• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

January 2nd - 3rd storm

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Think for yourself! Boot heaters and hand warmers will be your friends that day! i skied once at Stowe when it was -35 without a windchill. Nice skiing, just had to warmup a little more often!
I love skiing in the cold. No lift lines, lots of fresh tracks all day, lifties too cold to check your ticket, trails to yourself. All that motion keeps me warm. That and a box of toe warmers. The only downside is no seats in the lodge and the hot cocoa machine is empty ;)

We must keep this in perspective:
0° F: All the people in Miami die. New Englanders close the windows.
10° below zero: Californians fly away to Mexico. The Girl Scouts in New England are selling cookies door to door.
25° below zero: Hollywood disintegrates. People in New England get out their winter coats.
40° below zero: Washington DC runs out of hot air. People in New England let the dogs sleep indoors.

It's really true about the Girl Scouts! :)

BenedictGomez

I think you missed your calling in meteorology!

Too frustrating for me. I love science and have my undergraduate in it, but I prefer exact sciences. Working in a science where even 24 hours out you really cant pinpoint what's going to happen would bother/torture the **** out of me.

Think for yourself! Boot heaters and hand warmers will be your friends that day! i skied once at Stowe when it was -35 without a windchill. Nice skiing, just had to warmup a little more often!

I love skiing in the cold. No lift lines, lots of fresh tracks all day
, lifties too cold to check your ticket, trails to yourself. All that motion keeps me warm.

Folks, we're talking possible RECORD cold here for some areas. Screw that. FYI, coldest I've ever been was Killington peak circa 1993. Ambient temperature was -7, but with windchill it was -60. Positively BRUTAL. Any bit of skin not covered was in trouble. I hope I'm wrong, but I think Saturday is going to have bigtime negative numbers with windchill.

BenedictGomez

12z Euro is out. Looks better than the last one, so again trend is friend here.

I think it's a bit north like the Canuck, but I could be wrong. Not as juicy as some models, but still delivers solid snowfall for entire northeast.

Poconos gets screwed with only about 4.5 inches on this run so maybe it's correct (sarcasm).

1498957_10152150700973352_640105622_o.png

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Folks, we're talking possible RECORD cold here for some areas. Screw that. FYI, coldest I've ever been was Killington peak circa 1993. Ambient temperature was -7, but with windchill it was -60. Positively BRUTAL. Any bit of skin not covered was in trouble. I hope I'm wrong, but I think Saturday is going to have bigtime negative numbers with windchill.
My all time record was minus 30 ambient warming to minus five ambient in the afternoon. Saddleback, January, 1981. No need to ski the highest windswept peaks where liftholds will predominate. Plenty of attractive New England slopes which offer protection and a great day of skiing. I have no axe to grind - I don't ski unless I get to the bottom with a smile on my face and neither should you! (BTW, I won't save you any pow! ;)

MadMadWorld

My all time record was minus 30 ambient warming to minus five ambient in the afternoon. Saddleback, January, 1981. No need to ski the highest windswept peaks where liftholds will predominate. Plenty of attractive New England slopes which offer protection and a great day of skiing. I have no axe to grind - I don't ski unless I get to the bottom with a smile on my face and neither should you! (BTW, I won't save you any pow! ;)

That's incredible that they were even open. No powder is worth my fingers or toes falling off.

BenedictGomez

My all time record was minus 30 ambient warming to minus five ambient in the afternoon. Saddleback, January, 1981. No need to ski the highest windswept peaks whereliftholds will predominate.

Do you remember what the windchill was or was it calm?

In terms of holds, yes, now that you mention it that day at Killington they did close some lifts, and IIRC it was because they were worried about frostbite danger rather than windhold danger. Lodge became a madhouse of humanity.

deadheadskier

Staff member

I think -32 was the coldest I experienced at Stowe. They claimed a windchill of -80 that day. I didn't own boot heaters back then and wasn't using hand warmers. Given the length of Stowe's trails we went into the lodge after every run to warm up for ten minutes or so. Only reason I was out is they had gotten 2 feet of blower they day/night prior.

steamboat1

Coldest I've skied was at Stowe also. I think the high for the day was -14, not as cold as some others mentioned but cold enough for me. We stayed on the gondi all day & they had those overhead heater lamps which warmed you up a little every ride. We stayed late & the funny thing I remember about that day was all the diesel Mecedes Benz's in the parking lot that wouldn't start at the end of the day..

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Do you remember what the windchill was or was it calm?

In terms of holds, yes, now that you mention it that day at Killington they did close some lifts, and IIRC it was because they were worried about frostbite danger rather than windhold danger. Lodge became a madhouse of humanity.

I don't remember 33 years ago! I actually don't remember much at all. It was so cold all I thought about was the actual skiing. Like you, it was a run, maybe two before a warm-up. It's days like that you wish for a non-skiing SO to have a seat by the fire and a hot drink waiting. It didn't matter. Even a lodge at 50 degrees would feel like a heat wave.

I just know that where I'm skiing the summit will be protected, the trails narrow and the lifts fixed grip.

ScottySkis

I just know that where I'm skiing the summit will be protected, the trails narrow and the lifts fixed grip.[/QUOTE]

That is a perfect description of Platty.:)

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
12z Euro is out. Looks better than the last one, so again trend is friend here.

I think it's a bit north like the Canuck, but I could be wrong. Not as juicy as some models, but still delivers solid snowfall for entire northeast.

Poconos gets screwed with only about 4.5 inches on this run so maybe it's correct (sarcasm).

1498957_10152150700973352_640105622_o.png

Keep in mind that all these models are 10:1 ratio, and everything I'm reading says it's going to be much higher, maybe even greater than 20:1.

BenedictGomez

Keep in mind that all these models are 10:1 ratio, and everything I'm reading says it's going to be much higher, maybe even greater than 20:1.

For the 4.5 inches on that map I was using 15:1

20:1 is possible, but you'd have to take the "under" if you're a betting man given how relatively rare that is, but definitely possible for some areas given the cold air. Greater than 20:1? I heard that too, but I think those people are mostly hypers. And in western NJ, we're in danger or getting the dreaded dry slot for a bit too, hope that doesnt happen :cry:

BenedictGomez

This was released at 3pm, not 10:30am, so after the 12z runs. Good bit of detail here and good snow for all of ski country so lets hope it verifies.

1503967_627149483998980_671497933_n.jpg