• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does anyone make their own Skis? or are interested in contributing to the design of ?

C-Rex

I do 3D modeling and drafting for a living, and I'd be interested in helping if someone were looking to give it a try.

Kicker Snowsports

Website
www.kickersnowsports.com
true. It is a indirect plug. Although I'm really trying to gauge the interest of the ski community. It is clear that there are a lot of passionate skiers but you don't hear much about the tinkerers, the hobbyists or those with a curiosity about designs and challenges in technology. I want to hear those stories. We are trying to work on a community project but I was curious what other skiers projects were.

OffPeak

While living in Buffalo in the mid 80's I skied at Holiday Valley. I began to see a skier or two show up with very short ski skates.

After moving to Concord,Ma last year I bought a pair of Line Prophets. A bit of googling the history of Line skis. I'm almost certain that I was seeing the skis made as a project by a University of Buffalo student. He later started Line skiis.

Brad J

While living in Buffalo in the mid 80's I skied at Holiday Valley. I began to see a skier or two show up with very short ski skates.

After moving to Concord,Ma last year I bought a pair of Line Prophets. A bit of googling the history of Line skis. I'm almost certain that I was seeing the skis made as a project by a University of Buffalo student. He later started Line skiis.

I believe that guy has just started his own new company J ski's, look up his wed site prices seam good.

Kicker Snowsports

Website
www.kickersnowsports.com
Yup, I'd send him a PM

You can look at this thread where he goes over the considerations http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/120624-Help-me-design-next-skis

Exactly what I was looking for. Happy to see we aren't the only crazy ones making our own skis. Thanks. I'll be on the slopes today for the first time on the first pair of skis my buddies and I made. I'm pretty excited. We had a long summer developing a few prototypes and getting our manufacturing process down. Today is the day all those months will pay off!

Domeskier

Exactly what I was looking for. Happy to see we aren't the only crazy ones making our own skis. Thanks. I'll be on the slopes today for the first time on the first pair of skis my buddies and I made. I'm pretty excited. We had a long summer developing a few prototypes and getting our manufacturing process down. Today is the day all those months will pay off!

Good luck. I hope you are able to carve out a nice niche in the market. Or get bought out by one of the big boys for a nice payday if that's what you want!

Cannonball

You're gonna want to talk to these guys...

06-shaping-new-ski-670f.jpg

Photograph by Jonas Bendiksen
Tursen, at right, and Ashatu shape a new ski, carved from a freshly felled spruce tree. They heat the tips to soften them for bending and, after curing, apply rawhide bindings and tack horsehide to the bottoms.

mishka

You're gonna want to talk to these guys...

I have another one. This is more like step-by-step instructions :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXdbqa65GhI

aaahhhhh nothing like first run on your own skis. I have 4 days on my skisand except for the first day I'm not bringing factory skis with me anymore.... Don't need to

I build pair of skis. You definitely not only one making your own skis... well maybe in Washington DC.