: skiers and boarders skiing the groomed trails in sometimes densely wooded glades where making quick turns in loose snow is the required art form du jour.

To Sanchez and other young skiers, the new rocker generation of skis simply work better.

“It’s not only the turning,” he said, “but that’s important. The other thing is that a snowboard on New England’s icy conditions can be dangerous. With skis, it’s easier to grab the snow with your edges.”

I didn't think about the ice issue.

The Globe article cites the earlier one that we were all discussing.

And I'm not quite sure WTH this means:

“Parents in this town see that the twin tips still have the graphics and the baggy clothes, but they figure that at least their kids are not going over to boarding,” said Murphy.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by billski View Post
    Here are the numbers for 2012/13

Snowboarding. Snowboarding trended down for the third consecutive season, declining to under 30 percent of total visits. This figure is down gradually from 32.0 percent four seasons ago (2009/10). ...snowboarding appears to be leveling off, if not declining slightly, as it matures as a sport. Snowboarding is not the growth engine it once was, which has implications related to business volumes and spending for the industry.

Snowboarding has declined the most in the Pacific South region, though it remains the region with the highest share of visits attributable to snowboarders (42 percent). The mix of people on the hill who are on a snowboard is lowest in the Rocky Mountain and Northeast regions (24 and 26 percent, respectively). You just don’t see as many snowboarders in Vermont or Colorado as you do in California or Michigan.

Source:
    Kottke End of Season Study
    National Ski Areas Association (NSAA)

reportage:
    http://www.liftopia.com/blog/201213-ski-season-wrapup/

http://www.liftopia.com/blog/snowboarding-stall/

This really hit the nail on the head Bill.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app
    Days on the Snow:

yeah, we're all quitting and taking up super awesome skiing! seems like at least one of these type of articles comes out every year, snowboardings not going away anytime soon. sorry guys.

Thread Information