• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat behind the pack this year

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
After this last snowfall, Wildcat is still at 6 out of 49 trails open and one lift operating. According to an inquiry I posted on FB, they indicated that they could only open trails where they made snow. Sorry guys, sounds like a shoestring operation for a top-flight mountain. Probably has a lot to do with the fact it's a day trippers mountain, they're not allowed to build on site lodging etc. and probably some environmental concerns? It's a shame, even Ragged has more open.

canobie#1

Ragged has a better system than wildcat anyway. Wildcat blew it when they cancelled the opening on the lynx trail. Lets hope for their sake we get another storm before x-mas.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Talked to a Wildcat regular at Crotched today. They froze a snowmaking pipe on Upper Lynx, which I guess is the same pipe that also feeds over to Upper Pole Cat. I guess either someone forgot to discharge the water in the pipe when it wasn't being used or the system malfunctioned. Apparently when this happens you're pretty much screwed. Wildcat actually brought a bunch of hay bails up to the frozen pipe, buried the pipe and set the hay on fire in an attempt to defrost the pipe, but it didn't work. What will need to be done is they'll have to cut out the frozen section of the pipe and replace it. No word if that's happened yet.

As much as it would be great for Wildcat to have an advanced snowmaking system to open the mountain quicker at the start of the year, it's not something I expect out of Wildcat. They've always been poor at snowmaking, yet they always pretty much have one of if not the longest season in NH. They get the most snow in the state (except Balsams) have a good Northwestern exposure and a 2000 foot base. They'll be fine eventually. I'm fine skiing elsewhere early season.

canobie#1

You'd think they would atleast snowmake on the lower bottom of the trails while the summit is un-avaible.

millerm277

You'd think they would atleast snowmake on the lower bottom of the trails while the summit is un-avaible.

Depends on how it affects the rest of the system. If drain valves and other things are now blocked, trying to do other snowmaking could just ruin more of the system until they can fix it/work around it, or it may be impossible entirely.

yeggous

Wildcat has really screwed up this year. They're about in the same shape as they were at this time the last two years, but their competition is WAY ahead. Peak Resorts really needs to reassess their investments or be prepared to lose customers.

They have been blowing on the lower mountain. Lower Lynx and Cheetah are open with a good base. Lower Wildcat opened today. They have been blowing on Lower Polecat too, though they'll need to add Tomcat or Middle Polecat to connect to a lift.

I just don't want to believe what a crappy situation they are in.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Angus

They definitely have been investing in snowmaking since acquisitions so this sounds like an equipment failure as referenced above. I know from conversation, alot of pipe is really old. Speaking to them pre-season, they were very optimistic and plan was to open from top to bottom. too bad. for passholders, what's the deal at Attitash? Have they open more aggressively?

Yooper

Yes I also noticed the last several years they seem to slow on the draw not sure if Tim Boyd of Peak Resorts purchase is coincidental with the problems but I surely do not recall problems of this nature prior.

canobie#1

Sounds to me like ragged mountain in 2007 when they had old pipes that didn't even work.
Maybe bob fries should come in and save this place too lol

millerm277

Sounds to me like ragged mountain in 2007 when they had old pipes that didn't even work.
Maybe bob fries should come in and save this place too lol

The age of the pipes doesn't have anything to do with someone forgetting to open a valve and freezing the line up.

If they were having pipe blowouts or other leaks, then it'd be a problem. Not saying it isn't an issue more broadly speaking, but it isn't really related to this.

darent

talked to a Attitash regular the other day and they had two trails open top to bottom, hope they got some of the latest snow.

yeggous

talked to a Attitash regular the other day and they had two trails open top to bottom, hope they got some of the latest snow.

Try one trail top to bottom on the smaller side. The summit is still closed. Welcome to skiing according to Peak Resorts.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

canobie#1

Wildcat opened uper lynx and middle wildcat today.
They're running the tomcat and the express.

I gotta say, i am loving the attention given o the triple. The ride up is so nice and the chair itself is awesome.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Wildcat has never really had a large snowmaking system nor been known as the "Sunday River" of New Hampshire. The previous ownership had been running the mountain for a long time and had really gotten pretty tired. They were ready to get out.

As to Peaks, we're all forgetting that they are (or were) in the middle of trying to raise capital through an IPO. So they have to be even more careful with regards to spending...I mean investing...in their resorts.

Frozen pipes really suck. It happened at Sugarbush a while back right near Heaven's Gate and I watched them on a frigid January day with an excavator trying to dig it out. It also happened at Cannon a while back and had a devastating impact. Like here, that ended snowmaking for that season. Shit happens.

I think the point regarding lodging needs to be expanded. I think that Bill meant to say that their revenue streams are very limited and that if there were more streams of revenue that things might be different. Maybe yes, maybe no.

I also think that most would recognize that Wildcat has some very old infrastructure from the previous ownership that was very tired of being ski area owners and that such work does not get done overnight, especially in the WMNF with its review processes.

SIKSKIER

Cannon froze Upper Cannon's water line 2 years ago.They ended up finding at least a dozen leaks and never got to use it that winter.Last year they put a whole new line in.Wildcat might be in the same boat.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Cannon froze Upper Cannon's water line 2 years ago.They ended up finding at least a dozen leaks and never got to use it that winter.Last year they put a whole new line in.Wildcat might be in the same boat.

Thanks. I recall that it happened during a bad season when they really needed snowmaking and they couldn't do a thing because of cost and other issues. It sucks.

We've had some subzero temps over last weekend and I was surprised that Snowbird kept their fan guns going. I figured that they would pull the plug to prevent freezing. But no problems.

MadMadWorld

IMO, Wildcat tends to be slow openers in most years. I also think their trails tend to need more base than most mtns because of the combo of natural obstacles and wind.

yeggous

The latest snow report says that they are blowing on lower polecat and wild kitten. They're clearly focusing on the lower mountain and trying to get some "family friendly" trails by Christmas. It is hard to imagine what they will be able to offer without Upper Polecat in the mix.

This weekend's liquid precipitation is going to kill off their natural snow trails from the summit. I think their plan for the frozen pipe is to wait for summer. They must be screwed if they still are not blowing on Upper Lynx.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app