• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pats Peak 01/04/2014

dlague

Pats Peak

Conditions: Nice PP

Trip Report:

Well it was the first tour stop for Ride and Ski and it was going to be a cold one! Some friends of ours thought the day was going to be too cold to ski and bagged it for the day (whimps). We generally do not hold back due to cold temps, that is what layers are for, right?

When we got there it was -5 at around 9 ish but the temps were going to get up to near twenty which is a perfect temp. Our thoughts were two fold to start out the day: 1) Check out the new terrain and 2) ski where the sun is. So, we got on the Summit double and headed over to Cascade Basin. We skied about 6 runs over there and had about as much fun as you could with what they had. The vertical on that part of Pats is not very high approximately 500ft, at first glance, and the trails are really all beginner level runs (not steep at all). We laughed a couple of times at the areas they had designated as black diamond (one a small glade area and the second a quick drop). I know – trail ratings are relative to the resort! It was a fun little area and it does get a lot of sun so it worked for us. Then we headed back for something a little more interesting. The Crosswind trail is tough because it is flat (poor snowboarders stalling everywhere). We skied down to the Hurricane Triple and ended up taking a run down Cyclone which had great cover with small powder like bumps. After that, it was time for a beverage – nothing like a Harpoon IPA on an ice cold day (12 o’clock somewhere) to warm the toes!

Not to continue the play by play at Pats, but we pretty much lapped the rest of the day on Cyclone, Tornado, FIS and Twister from the Vortex Double which seems like the fastest way up. I had contemplated Hurricane but it looked like the back sides of the bumps were pretty scrapped off. I tore my ACL a couples years ago and I have been a little hesitant on mogul skiing. I need to get back on that horse! However, of the four we did ski, they were really nice and conditions overall were fantastic. We did take a couple of runs back on the Cascade Basin with our nephew and another run down Turbulence to watch our kids launch themselves – I just went for the smaller kickers.

Few highlights – We got to ski with some of our Ride and Ski friends. I had an opportunity to meet one of our friends from here on AZ – Savemeasammy. I took a couple of runs with him and his son, who certainly has no fear. Thanks Savemeasammy! And lastly, listening to The Dusty Gray Band during the Ride and Ski après ski party was cool too!

Thanks Ride and Ski!

Savemeasammy

It was good to finally catch up with you. We will have to meet up again at some point - I enjoy meeting other AZers! I'm glad you enjoyed the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk