• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

As a ski/snowboard instructor, what do you always carry in your coat?

snowboardergirl9

First, sorry if this is the wrong forum, I wasn't 100% sure where to post this.

So, my question, for any of you who teach skiing and/or boarding, what do you always carry around in your instructing coat?
I always like to have ski wax, edgie wedgie, ski scraper, and tissues.

Just trying to get an idea what I should/could add to my coat for this year!
Thanks! :)

skiNEwhere

I'm not an instructor but I would think a small first aid kit and/or CPR mask if you're qualified wouldn't hurt

Abominable

When I taught I always carried candy / little chocolates (Halloween sizes) for the kids. I guess these days you'd better know more about chocolate / nut allergies though?

Ski schools should keep a secret stash of kids gloves, hats and goggles handy; if they didn't, I'd consider getting a few cheapies or last year's lost and found cast-offs.

Also, business cards to give folks after a lesson so next time they ask for you specifically.

Bobt2ski

I carry a sandwich in my pocket because during the holiday periods there is sometimes no time to go in and eat!!!!

MadMadWorld

For adults I always carried duct tape, wax, screw driver (for skis I was certified on) and cell phone. Sometimes a trail map to give them recommendations to go once the lesson is over. For kids I carried pretty much everything above as well as anything that I thought might keep their attention (I used to haul around a stuffed Scooby Doo). Frisbees worked really good as markers for turning as well as kids enjoyed pretending to use them as steering wheels. It did a pretty good job at keeping their weight forward.

Stache

Website
WWW.SKIWITHSTACHE.COM
I always carry two pair of the dollar store one size fits all gloves. When someone drops a glove off the lift, doubling up two of these on one hand can get them through the lesson. They also work great as liners on a cold day.

Savemeasammy

Frisbees worked really good as markers for turning as well as kids enjoyed pretending to use them as steering wheels. It did a pretty good job at keeping their weight forward.

I like this. Next time we get together, I am going to say something like "hey, will you watch Jackson (my 4 year old) for a second...?" Then I'm going to ditch you two for the day! It sounds like you'd be a far better teacher than me! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadMadWorld

I like this. Next time we get together, I am going to say something like "hey, will you watch Jackson (my 4 year old) for a second...?" Then I'm going to ditch you two for the day! It sounds like you'd be a far better teacher than me! :)

Deal. And then you can spend time teaching me how to ski bumps....When the knee heals!

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
First, sorry if this is the wrong forum, I wasn't 100% sure where to post this.

So, my question, for any of you who teach skiing and/or boarding, what do you always carry around in your instructing coat?
I always like to have ski wax, edgie wedgie, ski scraper, and tissues.

Just trying to get an idea what I should/could add to my coat for this year!
Thanks! :)

I usually just carry a trail map and a pencil.

Other instructors use the stuff you mentioned, but I just bang the ice off the bottom of kids' boots with a pole, carrying wax might be a liability problem (I can just see someone saying "my skis went too fast because that instructor put wax on them!"), and I hate those edgy wedgie things. Independent leg action is the advantage of skiing over snowboarding, why rip it away from kids?

I usually don't carry candy either. With allergies and picky parents, it's just not worth the hassle.

Really, it's not what you carry, but how you carry yourself that's important with kids. If you're having fun, then they're usually having fun.

MadMadWorld

I usually just carry a trail map and a pencil.

Other instructors use the stuff you mentioned, but I just bang the ice off the bottom of kids' boots with a pole, carrying wax might be a liability problem (I can just see someone saying "my skis went too fast because that instructor put wax on them!"), and I hate those edgy wedgie things. Independent leg action is the advantage of skiing over snowboarding, why rip it away from kids?

I usually don't carry candy either. With allergies and picky parents, it's just not worth the hassle.

Really, it's not what you carry, but how you carry yourself that's important with kids. If you're having fun, then they're usually having fun.

The way you carry yourself is huge with kids they will pickup on body language and tone immediately. If you can win over a child's trust you can pretty much get them to do whatever you want because they have little fear. On the other hand, I do think it's important to have a big of tricks. Everyone learns differently and sometimes physical objects do the trick.

Savemeasammy

Deal. And then you can spend time teaching me how to ski bumps....When the knee heals!

To MMW's credit, he already has a great technique that lends itself to good bump skiing! Bump skiing is a great trick to have in your bag, though!

OzSkiCT

Things in my instructor jacket pockets:

Tissues - never know when a young student needs one

A variety of stickers (Disney Cars, Princesses, Angry Birds, Super heroes) - perfect distraction for a child who is a little upset, or for use as a reward, or to put onto the skis to help remind them to keep the tips close together.

Almonds and/or granola bar - perfect for when I don't get much time between lessons to grab a bite to eat

Trail maps - good to review the Responsibility Code with students young and old

Scraper - makes it so much easier to clean boots off, especially during a beginner/novice lesson where none of us are using poles

Cell phone - kept silent, but handy just in case my wife or kids need to reach me. I'll give them a call back at the end of my lesson unless I get several repeat calls in a row (something urgent going on).

Chap stick and a small sunscreen - for taking care of my skin on the slopes. No point getting cracked or burnt skin

Ski lock - for when I return to the lodge and want my stuff to still be there when I get back

Nitrile gloves and a few bandaids - just in case I have to deal with a cut or scrape

PSIA Tip of the Day booklets - to hand out to students with space for me to write something to work on until we meet again (PS: These are free to PSIA members though you need to pay for shipping.)

Lesson program progress cards - for the group programs I have throughout the week. Duplicates are filled in and kept at the ski school desk in case I'm away.

Personal notebook - to record all the students I have throughout the season.

A variety of pens and pencils to write with. NOTE: Beware of Sharpie pens - they freeze when it's nearly zero outside !!!

Hand warmers - no point in me, or my students, having freezing hands and feeling miserable. Purchased in bulk, these cost less than $1

A lot of the other items that others have mentioned for use in lessons like frisbees, tennis ball halves, cones, etc are in our kids learning area and provided by Ski School.