• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowboarder hits kid, kids father punches snowboarder (video)

dmc

So, what do you do? YOU try and turn it into a skiers vs snowboarders thread. No one else was trying to do that in this thread, only YOU.

Then stop living in the past and get over it. It's been YEARS since there's been much if any of the 1990 era skiers vs snowboarders crap on here. 99% of the time they pop up, it's usually YOU bringing the fight. You're like a snowboarding Al Sharpton sometimes when it comes to this issue. You try and create an issue when none is present.

and this thread's existence disrespected you how again?

YOU, more than anyone need to get over the skier vs snowboarder thing. Sorry, it's been such a long, hard "fight" for you. Let it go......

Dude... why are you pushing me into a fight...??

I won't have any of it...

Look - i'm sorry for acting badly...

Ok.. done.

Merry Christmas...

deadheadskier

Staff member
Not trying to pick a fight dmc.

If you perceive it as such, I am sorry.

Was just illustrating a point that sometimes you create an issue out of nothing. It's okay, we're all guilty of it sometimes; especially me.

Merry Christmas to you as well

BenedictGomez

There are many in this nation who now sadly spend their days "searching" for ways to be offended.

I don't pander to these people, and I make a conscious effort to stamp out political correctness whereever I encounter it.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
There are many in this nation who now sadly spend their days "searching" for ways to be offended.

I don't pander to these people, and I make a conscious effort to stamp out political correctness whereever I encounter it.

I'm offended at your political incorrectness and your use of the word "pander" is an obvious stab at middle lower class blue collar antidisastablishmentarialismic views. I fart in your general direction!

octopus

Run DMC!

Jk. I Like this forum but it is more skier friendly to be sure, at least that's the vibe I get. Maybe it's just me.

Happy new year!!!!;)

Tin Woodsman

Two thoughts. If the boarder was a skier I can pretty much guarantee everyone would be more apt to rail the dad for not following the code ala Damian Sanders here. Just the nature of this board really. Second, for all the dads in this thread that find it reasonable, or at least could understand why he hit him. Are you fucking retarded? This is assault on a minor, inexcusable in every way.
Also of note is the boarder on the video can be heard asking if the kid is ok before they even stop sliding. Boarder pretty much did all he could, and there is absolutely no reason for him to stay there when within 3 seconds the dad has committed assault. That's the crux right there. Dad didn't even care about the kid, his only thought was regulate on the boarder. That's all the evidence I need to prove douche dad played the critical role. He never looks uphill, doesn't check on his kid, etc.

Dad may be a douche, but he wouldn't have had to reveal is douchiness if the idiot boarder isn't trying to play slalom with kids in a slow skiing zone. This is not an assessment about whether the Dad reacted inappropriately - that should be self-evident. The question is who is at fault for the initial incident - a little kid getting steamrolled. I'm not sure how anyone in their right mind can blame the little kid or his father. They were downhill. On a wide open slope in plain view of anyone coming from uphill. Boarder nearly hits one kid who was also in plain view and, due to his emergency maneuvers, ends up running over another kid nearby. Stop right there, and any ski patrol in the land will find the boarder 100% at fault. I don't even understand how there can be a question on this. I can certainly understand why the Dad would be utterly pissed. If you can't, then you've got to put down the pehote.

thetrailboss

Staff member
And to be clear since folks are just joining in without reading the first umpteen posts: it looks as if the son was moving the entire time before the collision, albeit slowly. Either way the POV video is really inconclusive. I would not assume that the kid, who was maybe 4 or 5, was in fact starting from a stopped position.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
And to be clear since folks are just joining in without reading the first umpteen posts: it looks as if the son was moving the entire time before the collision, albeit slowly. Either way the POV video is really inconclusive. I would not assume that the kid, who was maybe 4 or 5, was in fact starting from a stopped position.

That was my first impression , almost like the dad just pushed him off into the kid, but in re-watching it you are right, you definitely cannot tell.

Wow this thread had some legs.

tnt

Snow boarder avoided first collision, but not the second. Most important thing in my mind is, he appeared to be in control, and theoretically able to stop to avoid other skiers or obstacles. He just got blind sided here.

Just rotten luck there, I think. He was in control. Perhaps the only fault you could find in his reaction here is not stopping when almost hitting the girl. IOW, instead of trying to slip past her with a little push, why not just come to a stop? But really, impossible to tell if that would have been better or worse.

And yeah, MAYBE you could say he was trying to hard to thread a needle here, with a dad and young son toward the middle of the trail and a girl skiing from left to right….MIGHT be viewed an imprudent to try to go between them, but that seems pretty strained….

Regarding the reaction, the parent lost his temper and should apologize to that kid and he should talk to his son about why he is sorry for what he did. He should have made sure his son was psychically OK, then made sure the boarder was psychically OK, then, shared his thoughts on why the boarder was wrong to hit his kid.

But hitting that boarder…no, that's way wrong.

I have to say, I thank the parent for posting this, because as a parent, I know I have let my temper get ahold of me when my kids we endangered by what I perceived to be out of control skiers and boarders. This reminds me that what we see in the second where our kids are in danger good forbid hurt, isn't the whole story. I understand adrenaline and concern turning to anger, and this reminds me not to let the anger guide your actions, because it may be unjustified.

Tough situation. Sorry it happened. Hope the young skier isn't afraid of getting back out there. Hope the dad thinks about he actions. Hope the boarder thinks about what he could have done differently, and forgives the dad for whacking him.

accidents are tough.

tnt

Dad may be a douche, but he wouldn't have had to reveal is douchiness if the idiot boarder isn't trying to play slalom with kids in a slow skiing zone. This is not an assessment about whether the Dad reacted inappropriately - that should be self-evident. The question is who is at fault for the initial incident - a little kid getting steamrolled. I'm not sure how anyone in their right mind can blame the little kid or his father. They were downhill. On a wide open slope in plain view of anyone coming from uphill. Boarder nearly hits one kid who was also in plain view and, due to his emergency maneuvers, ends up running over another kid nearby. Stop right there, and any ski patrol in the land will find the boarder 100% at fault. I don't even understand how there can be a question on this. I can certainly understand why the Dad would be utterly pissed. If you can't, then you've got to put down the pehote.

I think that is exactly how the dad saw it, and might in fact be the case. A little hard to know the whole truth from the video.

Watching the collision twice, seems to me like a little rotten luck. The boarder didn't seem to be taking crazy risks or boarding out of control.

but hey, who knows.

fbrissette

Snow boarder avoided first collision, but not the second. Most important thing in my mind is, he appeared to be in control, and theoretically able to stop to avoid other skiers or obstacles.

I'm not following you here. Barely avoiding a first collision and plowing into the next kid epitomizes 'not being in control'.

LiquidFeet

I've been following this thread, lurking.
Two girls with white pants are skiing at boarder's left, same speed, for a good while.
Note the time on the video.
1.  two girls #1.png2. two girls #2.png3. two girls #3.png

Notice one of the two girls is still visible on left as boarder approaches guy in camy on right.
4. one of two girls; guy in camy #1.png

The site won't allow me to get rid of the pic below.

Attachments

• 5. guy in camy #2, look who is beyond him.png
    5. guy in camy #2, look who is beyond him.png
    222 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

LiquidFeet

As boarder and two girls continue along, boarder passes camy guy and dad appears.
View attachment 9713View attachment 97147. one girl's shadow ahead to left, dad & kid ahead.png
Notice on of the two girls are still skiing along at left of boarder, at about his speed as they have been all along. He's catching up with them, since they used to be more ahead. That's one girl's shadow on boarder's left.

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

Impending impact with girl. Boarder is approaching dad in black.
8. here she is.png10. impact.png11. she turns away; he wobbles.png
She turns away after impact. Boarder wobbles as he approaches dad in black,
and whoops, look who's there with dad. Girl's shadow on left as she moves away.

12.  kid impact impending .png13. whoops.png

Last edited:

MadMadWorld

As boarder and two girls continue along, beyond the camy guy appears the dad.
View attachment 9713View attachment 9714View attachment 9715
Notice on of the two girls is still skiing along at left of boarder, at his speed as she has been all along.

It doesn't matter what the camera sees. It's responsibility to scan the slope for anyone downhill of him. And fbrissette is right, there is no way you can be in control if you are not able to stop yourself from colliding into someone.

LiquidFeet

I agree. It's the boarder's fault all the way, no matter how stupid the dad was. The girl did nothing stupid.
The boarder needed to act more responsibly on a crowded slope like this.
He needed to be moving along with the safety of those ahead of him first up in his mind, not his personal pleasure.
Empty or nearly empty slopes are when we can indulge in ourselves, not crowded trails like this.

tnt

I'm not following you here. Barely avoiding a first collision and plowing into the next kid epitomizes 'not being in control'.

Ha. When you say it like that….

What I mean is, he swerved to avoid the first collision, which caused the second. So he was in control enough to avoid #1, but that caused #2.

I agree, at the end of the day, he is to 'blame' for the collision, but it's not like he was wildly out of control. But ultimately, the uphill skier is the only one who can really control the outcome, and so, has an added responsibility to ski slow enough or far away enough to avoid collision.

tnt

I think those pics show the small boy was not visible as the board intended to ski between dad in black and girl on left. Second to last frame - can't really see the little guy.

Also, those pics suggest the boarder was trying to thread a very tight needle there. Even if he got passed girl on left, he was going to be very close to dad in black - even if the boy wasn't there.

But regardless, I don't get the impression he was maniacally out of control. Again, the crash is his responsibility though.