White Water Rafting - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck_It_Baby View Post
    I bought a 17-18 foot Mohawk this past summer built from Royalex and am not sure if it's suited for white water or not. Bought it for canoe camping not WW. It's a pretty tough, can hold a lot of weight and I'm told royalex is rather indestructible so I am assuming hitting rocks here or there wouldn't be a huge issue?

I have no experience with WW...so I'm just probing here.
    It won't be "at home" like a dedicated OC-2 for WW....but most any canoe with some rocker can be paddled "most" anywhere. Most of it depends on the stroke skills, amount of rocker, and roundness of edges, within extremes....ie lots of boats can make it given the humans don't screw it up!...
    Always thought Mohawk did a pretty good job of design...not the super inexpensive reacreational things geared for zero wind & chop.
    Royalex is a good moving water/ww material....is heavy but there are helpful pads/yokes..and carts..etc which are great, and once in the density of water..can become pretty nimble without compromising stability..and most of all, can take more scratching on rocks yet perform like new. Thing is the stock seats are often pretty high, balance-wise. Lower them, use a comfortable foam pedestal...or something and you can really rock & roll while maintaining stability.
    Fwiw....one dvd by the late Bill Mason "Path of the Paddle" series..done in mid-70s...has ~4 videos merged into 1 DVD....was, and will always be, great stuff for instruction...most probably some, if not all uploaded onto YouTube somewhere..y/n?
    *Don't be afraid to leave it out in the winter or in the sun every year(except for the high exposure of mid July-August), moderate sun stiffens the material up a little...making it more responsive. Fact not opinion...
    Rambling...lol.
    Last edited by bigbog; Jan 8, 2014 at 10:55 AM.
    SteveD

Quote Originally Posted by bigbog View Post
    It won't be "at home" like a dedicated OC-2 for WW....but most any canoe with some rocker can be paddled "most" anywhere. Most of it depends on the stroke skills, amount of rocker, and roundness of edges, within extremes....ie lots of boats can make it given the humans don't screw it up!...
    Always thought Mohawk did a pretty good job of design...not the super inexpensive reacreational things geared for zero wind & chop.
    Royalex is a good moving water/ww material....is heavy but there are helpful pads/yokes..and carts..etc which are great, and once in the density of water..can become pretty nimble without compromising stability..and most of all, can take more scratching on rocks yet perform like new. Thing is the stock seats are often pretty high, balance-wise. Lower them, use a comfortable foam pedestal...or something and you can really rock & roll while maintaining stability.
    Fwiw....one dvd by the late Bill Mason "Path of the Paddle" series..done in mid-70s...has ~4 videos merged into 1 DVD....was, and will always be, great stuff for instruction...most probably some, if not all uploaded onto YouTube somewhere..y/n?
    *Don't be afraid to leave it out in the winter or in the sun every year(except for the high exposure of mid July-August), moderate sun stiffens the material up a little...making it more responsive. Fact not opinion...
    Rambling...lol.
    Thanks for all the info and advice! I'll have to search youtube for some of those videos before hitting any WW. My canoe is outside covered with snow now. I was worried about leaving it out there all winter but hopefully it will be OK.

Are you saying to lower the seats so your center of gravity is lower in the boat and thus more stabil?

Quote Originally Posted by Huck_It_Baby View Post
    Thanks for all the info and advice! I'll have to search youtube for some of those videos before hitting any WW. My canoe is outside covered with snow now. I was worried about leaving it out there all winter but hopefully it will be OK.

Are you saying to lower the seats so your center of gravity is lower in the boat and thus more stabil?
    Yeah..exactly. Great thing about Royalex boats....material can take what motha' nature hands out....but remember not even Royalex(becoming scarce in manufacture!) is inpenetrable...stiffer but lighter and heavier hybrid materials are making up the industry.
    If its gunwales are wood....good to unscrew/loosen/wrap a bit..if possible, OTHW...good to go.
    Last edited by bigbog; Feb 27, 2014 at 9:00 AM.
    SteveD

Have rafted the Kennebec twice and the Dead once---Kennebec is fun in the first stretch but then is basically a lazy river float. Dead is intense all the way thru.
    2018-19
    Wildcat 11/10

2017-2018 Days: 51
    2016-2017 Days: 51
    2015-2016 Days: 25
    2014-2015 Days: 36
    2013-2014 Days: 25
    2012-2013 Days: 16
    2011-2012 Days: 25
    2010-2011 Days: 24
    2009-2010 Days: 47

Most all the branches of rivers have their beginnings at dams, and they schedule releases at certain dates from spring to fall. That's when the companies raft and is best for kayaking/canoeing..but one can check the flows whenever (AW site).
    Everyone in the paddling community, kayaks, OC(open ww canoes) or rafts, checks the paddling calendars.
    American Whitewater's State/River Index link:

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/view/

*Under River Info tab you can goto any scheduled Release info.
    Last edited by bigbog; Feb 27, 2014 at 9:03 AM.
    SteveD

If its gunwales are wood....good to unscrew/loosen/wrap a bit..if possible, OTHW...good to go.
    Why?

There's always some contracting/expanding of wood at the connection points...(twisting screws..possibly producing little cracks around the screw holes....which could enlarge). Doesn't always happen...
    SteveD

There's always some contracting/expanding of wood at the connection points...(twisting screws..possibly producing little cracks around the screw holes....which could enlarge). Doesn't always happen...
    You mean specifically when storing it outside in the winter, correct?

Yes....outside...and where the air temp will be almost to that of outside, like in unheated workshed... Just loosen the screws a bit.. AT least that's what I've heard/read from several owners of Royalex/Wood...that do quite a lot of work with repairing.
    SteveD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l8lPnmxBA4 It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad River. Paddling the whitewater of the Mad River in the Mad River Valley, VT this past week. Not for the faint of heart. There are spots in this river you can walk across in the summertime, but not so much this time of year....
    Come for the Mountains. Stay for the Valley.

Thread Information