• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weather 1/11 and beyond

Abominable

I'm fixin' to bail on plans to head to the Berkshires / S VT for the weekend. Depending on where I look, I'm seeing a good chance of rain both days, possibly severe. Hard to believe with the current temps.... any chance of it not pouring? Anything look good on the horizon? Anything brewing for MLK weekend?

Does anybody have any good news to share?

yeggous

The good news is that the bulk of the ---- should fall overnight Saturday into Sunday. You may be able to sneak some turns in on Saturday morning and Sunday late morning into the afternoon. Even in that case it will be slushy.

I've got a trip booked to Stowe this weekend so I am not happy either. If I cancel now I still eat one night's rate. The tickets are prepaid voucher. I tried to go in December and the same thing happened.

It looks warm for the first half of the week. Beyond that is too far to give hope.

Savemeasammy

Not that 40+ temps in January don't suck, but it could certainly soften up the snow for the weekend...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catsup948

Saturday through Tuesday will destroy whatever snow pack we have left. Pattern change after that could be good for us. Im hoping for lots of base for the AZ summit!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

xwhaler

I was thinking of going to Shawnee Peak or Ragged on Sunday......AM I better off bagging the wknd and watching football?

Sent from my VS980 4G using AlpineZone mobile app

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Other than Saturday/Sunday which are supposed to rainy and warm, the next 7 days look to be just warm (upper 30's to low 40's) during the day and just below freezing at night. Sounds like perfect spring skiing to me.
Time to tap the maple trees too I guess :???:.

Wavewheeler

I have reservations for skiing at Killington Tuesday, Wed, Thursday next week. Will there be any snow left after all the warm temps/rain over the weekend. Just figures after subzero temps all week it thaws out.. :(

Is it worth it to even come up? We live in NJ. 5 hour drive

Euler

Other than Saturday/Sunday which are supposed to rainy and warm, the next 7 days look to be just warm (upper 30's to low 40's) during the day and just below freezing at night. Sounds like perfect spring skiing to me.
Time to tap the maple trees too I guess :???:.

Would be perfect spring skiing except that there is really no base to speak of :(

gladerider

My annual pilgrimage to lake placid on mlk weekend looking as usual. Ice rink after the January thaw, arrrgh.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

gladerider

I also heard a local weather man here in nyc metro mentioning a possibility of polar vortex for that weekend. Hope it's not true

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Huck_It_Baby

I've got a trip booked to Stowe this weekend so I am not happy either.

Hey if you have to be somewhere skiing this weekend Stowe should be the place. Pretty sure they have more terrain open than anyone else in VT.

1-2 inches last night. Saturday morning could be the best time. Get an early start! Quad spins at 7:30

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
This weekend's weather could be really bad for Lyndonville, VT. Right now a previous ice jam is frozen in place on the north end of town taking up the vast majority of the river channel. Upstream rivers, cleaned out during that last jam event have refrozen and are primed to send more ice into town. There is a very thin snowpack on top of deep frozen ground. Any rain and warm we get this weekend is going to melt the little bit of snow we have and run off directly into the rivers (remember the frozen ground doesn't allow much absorption), raise the water levels breaking the new ice free and sending toward town where, as mentioned the old jam is already in place. It is not a good scenario at all. just a 1/2" of rain would be bad. 1" could be disastrous. :sad: This winter is really starting to suck.

twinplanx

That really does NOT sound good NEK. Is there any thing they could do to break up the old jam, like blast a channel or something?

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

yeggous

That really does NOT sound good NEK. Is there any thing they could do to break up the old jam, like blast a channel or something?

That's the American spirit! Have a problem? Blow it up!

twinplanx

I'm sorry. Do you have a better suggestion? I thought by creating a channel the pressure would be relieved, preventing further destruction.

JimG.

Staff member
I live near Poughkeepsie. NY and we are having ice jam issues also. Currently under flood warning.

The weather has been weird.

bigbog

Often there's not much else to move the ice...preventing flooding later on...

Agreed, looks like a wet weekend.
Knew it, as soon as I grabbed the cheap 115s for off-resort hopes, Ullr began changing his mind...

Last edited: