• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sick of fake snow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowlover

For real? I thought you might be intelligent enough to know what the windward and leeward side of mountains and ridges were. Take some initiative and look it up yourself. I'm not doing it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm totally familiar with orographic lift. What you describe would never account for that type of difference. Mansfield is a summit. The highest point in the entire green range. It's not on the leeward(dry) side. It's on TOP of EVERYTHING. It's precip is the maximum.

volcano.jpg

twinplanx

If Snowlover manages to win an AZ giveaway, I am going to be seriously disappointed. :-(

We need a little of the old AZ back around here.
Let the ban hammer Ring!!!

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

Snowlover

Also, here's a precip map of vt. It's very detailed and used for many purposes by the government. As you can clearly see, jay peak is not even on the highest area's. The long ridge with mansfield on the spine of the highest elevation of the greens is where you find maximum precipitation. Also, notice the steep drop offs due to downsloping winds in the champlain valley. Ridge lines with multiple peak, not single peaks are the key to forcing air upward.View attachment 10258

Snowlover

Now, after I posted that precip map, someone please explain to me how jay peak is averaging 375 while mansfield at a much higher elevation with higher precip amounts is averaging 220? hmmmmm A bunch of morons that can't handle when their wrong so they attack. I'm awaiting your data proving your point? Lets see anyone other than the ski area's present a 30 year climate normal for vt backing up those kind of numbers? Anything of substance other than attacks. I feel like I'm talking to a bunch of monkey's throwing shit around especially a few special douche bags that I've now ignored, but yet they keep replying. LOL

ScottySkis

If Snowlover manages to win an AZ giveaway, I am going to be seriously disappointed. :-(

We need a little of the old AZ back around here.
Let the ban hammer Ring!!!

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk
+100 I was thinking the same thing before.

MadMadWorld

Now, after I posted that precip map, someone please explain to me how jay peak is averaging 375 while mansfield at a much higher elevation with higher precip amounts is averaging 220? hmmmmm A bunch of morons that can't handle when their wrong so they attack. I'm awaiting your data proving your point? Lets see anyone other than the ski area's present a 30 year climate normal for vt backing up those kind of numbers?

Did you eat paint chips as a kid?

Savemeasammy

I'm totally familiar with orographic lift.

View attachment 10257

Wow. Where did that come from? Did I say anything about orographic lift? Look at the windward side of a ridge. It can get scoured clean. Where do you think that snow ends up?

I'm no Mansfield expert, but I think it is a reasonable possibility that snow has difficulty accumulating on the windy summit. It can get blown to the leeward side - Stowe.

Do I suspect that Stowe (and every other ski resort in the world for that matter) exaggerates their snowfall? Yes.

Snowlover

Wow. Where did that come from? Did I say anything about orographic lift? Look at the windward side of a ridge. It can get scoured clean. Where do you think that snow ends up?

I'm no Mansfield expert, but I think it is a reasonable possibility that snow has difficulty accumulating on the windy summit. It can get blown to the leeward side - Stowe.

Do I suspect that Stowe (and every other ski resort in the world for that matter) exaggerates their snowfall? Yes.

Actually the western area's match up with their nws climate sites, unlike vermont. Mt mansfield knows how to measure snow. Their one of the most reliable climate sites in the U.S. The Official Snow Stake is located high atop Mount Mansfield, Vermont's highest mountain (elevation 4393', or 1339m). Actually, the stake isn't quite at the summit: it's located a bit lower, around 3900', just off the Toll Road which leads to the summit ridge. This is not amateur hour. They know how to measure in wind and the measuring area has all tree's surrounding it. It's not an exposed cliff above the treeline where you will have problems measuring. Read a little about mansfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.