• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

January 2, 2014 Storm Observations

drjeff

My office shut down at 1pm today and called closed tomorrow at the same time. Of course everyone can work remotely these days so it's not a day off ....

Closing highways is ridiculous. I can see a snow tire requirement though.

I actually don't have an issue with a short duration highway closure! I've got a couple of patients who drive plows for the CT DOT and they both told me that more often than not the biggest hindrance they have to getting highways cleared quickly is vehicles on the road that both prevent them from plowing both at the optimum speed and also plow formation to remove more snow quickly in say a pack of 3 or 4 trucks vs. a single truck and also it often requires them to use more salt to treat the roads (and create a wet layer underneath that is more difficult to clear) for safer travel by a few cars in a storm.

For a storm with timing like this one, I'd totally have no issue if they closed the highways from say midnight to 6AM or so. I'd bet that would get travel back to "normal" quicker for all

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

flightschool

Update from Sunday River. I was told by my inn keeper that they received 3 inches from the start today to 7 pm. I arrived at 11:50 pm and there was 2 inches in a lot that had been plowed earlier, and the snow is still coming down hard. The drive on 95 sucked, trucks passing at 55 mph in blizzard conditions leaving everyone completely blinded. It took 4.5 hours from Boston and that was playing it mildly safe. Hope everyone gets out, they are saying 20 mph winds here tomorrow, I don't think that is unbearable but we shall see.

hammer

Sun's out, driveway's clear, got around 8" or so near Nashua NH. Lots of blowing so it's hard to tell but not any more than the previous two storms.

Second phase still pretty powdery but had more moisture content.

Can't get out today but plan on going on Sunday. Powder would be nice but I'll take the packed powder leftovers. Should I give my new Motive 88s a try or stick to my Progressors?

jrmagic

Its killing me that I had to bag the rest if my vacation and come to work. My buddy is still at Magic with his family and he estimates that they got a little over a foot there.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Rte 2 / i91 to magic was pretty easy though snowpacked in places. Early morning has few vehicles on the road, and those drivers know what they are doing at 6AM, except for the one GMC mega-suv, New York Plates with an aggressive and dangerous attitude on i91. 10 minutes later the VT State Police Had him pulled over. There is a God and there is justice in this world!

By the time I hit Fitchburg the snows had stopped. By Erving the roads had been all cleaned up and sidewalks plowed. Rte 11 was snowpacked but driveable at 40-45mph.