• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weather 1/11 and beyond

Wavewheeler

Unfortunately the weather for Tuesday isn't looking too good. I'm seeing 50% chance of rain for Killington and wondering if I should just hold off and ski Wed, Thursday and Friday, which look colder.

yeggous

Crotched is in great shape tonight for midnight madness. They still have a solid base in the glades. Hopefully is survives the next few days.

catsup948

Thursday storm is on and off the gfs. Yesterday it was big snows for interior new england now it's gonr.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

xwhaler

Bagging tomorrow as it seems it won't get warm enough quickly to turn the frozen wet slush into awesome spring slush

Sent from my VS980 4G using AlpineZone mobile app

Wavewheeler

Thursday storm is on and off the gfs. Yesterday it was big snows for interior new england now it's gone.

:( I'm not seeing any precip for Thursday in the forecast but the threat of warmer and rainy for Tues followed by dry and cold for the rest of the week is making me think Wed-Thurs-Friday are the days to ski. At this point, if its NOT raining I'm happy.

I so hate rain!

catsup948

I just want Sugarloaf to get snow so I can finally explore Brackett basin and burnt mountain at the AZ summit!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

fbrissette

It's been pouring for three hours with a couple more to go. There will be no natural snow left by Tuesday. And that's at 2000 feet elevation base of Jay Peak. I feel sick.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Bagging tomorrow as it seems it won't get warm enough quickly to turn the frozen wet slush into awesome spring slush

Sent from my VS980 4G using AlpineZone mobile app
IMO, All plans for tomorrow should be bagged based on what I saw today, from No. VT all the way down to Boston. Trees are ice covered on i89 the entire length in NH.

Wavewheeler

It's been pouring for three hours with a couple more to go. There will be no natural snow left by Tuesday. And that's at 2000 feet elevation base of Jay Peak. I feel sick.

Damn..get to go up to Vermont and see nothing but brown. Just like 2 years ago. :thumbdown:

At this point, if it DOESN'T RAIN on Tuesday I'll be happy. Midweek looks better and it could set up to be OK next weekend for you weekend warriors.

Last edited:

yeggous

Where in southern Vermont would be best tomorrow. Since today I cancelled Stowe I still have Ski VT tickets to use. I am concerned about conditions and wind holds. In NH tomorrow will be a Bretton Woods day.

ScottySkis

Where in southern Vermont would be best tomorrow. Since today I cancelled Stowe I still have Ski VT tickets to use. I am concerned about conditions and wind holds. In NH tomorrow will be a Bretton Woods day.
Mountsnow I would think.

yeggous

I should mention that Mt Snow, Okemo, Bromley, Stratton, and Killington are on the short list.

drjeff

If your worried about wind holds tomorrow, and the forcasted winds are accurate for tomorrow, it won't be an issue, at least a Mount Snow.

They're calling for winds up to 30mph here tomorrow, it was gusting over 40, maybe even close to 50 here today and the only wind hold issue was with the Sunbrook Quad, and that was a wind direction (it was howling out of the South today which is a bad direction for that chair) not a wind velocity issue.

Tomorrow is supposed to have winds from the West and NW which at 30mph usually aren't an issue for Mount Snow's lifts

The biggest issue, given the now 16 or so hours of rain and warm temps here will be if the temps drop below freezing how much will set up? If they stay above freezing - its spring like conditions with soft snow and some thin + bare spots and ice flows on the open terrain. If it freezes up hard, its going to require a freshly tuned pair of skis with good edges!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

soposkier

If your worried about wind holds tomorrow, and the forcasted winds are accurate for tomorrow, it won't be an issue, at least a Mount Snow.

They're calling for winds up to 30mph here tomorrow, it was gusting over 40, maybe even close to 50 here today and the only wind hold issue was with the Sunbrook Quad, and that was a wind direction (it was howling out of the South today which is a bad direction for that chair) not a wind velocity issue.

Tomorrow is supposed to have winds from the West and NW which at 30mph usually aren't an issue for Mount Snow's lifts

The biggest issue, given the now 16 or so hours of rain and warm temps here will be if the temps drop below freezing how much will set up? If they stay above freezing - its spring like conditions with soft snow and some thin + bare spots and ice flows on the open terrain. If it freezes up hard, its going to require a freshly tuned pair of skis with good edges!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

Was thinking of skiing Sunday if the temps were going to stay up, but looks like it is just going to be barely above freezing for most locations, not quite warm enough to soften things up. Hope I'm wrong for those that are venturing out. Very odd snowpack so far, seems like southern New Hampshire is doing better than the north country.