SLC Questions

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SLC Questions

SLC Questions

Looking to take my first ski trip outside of the Northeast in March to SLC. 3 skiers, none of us have ever been out West. I'd call myself advanced, but not expert, and the other two guys are a bit better than me. This is strickly a ski trip, so the only nightlife we're looking for is a pizza and a six pack in the hotel at night.

My question for the group, is it worthwhile to bounce around to different mountains, or should we set up shop at Alta/Snowbird and call it a trip? There are a few hotels in the Mid-Valley area offering 4 day/night packages using the SuperPass, so a day at Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, and Brighton. We'd be on the ski bus each day.

I tend to over think things like this, but I'm afraid we'd get a small taste of each resort, but not really be able to appreciate it fully, especially since none of us have ever been any place close to the size resort you get out West.

Thoughts?

St Bear: I'm lucky and get to go out there almost every year. My opinion is that the front 4 give me all the things I need and I don't travel around that much. They are from 10-15 miles from the condo in Cottonwood Heights. That said the Park City resorts are a mere 45 mins at the most away and offer very good skiing. Snowbasin and Powder Mountain are approx. 1-1.5 hours north and Sundance 1 hr south. All of them are worth a visit. Alta and Snowbird are of course great and plenty big enough to keep you very entertained for 4 days. I personally like the areas up in BCC. If there is a storm I recommend Brighton because the trails are thinner and visability better (Fun tree runs as well). You will find in a storm it is very hard to see out in the open. I'm also a big fan of Honeycomb Canyon at Solitude for fresh powder runs. Where ever you end up going enjoy. Before I started going to Utah on a pretty regular basis I never thought that there could be better snow than in Colorado (and it really good in Colorado) but Utah snow is special.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Send me a PM. Happy to help with more specific info. Depends on what you want to ski. You will want at least two days for Alta/Snowbird...more like three. Snowbird is a bit crazier than Alta in terms of terrain...as in terrain that is very accessible. Alta has some awesome stuff but you have to hike for it. If you had to go to one place, it would be Alta. The vibe is amazing and the skiing is great.

Solitude and Brighton are real locals places. The former is a bit glitzier than the latter. Solitude has a real funky lift set-up but the advantage being that the slackcountry stuff in Honeycomb is ripe for the taking almost all the time. Brighton is more cruisers and park scene...some slackcountry stuff. They have great nightskiing.

Canyons is a zoo....you need to have a good strategy for skiing there and commit to learning the mountain before you go to get the most out of it or else you will be traversing ALL day. Haven't been to PCMR but it has a lot of park, some good cruising, night skiing, and some good bowls and expert stuff. Deer Valley is amazing...great ego terrain, amazing food and service, amazing grooming and lifts, and surprisingly some good expert stuff that is not well tracked out. But it is pricey no doubt.

All of these places are within 40 mins of SLC. No joke. There are more a bit further out.

If you haven't sign up with SkiUtah.com to get their winter planner. And also go to http://www.visitsaltlake.com/ and sign up...they will send you free info and stickers to the Cottonwood Canyons resorts.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

I guess I should have been more clear in my initial rambling train-of-thought post.

We have it down to basically two options:

1) Hotel in the Mid-Valley area with the SuperPass. 1 day at Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton using the Ski Bus.
    2) 4-5 days at Snowbird, with at least 1 of those days using an AltaBird ticket, depending on the deal they give us.

I know we wouldn't be bored at Snowbird for 4 days, so I guess my question is would we be spreading ourselves too thin with the SuperPass option? Is only 1 day at each area too much jumping around? I'm afraid that if we're not familiar with the areas to begin with, we'd waste half the day trying to figure out where to go.

It such a great place. They have Super pass you can purchase and is good at 4 mountains that gets the most snow.

When we did SLC, we had a free condo to use in Park City and skied Canyons, Snowbird, Deer Valley, Snowbasin, and PCMR. It was a lot of moving around, but I really enjoyed the variety. Every day was great, but Snowbasin with wall to wall snow and 2 gondolas and a hs quad each with over 2k vertical to ourselves all day long was probably my favorite. I would say Canyons with its weird layout was my least favorite, but it was still fun to ski.

3 days at Snowbird would not be my 1st choice.

Sniebasin has some sick terrain. All the food in lodge in Utah is much better then the east. Snowbird had some amazing pulled pork. If you stay in the valley Mid valle is very central to all 4 . Pizza is not so good out there. Mexican is great though. You can use their about mass transit to get from Airport to other parts of the area. Solutite and Brighton you find powder days after a storm on the trails. You can't go wrong there.
    Snowbasin had the Olympics several years ago there bathroom in the lodge is the same size as a studio apartment in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Bear View Post
    I guess I should have been more clear in my initial rambling train-of-thought post.

1) Hotel in the Mid-Valley area with the SuperPass. 1 day at Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton using the Ski Bus.
    2) 4-5 days at Snowbird, with at least 1 of those days using an AltaBird ticket, depending on the deal they give us.

I know we wouldn't be bored at Snowbird for 4 days, so I guess my question is would we be spreading ourselves too thin with the SuperPass option? Is only 1 day at each area too much jumping around? I'm afraid that if we're not familiar with the areas to begin with, we'd waste half the day trying to figure out where to go.
    I been there 6 times and I always get the Super pass. Also the mountain road to Alta Snowbird can close but bus will still go to Brighton and Solutute that road does not really close. I like having the choice of all 4. You can try to Alta and Snowbird in one day but that is a lot to do.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Bear View Post

I would say if your up in a Canyon then stay in that canyon. No need to travel anywhere. There's more then enough for 4 days.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Hit all 4 LCC/BCC areas - the variety is great. I highly recommend the drive to Snowbasin, if you have an extra day.

Thread Information