• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Christmas week, 12/22-28

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
At this rate, by Monday my yard will be entirely transformed from white to brown. Feels like spring in the flatlands...

All I've got to hope is that the resorts are prepared to blow like hell on Monday night and all day/night Tuesday. Boston globe reported that bookings and season pass sales were up ~10% across the region compared to last year.

Cornhead

The Weather Channel erroneously predicted partly cloudy and 61° for Sunday in my area earlier today, now back to r#%n. I was ready to break out my shorts and make lemonade out of lemons and harvest some Christmas corn. Oh well, glad I found some pow just before this hit.

There may be some hope around New Years... maybe. Too far out to know, but signals are there for a storm.

goldsbar

Woke up this morning to almost no snow left. Sure, I'm in NJ but at 900 ft and we had half a foot on the ground in spots yesterday. Tuesday and Wednesday are looking like great snowmaking days before the Xmas rush. Better than nothing!

drjeff

Starting at some point on Monday, I think its a safe bet to say that there will hardly be a snowmaker anywhere across New England getting very much rest this week! Great temps will be here soon and we're lucky enough to live in an area with GREAT snowmaking prowess!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

Starting at some point on Monday, I think its a safe bet to say that there will hardly be a snowmaker anywhere across New England getting very much rest this week! Great temps will be here soon and we're lucky enough to live in an area with GREAT snowmaking prowess!!

Positivity.

I kinda like it.

goldsbar

How about washed, waxed and left inside all weekend? It's now pouring. Oh well. Looks like low temps will be back soon.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
How is Stowe Bush and Jay doing?
At the stake on Mansfield, the depth went from 24 to 16 in two days. This morning's conditions are loose granular. They assert their base is intact. I only have first-hand knowledge of Stowe, and for them I can say they will recover quickly with their strong snowmaking capability. They are aggressive and spare no expense pumping out and grooming the white. You can be sure it will be an around-the-clock effort - they have the staff and resources to do so. I hear it every year from their reps - they never take their eye off their "primary product" - the slopes. I have to agree. The woods? Well, that's gonna be postponed for everyone. Now, how come nobody is sacrificing virgins to Ullr?

ullr.jpg

fbrissette

How is Stowe Bush and Jay doing?

Jay lost a lot of snow but there is still decent cover to be had. It was hit pretty bad by the ice storm. 3/8 of an inch solid. Broken branches all over the woods. Will need a decent dump to make the woods skiable again.

Tin

Jay lost a lot of snow but there is still decent cover to be had. It was hit pretty bad by the ice storm. 3/8 of an inch solid. Broken branches all over the woods. Will need a decent dump to make the woods skiable again.

Uhhh...I'll be heading up in two weeks, hope they get some by then. Do you think Ullr prefers goats, chickens, or reindeer?

4aprice

Well the thaw over performed down here. Not all that terribly depressed as with the approaching holiday week I've been planning to lay low anyways. Hopefully a week from today we will have had a decent snowmaking window opened and recovery in major progress. NYE/NY's is the target to start hitting it again.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Quick FB updates from selected resorts. Gives a pretty good roundup of the impact.

Cochran's - (status at 10:30am) Just the Mighty Mite until further Notice. Too much ice on the cable for the T-Bar. Please stay tuned. Thanks for your patience during this ice storm.

Steaux
9:30 am Monday and it is snowing at the top of the FourRunner Quad.

Snowing at the top now. We are turning the corner...snowmakers are poised and ready to go tonight. It is time to flex some snowmaking muscle over the next few days.

Mt. Sno
Temps are expected to get to snowmaking range by this evening. After that, it's on.

JP
All lifts open and set for an on-time opening. Huge shout out to Lift Maintenance team for their hard work over the past 24 hours. Temps are cooling and forecast calls for an inch or two of snow this afternoon. Trails are still a wild card until Patrol evaluates, but looking to hold around 30 trails with two parks.

Stratton
Tomorrow (Monday, December 23rd) we will be delaying opening until 9am. This will give our grooming team a little extra time to give the trails a beauty treatment and let them start the holiday week off right.

Cannon (yesterday)
The weatherman gave it to us straight, so we'll give it to you straight. It's wet, temps are dropping and all lifts are on wind hold except the Tuckerbook Chair. Tickets are $25 all day if you'd like to give it a go. We'll keep checking the lifts on wind-hold. Moving forward, temps are dropping meaning snowmaking fires back up with a vengence tomorrow. We're still shooting to have terrain off the summit at some point during the Christmas week. Stay tuned and stay safe out there today!

mrg (yesterday)
Freezing rain greets us this morning - who knows what is left up there after the latest weather event.

butternut
Ok Ok it's a little wet out there but that nasty four letter word "RAIN" is supposed to pass by noon to 1p.m. today. Special kids lessons for today include a salsa class titled "dance through the raindrops" at 10 a.m., then we proceed to our noon intermediate and advanced swimming classes, and as a special conditions of the day we'll finish with a 2 p.m. mud facial for those parents that just hav...

attitash
OPERATION UPDATE: Attitash Mountain Resort Closed Today, Monday, December 23, Due To Icing On All Lifts.

sugarbush
The SuperQuad will be delayed to start the day due to icing overnight, but other lifts are all running as scheduled. 36 trails open this morning, and ski patrol will be poking around throughout the day to check out additional terrain as well. Our Mtn. Operations Twitter feed will have the latest updates for you all day long.

WV
Good morning skiers and riders! In the spirit of Christmas, we're breaking our $10 minimum. $7 lift tickets for all on Patriots Tuesday!

Loon
IMO: serious spin - not much in terms of a reality check

Bolton - today
Just got an update from our groomer. It sounds like he might not be able to get the lower portion of Beech Seal ready for today. Look for Beech Seal to open tomorrow, after he has a chance to push some snow over the thin areas.

Let's put this weird weather behind us. We'll open today at 9am with 3 lifts and 7 trails. The deeper base depths on our snowmaking trails held up relatively well during the warm spell. Today, temps should remain above freezing giving us soft, springlike conditions. Tonight, temps drop below freezing (and will stay that way for several days) and our snowmakers will get back at it. Winter is on its way back.

bolton, yesterday
As of 8:45am we have no power and have decided to close for the day. If we do get power back for some time this morning, more power outages are probable.

sunapee
The Main Mountain trails off the summit and the Sunbowl trails will be closed today for extensive grooming as we prepare to resume snowmaking tonight. We expect these trails to re-open Tuesday. We will be making snow 24/7 through the holidays. 30 trails/6 lifts today.

Otis Ridge yesterday
YUK. That's all there is to say. Except that the temps should drop enough by tomorrow night to fire up the guns again and start repairing the damage done by the 60 degree temps. Bunny/Pony/Robber Oak and Knox are still in good shape so come on out for day skiing tomorrow!

Killington
Tomorrow we start making snowstorms!