• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What's Up With Hunter K27 and Clare's Way

catskills

Thinking about skiing midweek day at Hunter. I have not been there this year yet. I figured with all the very cold days below 0f and great snowmaking weather that the entire mountain would be opened including all the trails on the west side.

I just checked their snow report:

K27 - closed
Clare's Way - Closed from top only opened at bottom part that is groomed.

Ahh hello somebody tell me what is going on. This is suppose to be the snow making capital of the world.

In past years I would head up to Hunter when they were making snow on Clare's and had a great time skiing in boot top man made powder. Its going to start getting warmer in 7 to 10 days, which means its more expensive to make snow later. Does this mean no K27 or Clare's for the rest of the year?

Just asking

skiking4

Well Upper Taylor's is pretty much what's usually open on the West Side, not Upper Clair's. They are pretty much the same run.

catskillman

Upper and lower K are open - lower was wonderful late Saturday. Yesterday Clairs was open and covered with huge wales.

It was very cold but great snow this weekend

JimG.

Staff member
Lower K and Clair's were awesome yesterday. Tons of snow made! TONS!

After skiing at state run areas my last 2 ski days (Belleayre and Gore) I was really glad to get back to my home mountain. Hunter is by far the snowmaking king in NY.

millerm277

K27 and Clairs both have plenty of snow and have been open for weeks.

If they were listed as closed it was either an error or a temporary issue due to conditions or the like.

catskills

Thanks !!! Yup upper/lower K27 is opened. Must have caught a time warp when I looked early this morning.

Clair's still looks closed to me except for the groomed part below Wayout. Maybe I am reading this all wrong. I hope. Good to hear Clarir's had good snow this weekend. I will have to see what happens tomorrow when the next cold spells move in.

skiking4

Thanks !!! Yup upper/lower K27 is opened. Must have caught a time warp when I looked early this morning.

Clair's still looks closed to me except for the groomed part below Wayout. Maybe I am reading this all wrong. I hope. Good to hear Clarir's had good snow this weekend. I will have to see what happens tomorrow when the next cold spells move in.

Dude dude upper Taylor's is what's usually open. And in the morning it often has a ? Because of delayed opening for west side

keyser soze

I was there yesterday and skied both and they were in very good shape. A couple of boilerplate tops of moguls, but plenty of snow if you stayed away from those small spots. I rode the lift with a couple of patrollers and they said had Hunter has the biggest base in North America, and an average of > 100". Don't know how true that is, but they do lay down a ton of snow and it was piled high at the tops of a few trails.

It was -4 at the top until after lunch.

SKI-3PO

Lower K was great on Sunday. Especially early in the day, everything on the east side was great with the sun and the wind relatively blocked on that side. Upper Racers was pretty slick most of the day.

Funny last week people were killing them for not making snow on 44 or Purna. Nice to see that they're finally getting to one of them.

skiking4

Lower K was great on Sunday. Especially early in the day, everything on the east side was great with the sun and the wind relatively blocked on that side. Upper Racers was pretty slick most of the day.

Funny last week people were killing them for not making snow on 44 or Purna. Nice to see that they're finally getting to one of them.

Purna is all natural.

It used to be 44 that was all natural but they switched the two around.

SKI-3PO

First time I've heard that. I thought they just choose to make snow on one or the other depending on...whatever they feel like.

JimG.

Staff member
First time I've heard that. I thought they just choose to make snow on one or the other depending on...whatever they feel like.

Because the quad now goes over 44 they decided to blow there instead of Purna. I think it still looks weak when they can only cover half the trail with snowmaking. Now Purna gets nothing. There are many regulars like me who feel they should blow on Purna and let 44 go natural-44 is a snowmaking pig.

We've argued this before here, I know skiking4 feels it is better to leave Purna natural. The way it works out in the end is that I ski whatever they open. I would prefer Purna to 44 though.

SKI-3PO

My point was that there is a difference in their choice of where to blow vs. only having the ability to blow on one of them. My understanding is that if they wanted to, they could blow both of them.