• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NY'ers take on Maine

jgart

What's the snowfall supposed to be like next weekend??

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

wa-loaf

What's the snowfall supposed to be like next weekend??

Hard to say, but they're getting a few inches tonight, something slated for Wednesday, and now hearing talk about a Saturday storm. So even if there isn't a huge dump, the skiing should be nice.

jgart

Awesome! I haven't been all season. Definitely looking forward.

jgart

Also- does anyone know a reliable ski rental shoo that's decently priced with good equipment? I have to rent gear when I get in Friday night.

SLOWSNO

jgart,

try asking in the summit thread/ or maybe the gear forums?

- since
Also- does anyone know a reliable ski rental shoo that's decently priced with good equipment? I have to rent gear when I get in Friday night.

wa-loaf

There aren't too many options there. The Mtn might have some decent rentals and I'm sure the shop up there has demos (http://www.sugarloaf.com/pricing-and-products/retail-shops), but you might want to rent locally and bring them up with you.

bigbog

Sorry, no help here, my drinking days are behind me. As was said, The Bag and Kettle is on the hill. I think there's a bar at the condos, where the welcoming party is. There's also one or two on the access road I believe.

Agree on the Bag and Rack..but another option:
Tufulios restaurant & PUB(more restaurant than snack place), ~3-5mi south from the access road(on the main road from Kingfield(#16/#27))...good food and pub stays open late(I ThInK)...

Not sure what time the SL Ski Shop stays open until....but can often find some pretty good skis to demo for the mountain.

The SL Shop in Kingfield(not sure on times) also does/did pretty good quality rentals/demos...(207) 237-6986, 237-6946...

Think both Happy Tunes and the shop in Kingfield will be a little cheaper than the SL Skishop...(my guess).

Last edited:

bigbog

Radio in Maine is sketchy, especially north of Portland...mostly Country....fwiw. BYOM...(or else the drive will Really be long).

Kingfield(as of today)...................Rangeley/Saddleback (Wed 90%..3-5")
Partly Cloudy..............................Partly Cloudy
CHANCE OF PRECIP: 0%...............CHANCE OF SNOW: 0%
WIND: W at 9 mph......................WIND: W at 10 mph

SATURDAY, 2/8
Hi 28° Low 9°
Partly Cloudy
CHANCE OF PRECIP: 10%
WIND: WNW at 6 mph

SUNDAY, 2/9
Hi 25° Low 12°
Few Snow Showers
CHANCE OF SNOW: 30%
WIND: NE at 7 mph

MONDAY, 2/10
20° Low 1°
Cloudy
CHANCE OF SNOW: 20%
WIND: NNW at 11 mph

...But the NWS satellite data never pics up the daily freshies anyways...so it's most often better...than the predictions..

Last edited:

Cornhead

beware of the logging trucks.

And moose! Saw my first in ME, have seen them in VT since, you for sure don't want to hit one, if you do, try to get low, they tend to flatten out windshields/roofs, much different than hitting a deer, they tend to fly right over your car, at least from personal experience they do.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

jenychen

Hey NY'ers traveling up to Sugarloaf Friday -- should we try and caravan our way up?
Get lunch in Portland or somewhere else fun along the way!? :thumbup:

SLOWSNO

if we can make it all work out it might be nice to hit something up in portland! Should we start researching delicious sandwich shops?

Hey NY'ers traveling up to Sugarloaf Friday -- should we try and caravan our way up?

wa-loaf

if we can make it all work out it might be nice to hit something up in portland! Should we start researching delicious sandwich shops?

Freeport might be easier for you all to pull off together. There's a Gritty's there with decent pub food and beer.

bigbog

For the Friday - Monday I wouldn't get up early Friday, but I would ski Monday before making the 8 hr drive home.
Today's predictions are sayin' Sunday night snow into early Mon AM.. Monday should be good...but Sat-Sun temps look good so should be a good time......
Looks like I get stuck on Friday in a phone interview....guess I'll get over there Sat..

Mindiggity

An 8 hr/12 person/3 car caravan sounds like the worst idea ever. I predict about 20 separate ill-timed pee stops.

I'll be waiting for you all in the 30-person hot tub.

@bigbog- No phone interviewing from a car?