• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SLC Questions

Quietman

Deer Valley - Ignore all the jokes about this being the resort for the 1% of the 1%. It is, but that means there's plenty of fresh snow left over right off the trail. It's more of a ski "area" than a ski "mountain," but there's plenty of good skiing. Food is great.

That's what I loved about it too, we were there days after the last storm and but skied 2' of untouched powder in the woods all day! There were lots of people there, but they all stayed on the groomed runs.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Re: Deer Valley. I can honestly say that I've now spent a fair amount of time there and the stereotypes are, in by large, not accurate. One would think that there are a lot of snobs and tools there because they (may) have a lot of money. Not true in my experience. The "tool" factor is higher at other areas where I've been. Nearly EVERYONE at Deer Valley I have talked with at Deer Valley from the staff to folks on the chairs have been nothing but nice and friendly. I actually meet folks there from all around the world and all are just happy to be there and ski. Sure they might have big money but they don't rub it in my face. If I had to guess it is because the management really instills a good culture of genuine friendliness there....so it rubs off onto everyone.

So yeah it's expensive but treat it as enjoying a fine piece of filet mignon as opposed to a hamburger.

I'm looking forward to skiing there this winter and I won't have any problem driving into the lot with my (used), relatively high mileage cars. They don't care; they're excited to have me there.

Creakyknees

Conditions, SNOW (Thetrailboss)

Thetrailboss, What is up with the weather at Snowbird? Looks like a bad start to the ski season. What is word on the street for long term (jet-stream)forecast for the Bird? I'm planning my annual ski trip and this year it must bethe first week in February and not the first week in March.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Thetrailboss, What is up with the weather at Snowbird? Looks like a bad start to the ski season. What is word on the street for long term (jet-stream)forecast for the Bird? I'm planning my annual ski trip and this year it must bethe first week in February and not the first week in March.

Yes, another dry start. We've gotten 100" of snow, now 50" base. Skiing is now getting good. Mineral Basin is barely open.

No major snow in the next 5-7 days. We've had spurts. I would not panic quite yet.

snoseek

I wouldn't worry so much about February.... Utah is almost always good by then. I predict by then the pattern will flip and both TB and me will both be slaying pow off the same storm systems. That's maybe hopeful thinking but mark my words, the wealth will be spread

Creakyknees

Thanks Guys. One thing I can't find is a long term forecast for the Jetstream. Long term is three to four weeks out.

snoseek

Thanks Guys. One thing I can't find is a long term forecast for the Jetstream. Long term is three to four weeks out.
Follow opensnows forecast, there is a Utah Section but Also B.A. for Tahoe is on it almost daily. The pendulum will swing...it always does. Anything past ten days is pure speculation so plenty of time for things to flip

gladerider

I don't know the OP's financials, but in my mind, it's best to stay at the base of Alta/Bird and actually get to ski the mountain if there's a big storm as opposed to waiting in traffic for the road to clear. Of course, once you're there, it's hard to get motivated to drive elsewhere.

I've been to Alta, Snowbird, The Canyons, Deer Valley and Solitude. They're all great in their own way; my preference is for the first two.

Alta - great low key vibe, plenty of good terrain and second to none snow quality. I advise taking one of the half day "lessons," which are really more like a guide service. Much of the good terrain is via traversing. It's not like it's hidden, but it's not obvious either and it's easy to miss the good stuff if you make the wrong turn.

Snowbird - Huge. Something for everyone but not necessarily good for low intermediates off the top. Doesn't sound like a problem for your group. Steep stuff everywhere, much more apparent than Alta. More of a hardcore vibe than Alta and more crowded which can get a little annoying together.

Deer Valley - Ignore all the jokes about this being the resort for the 1% of the 1%. It is, but that means there's plenty of fresh snow left over right off the trail. It's more of a ski "area" than a ski "mountain," but there's plenty of good skiing. Food is great.

Solitude - A sort of hidden gem. More of a local family place/vibe with surprisingly steep groomers (and off piste) in spots. The Honeycomb Canyons require a good amount of traversing but totally worth it if there's some fresh stuff.

The Canyons - Some really good and unique terrain, but it might take you days to figure out the place. If you're just going for a day, read as much as possible or somehow find someone to show you around. Otherwise, you'll spend half your time on run outs. They have a really long natural half pipe that's not to be missed.

i agree with goldsbar

my 2 cents.

i was out there last christmas and in 2010 january. in 2010, i got lodging at the base of snowbird and spent 4 days. that year we arrived in late january after 7 feet of snow in 7 days. we had a spectacular 3 days of riding. then, on the 4th day, it dumped. it was the best riding in my entire life to this day. waist deep pow. by noon, some people i spoke to on the lift were complaining that they couldn't get to the mountain and it was their first run.
last christmas i wanted to checkout other places so i went to snowbird, park city and powder mountain. i liked them all, but none compare to LCC snow. i am not a powder snob by any means and i can't believe i am saying this, but park city powder was not the same. and, after my experiment my conclusion is that i wouldn't hop around next time. i am going to pick a mountain and stick with it the whole trip.

Creakyknees

Jet Stream?????

What is going on at the Bird. I have a trip planned in two weeks and the jet stream is killing me.

Creakyknees

4 1/2 of Paradise

Thanks Thetrailboss. Out of 365 days a year I only get 4 1/2 days of paradise at the Bird. The Bird has never let me down in the past so I always have high expectations. Yes,,,it's all about the POW..

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Funny that this thread popped up today just as I was starting to book my trip.

Due to mostly financial reasons, but also the slow snow year in Utah, I'm going to be heading to Summit County the first week of March.

Puck it

Funny that this thread popped up today just as I was starting to book my trip.

Due to mostly financial reasons, but also the slow snow year in Utah, I'm going to be heading to Summit County the first week of March.

Staying in Frisco?

Puck it

Frisco, Silverthorne, Dillon.

A few places I've looked still have their Jan specials up, so I'll wait until they update to Feb.

The Holiday Inn in Frisco is good and has a good price. Right off I 70. Dillon Dam Brewery is must for food and brews. And there is a brewery in Frisco, blanking on name that is good. Also, stop by Moose Jaw bar for cheap beer and food. Are you renting a car? If so let me know, I have code that gets cheap rentals in Denver.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
The Holiday Inn in Frisco is good and has a good price. Right off I 70. Dillon Dam Brewery is must for food and brews. And there is a brewery in Frisco, blanking on name that is good. Also, stop by Moose Jaw bar for cheap beer and food. Are you renting a car? If so let me know, I have code that gets cheap rentals in Denver.

Typical travel BS. The further away you get (Georgetown, for example), the cheaper it is, but there's nothing around.

Thanks. My mother deals with rental cars all the time for her work, so she's going to try and hook us up. If not, I'll definitely reach out to you.

snoseek

Typical travel BS. The further away you get (Georgetown, for example), the cheaper it is, but there's nothing around.

Thanks. My mother deals with rental cars all the time for her work, so she's going to try and hook us up. If not, I'll definitely reach out to you.

The biggest downside to staying in Georgetown is having to go through the tunnel everyday and it's very dark and windy. If you can get past that there's a couple decent places to eat/drink and its sor of a nice little town. But those tunnels....