• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

December General Observations and Banter- Hoping for white!

How's the weather been treating ya?

It's been pretty mild as of late. We got torched with the lows last night, didn't even get above freezing. Not great for snowmaking.

Been hearing rumors of an SWFE event on the 9th that could bring snow, but its too far out to know for sure.

Current Temp at Canton Ma: 31

BenedictGomez

Needs to come east and north a fair bit, but there's time. The Canuck and Euro keep getting colder though, and the NAO is predicted to take a big drop about a week from now. Things are starting to look pretty good.

ScottySkis

On December 7 and 8 I hearing possibly ice storm coming for Pennsylvania and mid Hudson Valley NY hopefully it change to snow what do weather people think?

If it is ice is it possible south Vermont will not get the ice storm I thinking of skiing Mount snow Sunday but rather not drive through ice.

4aprice

On December 7 and 8 I hearing possibly ice storm coming for Pennsylvania and mid Hudson Valley NY hopefully it change to snow what do weather people think?

If it is ice is it possible south Vermont will not get the ice storm I thinking of skiing Mount snow Sunday but rather not drive through ice.

I've been trying to figure out the same thing Scotty. I'm thinking Bromley Sunday. From what I've seen the weather should be south of Vermont on Sunday. Yesterday I saw one prediction of ice down in Maryland and Virginia. Showers predicted for NYC. Think we should be ok.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

watkin

There's something brewing for the 6th and 7th as well. Would like to get out on Sat, anyone know if this will be snow or rain in S. VT on the 7th?

ScottySkis

I've been trying to figure out the same thing Scotty. I'm thinking Bromley Sunday. From what I've seen the weather should be south of Vermont on Sunday. Yesterday I saw one prediction of ice down in Maryland and Virginia. Showers predicted for NYC. Think we should be ok.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Have fun their I like to check it out one day

Now wondering about north Vermont maybe Jay could pull off some snow for the weekend?

steamboat1

I ain't looking pretty for Thurs.-Fri. Wind & rain.

Driving up early tomorrow for the weekend. Was hoping to ski Stowe Fri. but that's looking less likely with the weather forecast.

Pleasent day today, I think it was about 48 today.

Early predictions for the SWFE on Sunday into Monday are coming in and things are sounding pretty good. All info I have is taken from the discussions on the Americanwx board. Euro and GFS models are in surprising agreement.

2-4 +Ice +Rain: Boston, Points South (Excluding Cape) Slug of snow to start, switching to ice late morning. It will switch over to rain in the afternoon before ending in the evening.

3-5 + Ice: Middlesex and Worcester Counties all the way up to the S. NH border, Northern Conn, Western MA. A little Rain could mix in if warm air sneaks farther north than expected.

5-7: Southern Vermont, Southern and Central NH, Maine foothills. Should be a decent batch of snow, ice could mix in near Manchester points south, but a solid snow event here. Gunstock region could jackpot with 8-9 inches if everything works out right.

3-6: Whites, Greens

1-4: Near Canadian Border (Jay)

2-4: Southern Adirondacks
1-2: northern daks
3-6 Catskills, northern Penn

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

ScottySkis

2-4: Southern Adirondacks
1-2: northern daks
3-6 Catskills, northern Penn

Maybe I wait to ski in the Catskills to weekend of the 14. And do Mountainsniw this Sunday the 8. I need to ski work is crazy busy.

Maybe I wait to ski in the Catskills to weekend of the 14. And do Mountainsniw this Sunday the 8. I need to ski work is crazy busy.

Unfortunately this is a Sunday Night into Monday type thing, if you ski Sunday you would miss the storm :( Sorry.

Well good luck with that. I'm still in college so no skiing for me until winter break, unless if I can get a ride on a wknd.

steamboat1

Unfortunately this is a Sunday Night into Monday type thing, if you ski Sunday you would miss the storm :( Sorry.

I'm not feeling it. If the forecast changes I could stay over Mon. since I'll already be there & have no obligations Mon. Right now it sounds about the same as tomorrows forecast which isn't good. Hope the weatherman's wrong on both counts, wouldn't be the first time they're wrong.

Last edited:
Monday looks great for Stowe! R/S line barely makes it to S NH. Friday is going to suck, but it could end as 1-3 inches of snow. Where did you find this forecast? NECN and other news outlets support a snowy system as well as places like americanwx.com. The team of mets and people there have been meticulously observing the model trends and nothing is pointing to a torch on Monday.

Heck, south of BOS is going to get some snow out of this, even NYC will start as snow!

bigbog

Yeah, that cold air can't get UP here quick enough. Freezing rain for many areas of Maine for the rest of week.
Well...for the good news, all four snowtires go on Friday;-) ....still exercising & walking in city forest.
The Cape has often gotten minorly hit by something in early Decembers....

ScottySkis

I need help deciding should I ski the Catskills this weekend maybe one day at Hunter and one at Bell or just ski Mountainsnow on Sunday? I can't afford to both Vermont and Catskills.