• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NY'ers take on Maine

Mindiggity

Starting a new thread for all of us Maine newbies who've never skied there before. Any tips, cool places to hang out, best place to Aprés?

Headed to the AZ Summit at the Loaf in 2 weeks!

Cornhead

Representing NYS here, third AZ Summit, first official. If we get snow like last year, you WILL be impressed. Now where is that car-o-the future that'll make the 9hr drive while I sleep?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

NamofNY

So what exactly is going to happen when I get up to Maine? Do you NY'ers disappear like the Bermuda Triangle?

ScottySkis

Representing NYS here, third AZ Summit, first official. If we get snow like last year, you WILL be impressed. Now where is that car-o-the future that'll make the 9hr drive while I sleep?

We need Google car to self drive it self.

Mindiggity

Also, if there are other NY'ers going up for the Summit weekend and have extra room in their car, let me know!

Cornhead

@Cornhead- Do you ski and then drive home on Sunday? How brutal is that? I'm nervous....

Ha, Scotty thinks that's happening, silly boy. I am a little nuts. I left the house at midnight to arrive at Saddleback at opening. I picked up a liter of Mountain Dew to get me through the day. I went to toss it into the woods at the top of the hill, it bounced back and settled on the edge of the trail. I didn't think anyone would bother it. My next ride up the chair the Dew was gone! NOOOOOOO! Ski Patrol probably thought it was trash, it was full. Somehow I made it through the day, I was glad I didn't drown in the hot tub that night.

Another time I was at Sugarloaf in the Spring when it dawned on me if I skied til close, I'd be arriving home at 3 AM, that doesn't include the nap, or two, along the way. I stopped halfway down a trail and called work.

CORNHEAD: I have to take a day off next week for work-share, right?

BOSS: Yeah

CORNHEAD: How about tomorrow?

BOSS: Why, where are you?

CORNHEAD: Maine

BOSS: Are you hiking?

CORNHEAD: No, I'm skiing.

BOSS: Skiing!? (April 29th), They still have snow?

CORNHEAD: Hell yeah they've got snow! They've got snow on the BACK SIDE of the mountain!

It was an awesome Spring in Maine that year, the back side of da Loaf was open on April 29th. I skied Tucks on Memorial Day Weekend that year.

If you can't be off from work that Monday, it will be a loooong day, just plan on pulling over and catching a few z's if you get drowsy. Mountain Dew is good, the preferred drink of 3rd shifters.;) Where in NY will you start your journey?

Cornhead

Why won't anyone answer my question?

Sorry, no help here, my drinking days are behind me. As was said, The Bag and Kettle is on the hill. I think there's a bar at the condos, where the welcoming party is. There's also one or two on the access road I believe.

catskillman

@ Sunday River in town there is a bar with entertainment that has a sunken bar. You sit in chairs at the bar and the bartender is sunk below you. I do not recall the name but everything about the place was interesting and fun.

wa-loaf

Why won't anyone answer my question?

Everything is pretty self contained you can walk or take the shuttle around, no need to drive. There is a kick-off party in the penthouse of the Hotel. It might be really crowded and beer ran out quick last year. After that head to the Widowmaker in the base lodge, The Bag and Kettle, or The Shipyard in the Sugarloaf Inn. Repeat Sat night with pre party at Widowmaker.

McBoggers

Everything is pretty self contained you can walk or take the shuttle around, no need to drive. There is a kick-off party in the penthouse of the Hotel. It might be really crowded and beer ran out quick last year. After that head to the Widowmaker in the base lodge, The Bag and Kettle, or The Shipyard in the Sugarloaf Inn. Repeat Sat night with pre party at Widowmaker.

Widowmaker is an excellent name for a bar.

wa-loaf

Widowmaker is an excellent name for a bar.

Also, the name of a trail. Though its been tamed from it's heyday in the 70s. Pretty much all the trails at the loaf are named after logging terminology.

Mindiggity

@Cornhead Starting from NYC. What about you? Don't think I can officially take off on Monday, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned into a "sick day". :eek:

jenychen

For the Sugarloaf Apres/Nightlife experts: curious what the music situation is like. Live music, DJs?