• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

January 6th Inland Runner

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
The elevations will provide a modest mitigation. Still rain, but nearly as much or for as long. There will be snow both before and after the rain. Stupid temperature inversion will come into play again which might neutralize the elevation effect, but we won't know until the fat lady dances.

4aprice

Hate to tell you but the long range has the same crap for the beginning of next week. I hope it's wrong for everyones sake.

I'm expecting a relaxation of the cold at some point. A January thaw so to speak. Never seen a wire to wire winter. I'm still on board that we will reap rewards in February and March. That is when the NAO usually goes negative (it really hasn't been negative except for short periods so far). A short break won't alarm me.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

steamboat1

Nam12 bufkit profiles over the lakes show an extended period of
strong omega forecast within the bands lasting 24 to 36 hours. Snow
accumulation forecasts were more subjective based on experience than
upon any particular model or blend of models. Overall we expect 2 to
3 inch per hour snowfall rates off the lake ontario band and 1 to 2
inch per hour rates off the lake erie band through monday night and
much of tuesday. The duration of these extreme snow rates will yield
the expected several feet of snow east of both lakes. A max of
around 36 inches would be possible just south of buffalo from the
lake erie snow band through the event and possibly over 5 or 6 feet
across the tug hill
from the lake ontario band. The additional uplift
from the tug hill and more steady orientation of the lake ontario
band is reasoning for such high snow totals east of lake ontario.
The lake erie band looks to shift a bit more so snow totals where
cut some due to this factor. There will be very tight snowfall
gradients on both band from the center to the outer edges which is
typical for lake effect snow but may be especially noticeable across
metro buffalo.

Edd

Yikes. It is raining hard in the seacoast NH area right now. I do not like the sound of rain on the roof in January.

JDMRoma

Yikes. It is raining hard in the seacoast NH area right now. I do not like the sound of rain on the roof in January.
Im in westwood mass....raining and very foggy........totally sucks !

ScottySkis

Ice on my road in south Sullivan county NY mountains road ice not fun glad for people who got out over the weekend

bzrperfspec77

Holy Inversion where I'm at (Berkshires). Coming off where I live at ~1300' the temp was at 48° (6:00am) then driving east it drops into the valley of my town and it was 33°. Mind you this is in my truck but it was a noticeable change!

ScottySkis

Ice by my home this morning in Shawgunks mountain ranges NY. I think this storm will do ok and keep base intact hopefully another snow comes soon to east coast. Weather is freaky today, drove black ice yesterday after Sun down, saw light rain and temperature was 40 s at 2 am in elevation of about 800 feet high. When I leave mountain road to highway were I live is full of ice snow slow driving. Get to bus station in valley 500 feet elevation I guess warm 49 at 6 am and light rain. Hopefully everyone careful driving today black ice is out there.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Milton, VT = 50 degrees
Milton, FL = 31 degrees

:-?

And the Fairbanks museum is hinting at a January thaw for next weekend. :puke:

I'm going skiing tomorrow anyway. Ice be damned! It will be day #1 of the year for me.

fbrissette

The elevations will provide a modest mitigation.

Pouring rain at the base of Jay Peak. Actually starting to see the ground around trees. This stupid weather will do more damage than anticipated.

This, coupled to the fact that I'm heading home to work, really depresses me.

Warp Daddy

47 degrees, raining , high winds till 7 pm today , then snow . Snow ridge and Mc Cauley are in the bullseye :thumbup: So. Jeff county /Lewis county projected to get up to FIVE feet ........Thanks Lake Ontario :cool:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Time for a trip out west. Think a pile of 500 disgruntled easterners could put together a dirt cheap trip to Alta or somewhere, anywhere? A gym with cots (probably lots of spares at the Red Cross right now), PBJ for breakfast, lunch, dinner? Group ticket rates? 737 charter, luggage included?

Snow fog on the drive all the way in. It was rising like steam from a boiling pot. :(
It was also colder in my garage than outside. Oh, I can't wait for all this black ice tonight!

Bostonian

It's just depressing, Saturday was a great day out on the snow and now it's 55???!? in downtown boston outside my office? It's like one step foward and two steps back this winter so far :(

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
You've got to be kidding me. 58F now. Spring skiing, for a couple more hours, then

frozenwaterfall.jpg

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Pushing 50 when I woke up this morning, temp has been dropping all day, now it's barely snowing on our way to right around 0 degrees. Tomorrow is going to be a fun commute.

dmw

Rain all morning, snowing now in Stowe. Gondola was on wind hold, decided to bail on riding today. Gondola started running as I left. Wishful thinking that by Wednesday it might be not too horrible.