• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weather 1/11 and beyond

BenedictGomez

My annual pilgrimage to lake placid on mlk weekend looking as usual. Ice rink after the January thaw, arrrgh.

Me too, this will be my 3rd MLK in a row there. It's the only ski trip I ever make in advance of weater predictions, largely because my gf and I love Lake Placid and even if the skiing stinks we'll have fun.

Last year wasnt bad, the year before was a skating rink. This year isnt looking great, but there may be a few days ahead of the weekend that could help recovery efforts.

Glenn

May try to get out Saturday AM. Hoping to dodge some raindrops. We want to get out Sunday too. But who knows what'll be left...or how many rivers will still be running down the hill.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Hey if you have to be somewhere skiing this weekend Stowe should be the place. Pretty sure they have more terrain open than anyone else in VT.
1-2 inches last night. Saturday morning could be the best time. Get an early start! Quad spins at 7:30

You'll be at $towe on Saturday? I'll be at Bush on Friday and $teaux on Saturday until it gets soggy. Sunday will be a game-day decision - either Stowe or go drinking.

yeggous

You'll be at $towe on Saturday? I'll be at Bush on Friday and $teaux on Saturday until it gets soggy. Sunday will be a game-day decision - either Stowe or go drinking.

One of the EICSL clubs has a trip to $teaux this weekend, and there is another next weekend. I am tagging along unofficially this week since I have Ski VT 5-pack tix to use. Thinking about where to ski each day based on the forecast.

Next weekend am thinking about QBurke on Saturqay with my Ski VT passes, and Jay on Sunday and Monday with my season pass.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Here's more bad news from the NWS, yesterday:

While it's been a cold start to the winter, it has not necessarily been snowy across Northern Vermont. An abundance of rain and ice storms has kept snow depth down. In fact, the 4pm snow depth on top of Mount Mansfield today was 23". This is the 8th lowest on record for the site on January 8th since records began in 1954. The Lowest was 10" in 1983 and highest was 96" in 1969. The average is 40".

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
To help visualize that and to add more insults...

That 10” in 1983 was at least on the upswing by this point and was actually deeper by January 12[SUP]th[/SUP] or so.
January of 1980 was also bad (for those old enough to remember the Winter Olympics in Lake Placid know what I mean).

That 1980 January was bad but with the upcoming weeklong+ thaw I’m thinking we may end up looking closer to the January of 1956.

lerops

To help visualize that and to add more insults...

That 10” in 1983 was at least on the upswing by this point and was actually deeper by January 12[SUP]th[/SUP] or so.
January of 1980 was also bad (for those old enough to remember the Winter Olympics in Lake Placid know what I mean).

That 1980 January was bad but with the upcoming weeklong+ thaw I’m thinking we may end up looking closer to the January of 1956.

Thanks. If it does look like 1956, I hope we catch the same three subsequent feet+ dumps!

These are cool charts, where do you get the data from (I assume you do the charts yourself)?

Wavewheeler

This all sucks. If that rain thats forecast for Saturday was snow I'd be jumping for joy.

Why couldn't it have just STAYED cold? :( That's why I hate January...with it's highly variable weather and stupid "January Thaw". :( But my daughter has winter break in January and I promised her a ski trip. Two years ago Vermont didn't have any natural snow and we skied man made and it wasn't that bad so I'm hoping that after the weekend things will begin to recover.

The plan is to drive up Monday and ski Tues-Wed-Thurs but I'm not ruling out Friday.

Sure hope things get better in February.

Wavewheeler

I'm hoping that Killington, in an effort to encourage people to come for MLK weekend, will crank up the snow guns the week before. Sure hope the weather is cold enough!

I told my daughter, "Well, if the snow is all gone we can go to Ben and Jerry's."

I looked at heading further north but all of New England is forecast to be warm and wet this weekend. What will be left by Monday????

ScottySkis

Hopefully some people on here are skiing or snowboarding today. Were I live some very very light snow has fallen about 3 inches in NY mid Hudson Valley I bet the Catskills and other hills will be excellent today so please enjoy before the weekend mess.

JDMRoma

Had no idea it was going to snow today, wife just texted me and I was like shit.........should have gone skiing !
It come to that drastic measure this season when only in inch makes you want to get it before the next meltdown.
Now are they saying the @ain will hold off till after noon tomorrow ? or is it starting in the morning and Im talking about Northern NH
Bretton Woods or Cannon.........

drjeff

Had no idea it was going to snow today, wife just texted me and I was like shit.........should have gone skiing !
It come to that drastic measure this season when only in inch makes you want to get it before the next meltdown.
Now are they saying the @ain will hold off till after noon tomorrow ? or is it starting in the morning and Im talking about Northern NH
Bretton Woods or Cannon.........

The multiple meteorologists I was watching as I was on the treadmill this morning seemed to be in agreement that while the daylight hours tomorrow might not be 100% dry(some occasional light, scattered showers might occur), by far and away the heavy rain won't be arriving across the bulk of ski country until about last chair time. Then pour for about 12hrs or so and be essentially gone for the majority of ski country by 1st chair Sunday AM.

So unless you're planning on going night skiing Saturday night, or have tickets for the Patriots playoff game Saturday night (glad I gave mine away looking at the forecast!!!!) Saturday and Sunday *should* offer some dry weather with some pleasant temps

xwhaler

What do folks think snow conditions will be like on Sunday? Weather now looks fine but are we talking about wet packed frozen stuff that is hard to groom? Or given the warm up on Sunday do we think Sunday could be nice spring skiing in Mid January? Sunny skies forecasted----trying to figure out if it's worth my effort.
Am considering Shawnee Peak or Ragged.