• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SMUGGS- Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday

Huck_It_Baby

I've been hitting Smuggs each day this week for afternoon turns. No lift lines and each run I was pretty much completely alone on the trails.

Conditions have been a mix of everything from Powder to ice to exposed rock. Most runs off of Sterling are open with the exception of a few. I was actually surprised at how little coverage some of the runs had and were still open such as Upper Exhibition.

I missed the Thanksgiving Storm since I had to return to NY to visit family however there was plenty of powder out there if you are willing to bootpack out a little ways. I hiked up over to Madonna and found the goods =)

Huge whales running all the way down Black Snake (I think). Lots of fun to grind the ridges and jump off.

It's getting warm up there today with potential rain. The base should hold though. There is much more natural snow out there than you might think.

Smuggs6.jpg
Smuggs2.jpg
Smuggs4.jpg
Smuggs5.jpg
Smuggs3.jpg

MadMadWorld

I've been hitting Smuggs each day this week for afternoon turns. No lift lines and each run I was pretty much completely alone on the trails.

Conditions have been a mix of everything from Powder to ice to exposed rock. Most runs off of Sterling are open with the exception of a few. I was actually surprised at how little coverage some of the runs had and were still open such as Upper Exhibition.

I missed the Thanksgiving Storm since I had to return to NY to visit family however there was plenty of powder out there if you are willing to bootpack out a little ways. I hiked up over to Madonna and found the goods =)

Huge whales running all the way down Black Snake (I think). Lots of fun to grind the ridges and jump off.

It's getting warm up there today with potential rain. The base should hold though. There is much more natural snow out there than you might think.

View attachment 9684
View attachment 9685
View attachment 9686
View attachment 9687
View attachment 9688

Is that 3rd one a pic from Shuttle?

Huck_It_Baby

Your so lucky to live up there go get the powder and please post some great pictures.

Forgot to mention Scotty it's all free skiing right now because I have the Bash Badge+ and it's early season so there is no fee =)

Huck_It_Baby

Right that's what I meant. How was the snow in the Squirts?

Not enough snow for the steepest sections high up...not really "skiable" but traversable to find some pockets. Still a ton of undergrowth but not bad for first week of December!

20131202_123311.jpg

xwhaler

Forgot to mention Scotty it's all free skiing right now because I have the Bash Badge+ and it's early season so there is no fee =)

That Bash Badge really seems like a great value. I'd totally get that if I lived a lot closer

Sent from my VS980 4G using AlpineZone mobile app

Savemeasammy

Thanks for whetting my appetite some more for Smuggs. I am definitely looking forward to getting up there! I trust you will divulge the location of the last pic?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadMadWorld

Thanks for whetting my appetite some more for Smuggs. I am definitely looking forward to getting up there! I trust you will divulge the location of the last pic?!

That is Hershey Squirts. Pretty well known location and is visible from the Sterling lift. I'm sure he will give you more info though!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

Savemeasammy

That is Hershey Squirts. Pretty well known location and is visible from the Sterling lift. I'm sure he will give you more info though!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

Is this off Madonna? There looks like so much good stuff there, and much of it will be new to me!

Savemeasammy

No squirts are off Sterling. Give me a shout when you come up this way and I'll show you and take on some better stuff =)

Definitely. I will hold out for some decent snowpack before I get up there. I want to be able to take advantage of the good stuff!