• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow 12/15/2013

Euler

Spent the afternoon enjoying the $29 Vermonter Special Rate for a 12:00-4:00 session at Mount Snow. I had just been there last Weds, and it was a striking change after the storm! Many natural trails are open...most a bit scratchy, but well set up for the next snowfall.

Stayed on the main mountain since crowds were sparse...I don't spend much time riding the Bluebird and Canyon lift on Sundays once the season gets rolling. Ridge, Snowdance, Cascade,Canyon were all chock full of soft powder moguls from the new snow being pushed around all morning before I got there. All were loads of fun. Snowdance has gone from half covered on Weds to fully covered today...it's a hell of a wide trail!

Run(s) of the day were two trips down Uncles...that remains my very favorite trail at Mount Snow, esp in conditions like today's. It's narrow, winding, full of bumps, and when the snow pack isn't deep has lots of opportunities for hoping over random obstacles like rocks, waterbars and brambles...it's a good quality New England skiing experience!

Crowds were pretty sparse for a Sunday. It's early season and I think the storm kept people away more than it drew them in.

Hope to be back Wednesday afternoon for another short session.

mlctvt

I skied about 4 hours 8am-12 noon. I agree with you about Uncles that run and an early AM run down Challenger were the runs of the day. Ledge was great too. It's too bad that they didn't open more trails though. If they can open Uncles and Challenger then everything should have been open today, at least for a few hours before it got scraped off.

Today I found out about my lack of physical conditioning this year. I didn't do my normal 2-3 months of intense leg exercizes this fall so I was shot in about 4 hours of non-stop skiing.

drjeff

Spent the afternoon enjoying the $29 Vermonter Special Rate for a 12:00-4:00 session at Mount Snow. I had just been there last Weds, and it was a striking change after the storm! Many natural trails are open...most a bit scratchy, but well set up for the next snowfall.

Stayed on the main mountain since crowds were sparse...I don't spend much time riding the Bluebird and Canyon lift on Sundays once the season gets rolling. Ridge, Snowdance, Cascade,Canyon were all chock full of soft powder moguls from the new snow being pushed around all morning before I got there. All were loads of fun. Snowdance has gone from half covered on Weds to fully covered today...it's a hell of a wide trail!

Run(s) of the day were two trips down Uncles...that remains my very favorite trail at Mount Snow, esp in conditions like today's. It's narrow, winding, full of bumps, and when the snow pack isn't deep has lots of opportunities for hoping over random obstacles like rocks, waterbars and brambles...it's a good quality New England skiing experience!

Crowds were pretty sparse for a Sunday. It's early season and I think the storm kept people away more than it drew them in.

Hope to be back Wednesday afternoon for another short session.

The crowds this AM were pretty solid, the 15" of powder, with a thin bit of crust on it from the light freezing mist that went on from about 6AM to 9ish (hence the frosted bubbles I'm sure you noticed on the BB today) made early morning turns tiring for many, and a bunch of folks quit early.

Was great to see so many rope drops, and frankly this storm was PERFECT for early season base building! 15" of moderate density snow that fell in an almost windless storm and then a bit of moisture on top to keep the snow there! I sure hope that they're burning LOTS of diesel tonight to pack it down and let it set up for GREAT base snow!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

C-Rex

My friends and I had a fantastic day at Mt. Snow yesterday. Deep powder all over the place! I had a few head over heels tumbles and got up laughing everytime! The Blue Bird had a solid line at times but at others it wasn't so bad. We just hit the quad next door if the line had built up when we got down. As the Doc said, Electra was a perfect base-building storm. I hopped into some of the glades off Deer Run and had no problem avoiding the very few obstacles showing through. I also rode many trails that had no base prior to the storm and by the end of the day the base of my board was unscratched. I expect trail counts to skyrocket this week. Carinthia was a lot of fun. There was a bit of a line for the quad but it went quick and a lot of the people were just over there to get fresh tracks on the trails without features. So the parks themselves were fairly uncrowded.

If yesterday was any indication of what the season will be like, we're in for a good one!!!

Glenn

We did the 8-12 shift as well. I got first tracks down Roller Coaster. I had to straight line it because the snow was so deep. An instructor thanked me for breaking trail so his group could get down. There was a kid under the Canyon lift who lost his ski in the snow; he found it about 30 minutes later. Utah problems in Southern Vermont.

Everything skied really well yesterday. We were still finding fresh stuff over at Carinthia by late morning. The snow was deep and light. The groomers had nice soft bumps on them as the day progressed. Temps were just about perfect.

I think the roads may have kept the crowds away. Our normally 25 minute ride took an hour in the morning. Small price to pay. Hope we get a few more like this going forward.

MommaBear

We enjoyed the day on Sunday as well! Drove up Saturday evening, after final exams at UConn - normal ride of 2.25 hrs was closer to 4, but we got there in one piece and all was well. And it was worth it when we woke to snow (light and fluffy) up over the running boards of our truck Sunday morning. Kids managed to ski all day - including a friend who recently learned to ski. Sunday was her first powder day, and her first ski day of the season. She had a blast and went right to last chair. I only made it to noon - legs were shot thanks to runs down Chute and Fallen Timbers (Challenger was pretty scraped off by the time I got over there). Bear Trap looked bad from the lift (lots of grass showing), but I found skier's left to be perfect with plenty of powder. Took several trips down it then hit Inferno, skier's right was lots of fun powdery bumps, before calling it a day. Crowd was much lighter than we expected - was surprised to get a close parking spot over at Carinthia at 8:30am! Fun day.

MommaBear

There was a kid under the Canyon lift who lost his ski in the snow; he found it about 30 minutes later. Utah problems in Southern Vermont.

We saw that from the lift and wondered what they were looking for. Found myself in the same situation over on Fallen Timbers about 30 minutes later. Took me a solid 5 minutes or more to find my second ski. Had hit some really deep stuff and double ejected so I expected them to be right next to each other. Was surprised (and a bit worried) when it wasn't showing up! Dug down deeper and back a bit further and finally found it.

Cornhead

We saw that from the lift and wondered what they were looking for. Found myself in the same situation over on Fallen Timbers about 30 minutes later. Took me a solid 5 minutes or more to find my second ski. Had hit some really deep stuff and double ejected so I expected them to be right next to each other. Was surprised (and a bit worried) when it wasn't showing up! Dug down deeper and back a bit further and finally found it.

The patrol at Snow Ridge spent their day helping people look for their skis in four feet of powder Friday. I helped a couple people struggling to just stand up after they'd fallen. One girl said it was her first day boarding after a three year hiatus, as she lay floundering trying to unstrap her board, welcome back! So glad my skis stayed firmly attached to my boots. The proverbial needle in a haystack.