• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

December 29-30

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
CONUS1_MESO-ETA212_SFC_ACCUMSNOWFALL_48HR.gif

ScottySkis

Does anyone know if it will snow all day at Mountainsnow tomorrow Sunday the 29? I go if snow not rain is forecasted..I looked at NOAA for West Dover and see some rain but MT snow facebook page saids heavy snow I go for that.

skiberg

Light rain early changing to a short period of heavy snow. Probably 3 inches or so.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
NWS expects fairly heavy rain in the afternoon with temps as high as 40. Temps only vary as much as five degrees summit to base on the average. This means above freezing at the summit.
It looks to play out the same way it did at burke last week. The rains come in about 1-2pm. Ski your brains out until then. It dumps 4" overnight, making for a pleasant Monday. Hmmmm.

Hourly forecast:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...extField2=-72.85288&site=all&unit=0&dd=0&bw=0

FXUS61 KALY 290016
AFDALY

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ALBANY NY
716 PM EST SAT DEC 28 2013
MOST AREAS
CAN EXPECT 1 TO 3 INCHES OF SNOW WITH 3 TO 6 INCHES ACROSS THE
SOUTHERN GREEN MOUNTAINS. HAVE NOT ISSUED AN ADVISORY AT THIS TIME
AS CONFIDENCE IS RATHER LOW REGARDING HOW MUCH PCPN WILL FALL AS
SNOW AND HOW MUCH AS RAIN. EXPECT HIGHS ON SUNDAY TO BE IN THE MID
30S TO LOWER 40S WITH LOWS SUNDAY NIGHT IN THE TEENS TO MID 20S.

RECREATIONAL FORECAST
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
230 PM EST SAT DEC 28 2013

.THE HIGHER SUMMITS FORECAST FOR THE GREEN MOUNTAINS OF VERMONT...

.TONIGHT...SUMMITS OBSCURED IN CLOUDS. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF VERY LIGHT
FREEZING DRIZZLE AFTER MIDNIGHT. LOWS IN THE MID 20S. WEST WINDS
15 TO 30 MPH. WIND CHILL VALUES IN THE SINGLE DIGITS ABOVE ZERO.
.SUNDAY...SUMMITS OBSCURED IN CLOUDS. SNOW OR A CHANCE OF RAIN IN
THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS IN THE MID 30S. SOUTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 30 MPH.
.SUNDAY NIGHT...SUMMITS OBSCURED IN CLOUDS. SNOW OR RAIN UNTIL
MIDNIGHT...THEN A CHANCE OF SNOW AFTER MIDNIGHT. LOWS AROUND 20.
SOUTH WINDS 5 TO 15 MPH...BECOMING WEST AT 15 TO 30 MPH AFTER
MIDNIGHT. WIND CHILL VALUES IN THE SINGLE DIGITS ABOVE ZERO AFTER
MIDNIGHT.
.MONDAY...CLOUDY IN THE MORNING...THEN BECOMING PARTLY SUNNY. A
CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS. HIGHS AROUND 20. TEMPERATURES FALLING TO
AROUND ZERO IN THE AFTERNOON. WEST WINDS 25 TO 40 MPH. WIND CHILL
VALUES IN THE LOWER 30S BELOW ZERO IN THE AFTERNOON.

Last edited:

Euler

Does anyone know if it will snow all day at Mountainsnow tomorrow Sunday the 29? I go if snow not rain is forecasted..I looked at NOAA for West Dover and see some rain but MT snow facebook page saids heavy snow I go for that.

I'd trust NOAA's forecast for the area A LOT more than Mountainsnow's propoganda from their website and Facebook page My read is that it's gonna probably rain tomorrow afternoon, changing to snow after dark tomorrow night. Ski on Monday if you can.

ScottySkis

I'd trust NOAA's forecast for the area A LOT more than Mountainsnow's propoganda from their website and Facebook page My read is that it's gonna probably rain tomorrow afternoon, changing to snow after dark tomorrow night. Ski on Monday if you can.

That was my original plan to skip tomorrow. I might ski Platty Monday if they get snow their expectations are 3-6 by in after this next storm I hear from independent weather Rebecca North East Facebook's page . I didn't want to drive that far anyway on HolidAY in South Vermont resort but I want to ski good or great powder as much as possible.

catsup948

Going to be a total elevation dependent storm anywhere over 2000 feet may do well with this one. Air mass is yucky for late December though. Bring on some luck and help from the snow gods!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Question will be moisture content. It will be great for restoring the base, and the resorts need it bad this week. NWS is anticipating heavy-weight (high moisture) snow in VT.

I'm eyeing Mt. Wash Valley for Monday.

xwhaler

Going to be a total elevation dependent storm anywhere over 2000 feet may do well with this one. Air mass is yucky for late December though. Bring on some luck and help from the snow gods!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Meet me at Magic tomorrow! 😃

Sent from my VS980 4G using AlpineZone mobile app

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Get out Monday, high prices and all.

Odd that so few people have been making sacrifices to Ullr this year. It's no wonder we had such a deluge of water :( No point in leaving your old skis and boards in the basement to rust. Do you part today.

ScottySkis

Get out Monday, high prices and all.

Odd that so few people have been making sacrifices to Ullr this year. It's no wonder we had such a deluge of water :( No point in leaving your old skis and boards in the basement to rust. Do you part today.

I will. Vermont Travel Club card will help to bring down prices. I think I will hit Mountsnow tomorrow, then drive up to Barre and hit the Bush and another on Wednesday then go home. Hopefully you get some powder to Billski.:)

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
As a result of much procrastination, here's a first cut at the Snow forecast map with ski areas annotated. Crude, but it works. I'm going to try and figure out how to overlay the annotations on future maps so I can get out and ski. Enjoy!

NH-ME-SKI=FCST-DEC 30.jpg
btw, I figured out how to do an overlay. Now I'll clean it up and keep it for the next storm. I'll do one for VT too. This is going to help me circumnavigate ski safaris during a storm! :)

Last edited:

dmw

Looking good for my first ever day riding in Maine!

As a result of much procrastination, here's a first cut at the Snow forecast map with ski areas annotated. Crude, but it works. I'm going to try and figure out how to overlay the annotations on future maps so I can get out and ski. Enjoy!

View attachment 9991
btw, I figured out how to do an overlay. Now I'll clean it up and keep it for the next storm. I'll do one for VT too. This is going to help me circumnavigate ski safaris during a storm! :)

Good Work Bill! Really informative. FYI you forgot sunapee;-)

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Good Work Bill! Really informative. FYI you forgot sunapee;-)
Since I am really only doing this for myself (and you guys get the breadcrumbs) there are several resorts that simply aren't on my radar this year. I'm using it real time to ID where I'm going this storm. Don't forget, those numbers are valley numbers - the peaks most likely will have more. I've got a community ski safari planned for the next two days. Nobody wants to come, but they sure like to read my reports!

ScottySkis

Since I am really only doing this for myself (and you guys get the breadcrumbs) there are several resorts that simply aren't on my radar this year. I'm using it real time to ID where I'm going this storm. Don't forget, those numbers are valley numbers - the peaks most likely will have more. I've got a community ski safari planned for the next two days. Nobody wants to come, but they sure like to read my reports!

I would love to go with you one day. I see platty getting snow so I might go their tomorrow. Then do Vermont Tuesday and or Wednesday have fun Billski where ever you end up.