• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

December General Observations and Banter- Hoping for white!

Moderate snow south of Bos right now.

Nothing was sticking up to an hour ago, a solid coating so far and an inch seems reasonable

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Well, in the wake of that storm, Tuesday is our next snow potential. A clipper could reach the ocean and redevelop. Early indications are 3-6 in E. MA and 1-3 in ski country. 6+ possible in Downeast ME (possibly including SR) We'll see how it trends.

OK now the GFS and the RGEM turn this thing into a nuke. 6-12 in E. MA and 4-8 back into ski country. Pants are off.

Here's the RGEM look just as it starts bombing out. All the precip will move to the northeast according to most recent models.
gemregPR12.17.jpg

Last edited:

4aprice

Bump. Interesting read as we come out of a good window for both natural and snowmaking. 2 weeks, 4 snows, approx. 1' otg here in NNJ. Now we get a break (hate to call it that as I love it) as old man winter goes and gives love to the west this week. Lots of speculation as to how warm/wet it gets and its pretty short lived (I'll be interested to see if we lose all of our snow pack here). After that I'm reading that cold will return Christmas week and rumors of a storm NYE/NY have started surfacing. Hopefully this thaw will be somewhat muted, (remember these are the shortest days of the year, so we've got that going for us) we retain at least some of our snow pack and rumor becomes fact. I won't mind taking a step back to take 2 forward. Hoping to avoid most of the holiday period on the slopes anyways.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ