• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowboarder hits kid, kids father punches snowboarder (video)

dmc

I refuse to even watch this bs... Surprised you even posted this...

This place is weighted way too heavy with skiers to even get involved.....
F that...

Huck_It_Baby

He does. That is why he posted this and is tying to preemptively build his defense for when he has the collision with someone in front of him.

Two wrongs don't make a right. In fact it usually makes something twice as bad. Dad is (justifiably) guilty of assault.

Boarder is guilty of "Speed too fast for conditions." Way too often folks pass other folks at speed far in excess of the 110% rule. You should only be travelling 10% faster than the person you are overtaking. In an area with multiple threats (targets) not more than 10% faster than the slowest one.
Rule #1 is #1 for a reason, it is the most important. It very clearly puts the responsibility on folks to slide in a manner that they do not crash into anything.
Rules #3 & #4 are more for self preservation than assigning blame.

What I preach and teach to my ski school students, "There is a WORLD of difference between 'not meaning' to do something and MEANING NOT to do something."

Stache you have a page on your site perfect for this discussion!

http://thestache.tripod.com/id14.html

thetrailboss

Staff member
Stache you have a page on your site perfect for this discussion!

http://thestache.tripod.com/id14.html

Seems simple and to the point. Makes sense to me.

And I think the real danger is not just beginner trails, but trails that have others funnel into them and in which there are folks of varying degrees of skill on them. That's where you have to be careful. A lot of trails have beginner slopes/learning areas at the bottoms of them such that advanced skiers coming down the mountain have to go through that area. Think Jay's Interstate/Metro Quad area. It is just the runout from the terrain above.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I refuse to even watch this bs... Surprised you even posted this...

This place is weighted way too heavy with skiers to even get involved.....
F that...

chill

not a skier vs snowboarder debate

unless you choose to elect it one

mriceyman

I'm a new dad. I would be instantly thinking did my kid break a leg? Worse? I would definitely freak out. Again, I HOPE I wouldn't hit the kid.
I'm hoping that you/I would at least see if my kid is ok first before catching a ski and bashing the kid with it. :dontknow:

Highway Star

Watch out for someone doing mandatory GS turns.

I understand them quite fine, thank you. And I don't cause any problems on the slopes personally.

Well, since I haven't hit anyone nor been run into in 800+ ski days, I'd have to say I'm doing pretty well, thank you very much. I also ski very fast pretty often, on weekends, at a mountain that can get pretty busy at times. I see lots and lots of people not observing the code, and I will stop and point it out to them as needed. Or just yell "Don't stop in the middle of the &*%$@# trail!!!" as I ski by.

GNU 4 LIFE

Snowboarders fault no control as for the dad the boarder was wearing a helmet and he made his point.

Sent from my DROID3 using AlpineZone mobile app

skiberg

Pretty obvious snowboarder was wrong. He almost took out the young girl skier as well just prior to hitting the kid. I think what caused the accident is that the kid was obscured by the father and you cant really see him until last second. But they were downhill, its the uphill skiers job to use caution especially on a crowded slope

MadMadWorld

Well, since I haven't hit anyone nor been run into in 800+ ski days, I'd have to say I'm doing pretty well, thank you very much. I also ski very fast pretty often, on weekends, at a mountain that can get pretty busy at times. I see lots and lots of people not observing the code, and I will stop and point it out to them as needed. Or just yell "Don't stop in the middle of the &*%$@# trail!!!" as I ski by.

You are the hall monitor of skiing.

Edd

That's interesting! So you're kind of like this woman:

Couldn't finish watching that for various reasons, not the least of which is that it's shot in portrait mode, which is a more heinous crime than driving slow in the left lane.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Couldn't finish watching that for various reasons, not the least of which is that it's shot in portrait mode, which is a more heinous crime than driving slow in the left lane.

I just listened to it and it is so damn funny.

thetrailboss

Staff member
You learn something new every day......George Zimmerman = the head of the moral police.

I was going to say that it sounds like our buddy HS is a mandatory GS turnmaking George Zimmerman of Killington. Watch out...there might be a citizen's arrest if you don't look over your shoulder to be sure that he is not coming up behind you on the flats.....