• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

January 2nd - 3rd storm

catsup948

I still think higher summits in the Berks and southern greens will do well from prolonged light to moderate snow through the day Friday even with the bone dry cold.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

BenedictGomez

Brilliant! now TWC (right or wrong) has me wound up.

map_specnewsdct-31_ltst_4namus_enus_320x180.jpg

I called for a 6" minimum for an anti-work day. Exhaustion might be a good reason!

Looks pretty much like the models, except they're bringing heavy snowfall way higher into NY and VT than the models indicate. I'm guessing they think this hugs the coast more than the models indicate.

MadMadWorld

Brilliant! now TWC (right or wrong) has me wound up.

map_specnewsdct-31_ltst_4namus_enus_320x180.jpg

I called for a 6" minimum for an anti-work day. Exhaustion might be a good reason!

How the hell do they come up with those 12-18 in spots.....it's like they are just throwing darts at a map....oh wait

ScottySkis

Looks pretty much like the models, except they're bringing heavy snowfall way higher into NY and VT than the models indicate. I'm guessing they think this hugs the coast more than the models indicate.

If Platty gets a foot plus will I see you their this weekend?

Cornhead

1388527501523.jpg
Oops, didn't get permission to use, hope I don't get sued. Not a fan of TWC naming/hyping every little storm that rolls through. They'll be back to the beginning of the alphabet before the season's done...I hope.;)

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

If Platty gets a foot plus will I see you their this weekend?

Unsure now.
I've been monitoring this system for over a week now and Platty was the obvious choice for Saturday

The problem?
It looks like arctic air follows this thing down to the point where we might be talking record-breaking cold temperatures sometime in the Friday to Sunday timeframe. Dont get me wrong, I'll ski in cold, but I'm not skiing in ambient -3 with a 15mph wind. Gonna wait until Friday when we have a much better read on the temps to pull the trigger or not.

Savemeasammy

How the hell do they come up with those 12-18 in spots.....it's like they are just throwing darts at a map....oh wait

This looks like a meager attempt to pinpoint areas with elevation to me...

TWC: please... Stop with the stupid practice of naming snow storms. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, the 18"+ crowd on the ensembles has emerged for SE MA. Lets see some more consistency and shove it a little north...

So much for the doom and gloom, I'm excited again!

I'll bet a low 3-5 as an average for all of ski country and hope to get pleasantly surprised. Not 100% sold on 6+ inches north of Manchester.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

So much for the doom and gloom, I'm excited again!

I'll bet a low 3-5 as an average for all of ski country
and hope to get pleasantly surprised. Not 100% sold on 6+ inches north of Manchester.

Well, sure, but given the ridiculous potential that seemed to be here for a MECS it's disappointing I think. I'm still holding out hopes the models are confused by all the simultaneous variables at work here and it digs more than they're expecting.

MadMadWorld

This looks like a meager attempt to pinpoint areas with elevation to me...

TWC: please... Stop with the stupid practice of naming snow storms. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe but the Berkshires and Worcester hills aren't exactly one in the same.

On a side note, Hercules! Hercules! Hercules!

GEFS (not the GFS) producing big hits for Boston into CNE. Early hints at a strong comma head hit.

Last edited:

Bene288

What's the time frame for this thing? Is it an all day Thursday with cleanup by Friday morning or Thursday night into Friday?

BenedictGomez

18z GFS emsembles are better with the pcp than the op, looks like a solid 7.5" to 11" for Cats, Berk, S.VT, and s.NH (are there any ski areas in way south NH?). Good news for sure.

EDIT: The 8th member curls into NJ and basically explodes. I'll take that one!

What's the time frame for this thing? Is it an all day Thursday with cleanup by Friday morning or Thursday night into Friday?

It's changed a bit over the last few days and seems more like a Thursday night into Friday thing now.

Last edited:

MadMadWorld

18z GFS emsembles are better with the pcp than the op, looks like a solid 7.5" to 11" for Cats, Berk, S.VT, and s.NH (are there any ski areas in way south NH?). Good news for sure.

EDIT: The 8th member curls into NJ and basically explodes. I'll take that one!

It's changed a bit over the last few days and seems more like a Thursday night into Friday thing now.

Crotched and Pat's are probably the furthest south I believe.

jaysunn

I'm feeling sick on Friday. Thanks bg and bbd for these models. Pretty cool imagery.

Edit: also thanks to everyone else in this thread. Helping me decide Friday.

MadMadWorld

I may have friday off….wouldnt want to Drive into work in Such BAD conditions….so Im torn between hitting WaWa or Crotched…..

Haha I can sympathize with that. I'm considered essential personnel so it's hit or miss for me. In a snow storm I wait by the phone hoping I get the phone call to stay home. I'm hoping it's that way on Friday

Quietman

For everyone thinking of skiing on Friday, it's going to be wicked cold. Here is the current forecast for Killington:

jan03
Snow Showers
Snw Shwrs
-9°-18°

High temp of -9, low of -18, with 15mph winds. Just food for thought.... Even Crotched will be have high of 4, low of -12.

JDMRoma

Crotched it is !! I really don't care about Cold….if its Powder Im gonna be there !!
Just fooling around, but I will still go..even if I need to take many breaks :)