• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

January 2, 2014 Storm Observations

Tin

Everything is covered in Providence, 1" or a little less. The sections in between lanes and the sides of 95 have snow on them. It's a super fine grain sort of snow, no flakes. I'm going to head from work early, the afternoon commute will be a sh!tshow. RI has no clue how to clear snow. All the town and state guys plow their friends' and families' driveways for extra cash instead of the roadways.

drjeff

School superintendants are dumb! Let's send the kids in on time, when the roads will be at their "worst" (and I use the term "worst" with a ton of latitude given that any person with an ounce of common sense should be able to operate a vehicle in less than an inch of snow!!), and then when the roads will be clear, and the bulk of the storm not scheduled to hit for hours, they send the kids home early!! WTF! I can totally see cancelling any evening school sports given the forecast, but early dismissal when by all accounts here in CT there will be a good 3 or 4 hours minimum from when the kids usually get home from school to when the brunt of Hercules hits??

JDMRoma

Hudson NH, Shoveled my walk way for the dogs..just about 2 inches of fluff coming down steadily

MadMadWorld

School superintendants are dumb! Let's send the kids in on time, when the roads will be at their "worst" (and I use the term "worst" with a ton of latitude given that any person with an ounce of common sense should be able to operate a vehicle in less than an inch of snow!!), and then when the roads will be clear, and the bulk of the storm not scheduled to hit for hours, they send the kids home early!! WTF! I can totally see cancelling any evening school sports given the forecast, but early dismissal when by all accounts here in CT there will be a good 3 or 4 hours minimum from when the kids usually get home from school to when the brunt of Hercules hits??

I agree it seems silly but I think the reason is more obvious......teachers and faculty wanted an extended vacation! I know I would have if I was a teacher.

Savemeasammy

I make a motion that TWC's storm names be banned from this forum. All in favor?

HEAR, HEAR!!

Note to TWC: Know when to say when. You've obviously had too much to drink, and you are embarrassing yourself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ctenidae

I make a motion that TWC's storm names be banned from this forum. All in favor?

Aye. Yet another reason to not watch any TV weather forecasts, TWC especially. I find the NWS forecast discussion sums it all up just fine, and watching TV just repeats or hyperinflates whatever's there.

1/4 inch dusting with occasional flurries in the Greenwich area. They just announced early closing for schools (agree with drjeff).

WWF-VT

My observation is that the biggest snow totals look to be in the Boston area/coasal MA vs. in the mountains where it's needed and appreciated

SnowRock

Started my morning in Laconia NH and there was a solid 2 inches of dry and fine fluff.... Was coming down steadily as we left.

Waterbury now ... More like an inch and coming down at a less impactful rate.

Judder

Bennington, VT / Rochester, VT / Sugarbush
6 inches and 6 degrees in the lowlands of Bennington County VT. Steady snow all morning. Radar shows snow confined to a band extending from the VT MA line to up around Burlington. Any reports from Berkshire County? Looks like it's barely been snowing in W Mass...

Cornhead

About 5" in Binghamton, NY. I'm anticipating an "interesting" drive to Platty tomorrow. I plan on leaving early, and taking it slow. Luckily I've had some practice driving on crappy roads in the Tug Hill region of NY this year. Good luck Scotty!

ScottySkis

About 5" in Binghamton, NY. I'm anticipating an "interesting" drive to Platty tomorrow. I plan on leaving early, and taking it slow. Luckily I've had some practice driving on crappy roads in the Tug Hill region of NY this year. Good luck Scotty!

Thanks my car will love the trip. Platty will be great migth take me 8 hours to get their. 4 inches so far in Bloomingburg.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
3 1/2"-ish here in Lexington; blower pow. Wind has picked up and temps have dropped considerably. Best news is that it was a cruiser out of Boston at 5pm today.

MadMadWorld

Anyone planning on skiing Pat's tomorrow? I am heading up there and have an extra voucher. If you are interested shoot me a message.