• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

December 29-30

The GFS weather model has been showing a potent but quick moving coastal system on the 29th. The Euro and other lesser models are now on board.

Impacts:

The cold air will be almost scoured out in Southern New England. While the track is perfect for a major New England snowstorm, the cold just won't be there.

Starting around the Monadnocks, there will be some stale cold air harboring temps at or just below freezing. It is quite possible the region's to the north of this area will get a snowstorm of paste. Early estimates show that there will be a ton of precip associated with the storm. 6+ inches of heavy wet snow north of the Monads are likely.

Ski areas such as Crotched, Berkshire East, Jiminy Peak and possibly Wachusett will be a close call if the current solution pans out.

xwhaler

Interesting.....we'll keep an eye on this. I'll be in So VT so if Magic gets anything we'll be there.

Interesting.....we'll keep an eye on this. I'll be in So VT so if Magic gets anything we'll be there.

Right now I would think Magic is a good bet. What I don't know is how far north and west to the good snows are, I have very low confidence about how this storm is going to go.

Euro just trended colder :) Snow to 495,
Wachusett in the game.

BenedictGomez

12z GFS colder today, shows a pretty decent storm with L off NJ in this pic.

And I'm inclined to believe it because this image shows the Poconos getting screwed in the worst way imaginable, so it's probably true!

8yug.png

Last edited:

ScottySkis

I like this maybe I do Magic on Saturday and do 3 North Vermont Sunday to New years day. Any snow for North Vermont over next week?

Huck_It_Baby

I like this maybe I do Magic on Saturday and do 3 North Vermont Sunday to New years day. Any snow for North Vermont over next week?

Snowing hard up here today scotty. Maybe 3 inches down at my house in Champlain Valley so far and probably more at elevation.

Cornhead

Snowing hard up here today scotty. Maybe 3 inches down at my house in Champlain Valley so far and probably more at elevation.
Tug Hill could get 9-17" tonight and tomorrow, I think I feel a cold coming on.:wink: Had about 3" of super fluffy snow in Binghamton this morning. Heading up to Greek Peak after work, should be pretty decent. They opened their new lift on Christmas Eve, yay!

4aprice

12z GFS colder today, shows a pretty decent storm with L off NJ in this pic.

And I'm inclined to believe it because this image shows the Poconos getting screwed in the worst way imaginable, so it's probably true!

8yug.png

Looks like the Pocono's would be on the cusp. Seen it plenty of times where the rain/snow line hovers right around the curve on 80 by the entrance to Camelback. Maybe they get rain but I have a hunch it maybe snow at CBK. Snow guns are pounding away and they should 95%+ open by the weekend.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

steamboat1

Looks like the Pocono's would be on the cusp. Seen it plenty of times where the rain/snow line hovers right around the curve on 80 by the entrance to Camelback. Maybe they get rain but I have a hunch it maybe snow at CBK. Snow guns are pounding away and they should 95%+ open by the weekend.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I remember visiting my BIL once who lived in Tobyhanna at the time. Down in Tannersville where Camelback is it was all rain but just 15 minutes up the road in Tobyhanna we were buried in snow. Camelback & most PA. ski areas have very little base elevation so it could be snow in places like Mt. Pocono but rain at the ski areas.

drjeff

In all honesty Scotty, Magic on Saturday wouldn't be a good call at all. It snowed maybe 2-3" at Mount Snow yesterday, I'm guessing that Magic got about the same amount. That's essentially all the natural snow they have. They've got a run or 2 of snowmaking terrain open and that's it. This storm, if it pans out isn't supposed to hit until Sunday

Also, FYI, as I was headed back home to CT from VT last night, it appeared that the holiday masses were finally arriving! :eek: While yesterday wasn't very crowded, at least at Mount Snow (maybe 5 minute lines for the Bluebird, and about 25% of the condo's in my complex occupied yesterday AM {that numbered swelled to between 1/2 to 2/3rds as I was leaving about 4PM and wouldn't surprise me if it was between 2/3rds and 3/4ths when I get back up there tonight}) So get ready for basically whereever you go to have some significant holiday lines, so finding a place with more trails to spread the masses over is a good call!

xwhaler

I'm going to be at Dartmouth Skiway on Sunday and Magic on Monday.....really hope they get some good love from Ma Nature on Sunday night.

ScottySkis

In all honesty Scotty, Magic on Saturday wouldn't be a good call at all. It snowed maybe 2-3" at Mount Snow yesterday, I'm guessing that Magic got about the same amount. That's essentially all the natural snow they have. They've got a run or 2 of snowmaking terrain open and that's it. This storm, if it pans out isn't supposed to hit until Sunday

Thanks Dr. Jeff. I thinking of Gore on Saturday now then head up to North Vermont, or maybe Catamont.

Savemeasammy

Unfortunately, it looks like the big-budget ski areas are probably the ones to be at this week/end. The smaller budget places really got hosed by mother nature!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Unfortunately, it looks like the big-budget ski areas are probably the ones to be at this week/end. The smaller budget places really got hosed by mother nature!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am looking at doing a ski multi-day Maine ski safari to local/community ski area. It will probably be sometime between Jan 2 and 5, depending on when the areas are open. Will probably hit more than one per day. The conditions look very good; they've been seeing good temps, even though they picked up a little rain. This might be the perfect time to avoid the rates of the big mountains and load up my ski hat further. If anyone is interested in joining me / sharing gas and lodging expense, do let me know.
http://skimaine.com/ski-areas/

4aprice

I am looking at doing a ski multi-day Maine ski safari to local/community ski area. It will probably be sometime between Jan 2 and 5, depending on when the areas are open. Will probably hit more than one per day. The conditions look very good; they've been seeing good temps, even though they picked up a little rain. This might be the perfect time to avoid the rates of the big mountains and load up my ski hat further. If anyone is interested in joining me / sharing gas and lodging expense, do let me know.
http://skimaine.com/ski-areas/

Sounds like a interesting trip. Bundle up as what I hear there is some very cold weather in the pipeline. (x10 in Maine)

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ