• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Hermitage Club 1-25-14

twinplanx

Wonder if they need Mtn. Ops. staff? (assuming a season pass is an employee benefit)

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

drjeff

It looks like they have made some serious investment in snowmaking... thanks for the pictures.

The vast majority of the equipment that I saw on the mountain was either new (purchased within the last 2 seasons) Techno Alpin fan guns (I'd say that I easily saw at least 50 of them) and HKD Impulse air/water towers (I'd guess over 100 of those I saw both on fixed and portable towers) with some old "ASC era" ground guns by the side of a trail every so often. For one like my self that enjoys not just the product from the guns, but also looking at the guns themselves, it was quite evident the investment that has been made to deliver great quality snow in the most efficient way

Newpylong

It is amazing to look at their Snow Report and it seems most if not all of their snowmaking terrain is open. That is impressive...

drjeff

It is amazing to look at their Snow Report and it seems most if not all of their snowmaking terrain is open. That is impressive...

From what I saw on Saturday, the only snowmaking terrain that wasn't ropes down on the upper mountain was part of the run out coming back from the Witches that takes people past the top of the soon to open Stag's Leap Quad, and the only reason that trail wasn't ropes down (there was a bunch of whales already made on it) is that the last 50 yards or so of it takes you right past the top of the new quad, which is still a semi active construction site!

The lower mountain, while not open yet, was also getting some serious attention from their snowmaking equipment, so I'm guessing as soon as the new lift passes it's load test, the lower mountain will be wide open too.

Plus, Mirror Lake, their snowmaking pond right next to the entrance house was still quite full, so they have plenty of "ammo" left to send through the pipes and out the nozzles! :)

slatham

Wow, not my thing but from looking at the conditions and the "crowds" I can see the appeal. Lets face it, boring, repetetive terrain with great snow beats new and interesting terrain with terrible (or no) snow!

One thing I question is whether that level of snowmaking, combined with minimal crowds, can be afforded long term?

deadheadskier

Staff member
What are the lift ticket costs for guests of members? Do they limit how many guests each member can invite on the hill each day?

drjeff

What are the lift ticket costs for guests of members? Do they limit how many guests each member can invite on the hill each day?

Not sure what they charge/will charge for a guest ticket. One of the things that they include for members upon joining is 180 (or maybe it was 185? There was so much info that they provided that it was almost overwhelming!) complimentary guest vouchers with no expiration date! So my guess is that even for members who bring a bunch of non member family and guests up with them, it will likely be a couple of seasons before they'd have to purchase a guest pass

I didn't hear them mention a limit on the number of daily guests that a member can bring

Last edited:

xwhaler

There appears to be a lot of benefits for the investment. $50k initial investment plus $5k/yr that covers a family for skiing, private access, spa, etc seems at least like something that some folks could consider.
The $50k is a big up front cost for sure but many exclusive golf courses have initiation fees in this neighborhood. I know a guy who recently married into a family who has a long standing membership to Salem (MA) country club. Initiation fees he told me were $35k but if he got in before his 35th birthday it would be 1/2 that.
Annual dues I think were somewhere in the 7-8k range. This is per person. If you want to add your wife as a non-golfing social member its another couple grand per yr.
It's not something I could afford or would want to be locked in to 1 golf course/ski hill but for the exclusivity and experience its not totally outrageous I don't think.

drJeff: Is a golf membership included with the rates you outlined above?
If so I think this makes it an even better 'value' at least when compared to other high end ventures. The Sugarbush "Fancy Pass" (golf and skiing) is $3800 for individuals and $7k for a family.
Not comparing Haystack terrain to Sugarbush in any way but at least worth noting.

drjeff

There appears to be a lot of benefits for the investment. $50k initial investment plus $5k/yr that covers a family for skiing, private access, spa, etc seems at least like something that some folks could consider.
The $50k is a big up front cost for sure but many exclusive golf courses have initiation fees in this neighborhood. I know a guy who recently married into a family who has a long standing membership to Salem (MA) country club. Initiation fees he told me were $35k but if he got in before his 35th birthday it would be 1/2 that.
Annual dues I think were somewhere in the 7-8k range. This is per person. If you want to add your wife as a non-golfing social member its another couple grand per yr.
It's not something I could afford or would want to be locked in to 1 golf course/ski hill but for the exclusivity and experience its not totally outrageous I don't think.

drJeff: Is a golf membership included with the rates you outlined above?
If so I think this makes it an even better 'value' at least when compared to other high end ventures. The Sugarbush "Fancy Pass" (golf and skiing) is $3800 for individuals and $7k for a family.
Not comparing Haystack terrain to Sugarbush in any way but at least worth noting.

Yup, golf is included with that annual fee too. My wife and I both thought that for what was included in the annual fee (or at least what will be included once the base lodge is complete later this year) that the annual dues weren't unreasonable at all.

If they continue on the initiation fee increase schedule they have, about a year from now it will be just over 100k!!! :eek:

The folks who got in on the "ground level" when memberships were starting to be sold a roughly 2 years ago, appeared to have gotten quite a good deal as their initiation fee was either 20 or 25k.

With close to 300 memberships sold so far, there appears to be a bunch of folks who both are sold on the vision that Jim Barnes has for the club, as well as the value that it will provide them.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I guess the reason I ask about ticket prices for guests is because I am in lerops camp that $5k per family doesn't seem like enough revenue to sustain good annual snowmaking efforts. I assume most of the initiation fees will be going towards capital expenditures withe the start up.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Nice pics. Looks like they've done a great job with the cover. This is much better than how things were looking there a few short years ago.

JohnQ

On Saturday a friend offered to share some passes with me; sounds like I should take him up on that.

5k a year is quite reasonable for weekend skiing and unlimited golf. Ultimate value depends on whether the initiation is returned at a certain percentage upon resignation. With Deerfield Valley airport right next door it opens up the club to a much broader geography. Ultimately, you need to factor in the second home cost as well. If it's in one of the communities they're pushing then it really drives the cost up.

Tin

Any idea what is up with the location of the new quad? Just for people to get to the main mountain from their condos/living area?

jaytrem

Any idea what is up with the location of the new quad? Just for people to get to the main mountain from their condos/living area?

It basically replaces 2 old lifts (it has a mid-station unload), 1 that served the lower mountain, and one that connected the lower mountain to the upper mountain. It should turn out to be very useful as I think all the terrain park stuff is going to be on the lower mountain.

madvibes

The new Stag's Leap quad opens up a bunch of learning terrain that hasn't been opened since the early 2000's. It allows homeowners to ski down to the lift, has a mid-station drop so they can get back home or lap the learning terrain, and brings you up to just above the new club house to get on upper mountain lifts.