• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why XC ain't so bad

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Thursday cont...
1606843_10203012184924227_742499010_n.jpg

1620779_10203012185324237_667380701_n.jpg

2ezyge3y.jpg

I'm hooked. It's amazing how 11" of snow can even make New Jersey look pretty.

KD7000

I love XC. Heading out into the woods for fresh tracks is pure joy for me. No stress, no cost (well, after buying the gear), no lines, no noise other than nature.

Angus

I downhill 15-20X per season but get out XC skiing 30+ (when we have a good snow year locally). Love to skate and classic - awesome workout and great scenery. My count this year so far is 3 times downhill and 12+ XC (all local). Folks close to Boston should check out Weston Ski Track (they make snow), Great Brook in Carlisle or Windblown in New Ipswich NH.

btw: last season I was skiing Left Gully and was met one of our Olympic woman biathletes who was making it look easy on XC skis...it was fun to watch her.

moresnow

Do you think the condition will remain ok Sunday? Are there many walkers mucking up the track?

I haven't been there since this snow fall, but it tends to be a pretty popular area for hikers. If you are looking for some possibly untracked snow, aim for the eastern end of the park. Less scenic, but it tends to see less traffic.

Jersey Skier

I haven't been there since this snow fall, but it tends to be a pretty popular area for hikers. If you are looking for some possibly untracked snow, aim for the eastern end of the park. Less scenic, but it tends to see less traffic.

I haven't been to Watchung since it was legal to MTB there. I have a pair of XC BC skis that have never been used. For a first timer, which end of the park would be easiest?

moresnow

I haven't been to Watchung since it was legal to MTB there. I have a pair of XC BC skis that have never been used. For a first timer, which end of the park would be easiest?

It's been quite a while if you mountain biked there. Probably pushing 20 years. It was a fun park to roll around.

I'm not sure which end would be easier for a first time XCer. It looks like Root skied near Lake Surprise and down the blue brook. That's a good a place as any. Stick to the bridal trails and you should be fine.

Follow the link for a trail map:
http://ucnj.org/community/watchung-reservation/

KD7000

Folks close to Boston should check out Weston Ski Track (they make snow), Great Brook in Carlisle or Windblown in New Ipswich NH.
Good suggestions. Weston is great for getting a few laps in when conditions would otherwise be unskiable, and renting gear for the first time if you just want to try it. Great Brook is gorgeous. I've never been to Windblown but I've heard it's quite nice.

Out closer to me- me favorite location is the trail network along the southern edge of Wachusett Reservoir. Typically, the hardcore guys track out the primary trails within a day of a good storm. So even if you're on really skinny touring skis, you'll have a good time. And it's fairly well marked, so no great chance of getting lost if you happen to be breaking a fresh trail.

Cannonball

Glad to see this thread having some legs.
Just got in from a lap around the golf course. It's a place I'd never go without snow. But toss a few inches of fluff down and it makes for a great workout while everyone else is huddled inside waiting for summer.

Capture3.jpg