• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

January 2nd - 3rd storm

KD7000

If it's a big storm they will usually wait to ruin everything until the evening groom.....how nice!
I thoroughly enjoyed that last big storm we got, where it appeared that the mountain stayed ungroomed all day. But by the end of the day, the piles / chop /crud was ridiculous. Night skiing would have been a near-disaster.

wa-loaf

Don't they groom all of their powder :lol:

They let it slide sometimes. Old growth Forrest means no trees skiing ... though I don't think 12inches of light pow would be that much fun in bare woods right now anyway ...

MadMadWorld

They let it slide sometimes. Old growth Forrest means no trees skiing ... though I don't think 12inches of light pow would be that much fun in bare woods right now anyway ...

Actually it just means don't get caught to most people. Some idiot will probably try and ski the Pine Hill Trail this weekend.

BenedictGomez

12z Euro finished running. Precip output hot-off-the-presses looks VERY similar to 12z GFS.

Remember 15:1 due to cold. Maybe more if we're lucky.

EUREpcp.jpg

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Looks like the jackpot is going to be the Berkshires and Catskills.

1545546_768383209842057_1428315382_n.png

About the other storm: Eastward trend has begun:thumbup:

GFS turned it into a 36 degree rainer rather than a 50 degree rainer. Good trend

Last edited:

SnowRock

How sharp a cutoff are we looking at for the north? We are visiting friends near gunstock tonight and supposed to head to stowe early Thursday. Wondering if we should stick down here Thursday and then head up to vt

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Too late, I looked at the models for Friday through Monday and immediately jumped out the window. Luckily it is a one story building. It still hurt a little bit since we only have 3 inches of hardpack on the ground right now.
You guys got skunked. Well, at least you're in the same club as JP, Stowe, etc. Not that I like the thought :(

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I'll just throw out some other charts, which really illustrate that there is not a forecast agreement yet.

pcpday3.gif

This is a computer forecast of precipitation that will fall during the 12 hour period from 7 AM EST through 7 PM EST for one day before the date indicated at the bottom of the map. This is normally the day after tomorrow. Amounts include liquid forms plus the water equivalent (melted amount) of any solid forms. Precipitation is contoured in steps starting with .01 inch, then .10 inch, .25 inch, .50 inch, .75, 1.0 inch and in steps of one inch after that. Areas shown in black have less than .01 inch (usually none) forecast.

GFS:
gfs_namer_072_precip_p60.gif

I <Heart> NAM:

nam_namer_072_precip_ptot.gif

95ewbg.gif

99fndfd.gif

ScottySkis

We've really got to do something about all these southern new england storms. Even snow haters agree that the snow should be in the mountains ;)

We have mountains in south New England to. I hope all of New England gets the snow, but it killing me knowing now that my favorite hill has 7 trails but with this storm if it hits they be rocking and 100 % open with the glades that I see. Also first year I only 65 miles away so as much as I love bigger hills of Vermont I love waking up at 6 being in Roxury by 8 skiing great snow driving home easily eat dinner at home and repeat for Sunday and spend less then 100$ for tickets and gas that my perfect ski day.