• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton 1/25-26

Next stop on my Northeast tour for USSA Moguls was Stratton. The course was just built so it was fast and friendly to the athletes. Although, the nickname Flatton certainly still rings true, a resourceful skier can always find something. It snowed all day Saturday and the place was packed. Lines were quite long at the base and on the upper mountain. Around 1 they finally opened the Snowbowl lift which I lapped the rest of the day. Snow was piling up and the woods while still bony skied quite nice. Edges of the trail had nice powder. Sunday dawned sunny and the views were gorgeous. I was able to score a first tracks ticket and I got up at 8am. Under the gondola, and the Enchanted Forest were sweet. Dancing Bear was open, but untracked until late as were other certain reserved areas. Next stop Killington.

Attachments

• IMG_00001083.jpg
    IMG_00001083.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_00001073.jpg
    IMG_00001073.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_00001079.jpg
    IMG_00001079.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_00001080.jpg
    IMG_00001080.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_00001082.jpg
    IMG_00001082.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 167

sf77

Wow, that's some really nice powder in the trees and on the trails. Must have been awesome to ski on! :snow:

drjeff

I was there yesterday too, but for the Southern VT Council U10 stubbie slalom race.

The conditions were great! But boy was it chilly!! The fact that my car thermometer read 4 degrees when I headed back to Mount Snow about 3:30 kind of sums up the air temp yesterday, let alone that persistent NW wind!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

soposkier

I see stratton has $48 tickets on liftopia for super bowl sunday. I've never been, worth giving it a try? Usually would just do Magic if I were making the trip to SoVT, but the way conditions are right now was thinking of changing it up

drjeff

Great TR. Thanks for posting. Hoping to get back there soon.

Glenn, I feel quite comfortable in saying that it was distinctly colder at Stratton on Sunday then when I saw you and Mitz getting of the Grand Summit Saturday AM! Even E, the nuclear heater kid, got cold on Sunday!! D was skiing holding his poles under is arm pits so that he could try and grip his handwarmers, but still insisted that we keep lapping the parks! It was Cold-o-witz!!:)

Oncefast

I see stratton has $48 tickets on liftopia for super bowl sunday. I've never been, worth giving it a try? Usually would just do Magic if I were making the trip to SoVT, but the way conditions are right now was thinking of changing it up

Stratton is usually empty by 2 PM on SB Sunday. However, last Sunday it was empty as the cold meant a lot of skiers stayed home. Might be some pent up demand, especially if the Accuweather forecast holds for Saturday night.

mdrew

I like Stratton. Only got to ski it for the first time last year. Got a great deal from Rue la la ($50 weekend lift tickets) . Had really wanted to book a few days stay there this year, but alas I'm having a baby and down ski hilling is a big no no. Hopefully, we'll be able to do it next year.