• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Opinions: Steamboat vs. Summit County

drjeff

1 word. Vail!
You could spend 3 days just in the Back Bowls and Blue Sky Basin alone, and never be bored. They are IMMENSE!!

My family planned on skiing around Summit County last year the week we were out since we had their Epic 7 day passes, for a variety of reasons, weather conditions and slick roads included, we ended up doing 5 days at Vail and a day and a 1/2 at Beavercreek. We easily could of done another week at Vail alone! Absolutely loved the incredible amount and variety of terrain there!!

It was about a 2hr or drive from DIA West on I-70 when I did it last year (agree with the sentiments that it can be a little sketchy/nerve wracking in bad weather) and you're about 30 min past Breck and the masses that go there

Kerovick

There is a airport in Steamboat Springs that has connecting flights from Denver. We are going to Steamboat next year and that is what we are doing. I' looking forward to that flight!

jimk

No choice is wrong, but if you want to keep it simple and fairly affordable and get the town experience you are talking about check out the Frisco Lodge or a place near it. That street has a lot of walkable restaurants/shops and free Summit Stage bus stops every few blocks. Or there are tons of condos around there if that fits your group better. From Frisco you could ski Copper three days using liftopia for around $200 or other deal you find. Then hit Loveland on last day back towards airport for about $50 from liftopia. A-Basin is another moderately priced outstanding nearby venue for a day or two. If weather forecast is benign just before your dates you could probably get away with a cheap rental car instead of SUV. You can use Summit Stage around Frisco and if you stick to Denver-Frisco you'll be on interstate the whole time and Eisenhower tunnel is only high stretch of road you have to drive to/from airport. Copper shots from 2012:
coppermtn014.jpg
coppermtn015.jpg
coppermtn020.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
The skiing at Vail is pretty awesome. I didn't like the "resort" at all though. Right on the highway and way too Disney and unauthentic to me. There are obviously great bars and restaurants and plenty of off hill stuff to do, I just didn't like the "feel" to the place. Too plastic

Smellytele

The skiing at Vail is pretty awesome. I didn't like the "resort" at all though. Right on the highway and way too Disney and unauthentic to me. There are obviously great bars and restaurants and plenty of off hill stuff to do, I just didn't like the "feel" to the place. Too plastic

I am with you on that. I didn't really like the front side trails of Vail either but the backside was incredible.

slatham

Not sure if someone mentioned this but if you arrive at Denver at 10am you can ski that afternoon at Loveland, A-Basin or even Keystone (I did this a few years ago). If you have a 5:30pm flight, you can ski the morning at the same areas and make the flight. So Summit County can turn 3 days into 3 plus 2 half days.

If you disregard travel time, for me it comes down to whether you want to ski just one area, or get some variety? If you want to plant yourself at one area, I'd go to Steamboat. If you want the variety, Summit County is the palce (and don't forget that Vail is an option too if in Summit County). Other than Breck I've skied all the above.

But given your flights, I'd squeeze out the 2 additonal 1/2 days and hit Summit County!

Edd

In the last 24 hours:

Steamboat 13" (182.75 mid-mountain for the season. 193.5 at the summit)
Copper 4" (138.0 for the season)
A-Basin 3" (Don't see a year total)
Vail 6" (141 for the season)
Loveland 4.5" (155 for the season)

Hmmm..

JDMRoma

In the last 24 hours:

Steamboat 13" (182.75 mid-mountain for the season. 193.5 at the summit)
Copper 4" (138.0 for the season)
A-Basin 3" (Don't see a year total)
Vail 6" (141 for the season)
Loveland 4.5" (155 for the season)

Hmmm..

Yep Steamboat is still getting Hammered, have been all season. They are a safe bet for great conditions….in my opinion :) You'd be hard pressed to get me to leave there though with our lovely New England Weather right now !

Edd

It's decided. Summit county. We reserved lodging in downtown Frisco. Thanks for the advice everyone.

soulseller

It's decided. Summit county. We reserved lodging in downtown Frisco. Thanks for the advice everyone.

When are you heading out?

We are leaving Friday night, staying in Breck, We are most likely skiing 3 out of the following 4, Breck, Vail, Copper, or Keystone.

Looking forward to watching the Pats v. Broncos game Sunday...

Edd

When are you heading out?

We are leaving Friday night, staying in Breck, We are most likely skiing 3 out of the following 4, Breck, Vail, Copper, or Keystone.

Looking forward to watching the Pats v. Broncos game Sunday...

Arriving next Monday morning. Looks like no fresh pow for us but they look to be in great shape. God, I want to leave now.

jimk

You're going to have a great time. Colorado's got the snow this January. Just pace yourself and go easy on booze first night/toughest steeps first day. Carry a bottle of water and sip/refill during your ski days. I am sensitive and have used Diamox with some success for altitude. If you decide to squeeze in a half day somewhere, I'd recommend last day rather than first. Use first day to acclimatize and last day you'll be less winded. The easiest places to get to from Frisco are Copper and Keystone, then A-Basin and Breck. Loveland is right on I70 back towards Denver. WP is great, but there's a potentially challenging mtn pass between it and I70 if snowy weather. Post some pics after trip!
Loveland 1/2/14:
Copy of Copy of DSCN1137.jpg
PS: even though I live 500 miles to the south I spent a week every summer in the 1960s at Hampton Beach because my folks came from Boston area. Loved Hampton like I love old school ski areas.

Last edited:

skiNEwhere

WP is great, but there's a potentially challenging mtn pass between it and I70 if snowy weather.

Yes there is. Yesterday it (US40) was closed for 4 hours because an avalanche wiped it out.

gregnye

Definetly hit Vail, Copper and Breck (make sure their is low wind for the Breck day!!!) and maybe throw in an A-basin. I wouldn't do Keystone---I mean its a good mountain, but it doesn't have much accessible High alpine areas or bowls--which is my reason for going out west idk about you. I still enjoyed skiing there though! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

skiNEwhere

Breck can be pretty bad with winds. I went there earlier this year and the guy in the gondola was telling me just the day before the winds were so bad they knocked over a tree directly onto the haul rope of the breck connect

Edd

Are there any toll roads between DIA and Frisco? I'm reading DIA car rental company reviews and there's alot of chatter about transponder rip-offs. Something like the rental companies want you to pay an upfront fee or there's a much larger fee if the transponder pings at all during your trip.

I guess I've never hit a toll booth with a rental car because this is new to me.

Last edited:

snoseek

Are there any toll roads between DIA and Frisco? I'm reading car rental company reviews and there's alot of chatter about transponder rip-offs. Something like the rental companies want you to pay an upfront fee or there's a much larger fee if the transponder pings at all during your trip.

I guess I've never hit a toll booth with a rental car because this is new to me.
Just stay off of 470 and there's no tolls. You have no reason to take that road anyhow. Pena to I-70 and you're done.

soposkier

Definetly hit Vail, Copper and Breck (make sure their is low wind for the Breck day!!!) and maybe throw in an A-basin. I wouldn't do Keystone---I mean its a good mountain, but it doesn't have much accessible High alpine areas or bowls--which is my reason for going out west idk about you. I still enjoyed skiing there though! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought keystone was pretty good for access to alpine bowls. Hike from the top of outback and drop in wherever your lungs give out. It's definitely not like Breck, but still has the access. Vail back bowls are freakin amazing, but they aren't 'high alpine'. I'd it hit Breck midweek and get atleast one day at vail at a minimum. Do abasin if you get a chance, Pali is legit. Bottom line, if conditions are equal everywhere you can't go wrong.

skiNEwhere

Just stay off of 470 and there's no tolls. You have no reason to take that road anyhow. Pena to I-70 and you're done.

Just to clarify, and make things more confusing you want to stay off E470, not C470. I never have had to take E470 but my co-workers state that it costs $31 to ride the entire thing. C470 is free though. Both of those route combined form a 3/4's loop around Denver though, so you shouldn't need to get on either of them. A toll lane is being added on I-70 eastbound but that's not until 2015, so you'll be good on tolls the entire trip.

I was at Breck on Wesnesday (1/16) and it really wasn't that good. Very windy, and somewhay icy (not icy by eastcoast standards though)